guys help me out on my new Aurion ATX

chrissie

Hi guys, I just bought second hand Aurion 07 with 66,000 km from Toyota for my wife.

she loved it, unfortunately few things bit strange, may you guys advise me if this is normal for aurion?

1. the car lack of power in the low rev 0-50 specially on the hill position, Is it normal for the 3.5 ltr engine? i have to put more throtle then sudden burst of power ( not very ecconomical way of driving)

2. is it normal to get 400k for the full tank and sometimes with AC (short drive and very efficient way of driving)?

3. when the car idle i can hear the engine idling sound like big four wheel drive? is it normal?

4. I have this odour from the AC smell like baby powder at start then fade away in few minutes, i just worry if the smell that i inhaled is something leaking inside?

5. The boot, is it normal not to have a piece board or hard material to separate between the spare tyre and the boot space?

Thank you guys i just need few opinion before i bring it back to service.

Christian

1. the car lack of power in the low rev 0-50 specially on the hill position, Is it normal for the 3.5 ltr engine? i have to put more throtle then sudden burst of power ( not very ecconomical way of driving)

You have to remember that the Aurion makes maximum torque at 4700 RPM and maximum power at 6200RPM. This essentially means that you will feel most of the power just before 4700 RPM all the way up to 6200 RPM. One advantage of this is that when you are cruising at lower RPM's, the engine is rather efficient. This is actually rather economical in a way.

2. is it normal to get 400k for the full tank and sometimes with AC (short drive and very efficient way of driving)?

If you have a read around the forums here, you will find that when the fuel gauge sits on empty and the cruising range shows '0km', there is still around 10-15 litres of fuel left in the tank. This means that the span from full to empty is only around 55-60 litres (even less if you fill earlier). Therefore, with city driving with the A/C on, 400km would seem about right. The best way to determine how fuel efficient your car is would be to do a manual calculation by paying attention to how much fuel you pump into the tank versus distance traveled between fills.

3. when the car idle i can hear the engine idling sound like big four wheel drive? is it normal?

The 2GR-FE is known to sound a bit like a diesel engine when it is idling. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

4. I have this odour from the AC smell like baby powder at start then fade away in few minutes, i just worry if the smell that i inhaled is something leaking inside?

There are whole range of different A/C smells you can get. Primarily these are caused by bacteria on the evaporator. Usually the problematic smells are those that smell like fish but baby powder is a bit of a new one. Maybe someone tried to rectify the problem or spilt some powder in the footwell and the A/C blower motor picked it up.

5. The boot, is it normal not to have a piece board or hard material to separate between the spare tyre and the boot space?

Definitely not normal. This should be there so you can sit things in the boot without them sinking into any gaps with the spare tire.

i just need to find that piece of board in the boot? do you know what is it call? thanks heaps

Sure thing. This is what you are after:

64770-06200 - COVER ASSY, SPARE WHEEL

This could be due to the way in which the "drive-by-wire" throttle works compared to a cable-driven throttle.

This could be due to the way in which the "drive-by-wire" throttle works compared to a cable-driven throttle.

Not particularly, but your response just reminded me of a critical point... gears.

The gearbox is designed to shift into 6th gear as quickly as possible. As the 1:1 gear is the 4th gear, 5th and 6th serve as your overdrive gears. As a result, you won't get much power out of these gears, so when you put your foot down to accelerate, it needs to drop these two gears at the least before you get some decent pulling power. The gearbox is fairly laggy as it is, so this really adds to it.

Come to think of it, this would be the more appropriate answer to your question. I wasn't thinking that well at the time.

Could also be poor quality fuel?

I have found the responsiveness to be particularly poor when using no-name servo 91-octane (it was an emergency refill - normally only use 98 octane!). The gearbox does also have learning capabilities, so if you drive it like a granny much of the time it does tend to be a little more reluctant to take off or drop down a gear.

Welcome to the board.

I recommend you do three things.

1. Unplug the battery and leave it unplugged for an hour. This will reset the ECU and start to learn your wife's driving habits and tune the car appropriately. It should also smooth out the gears.

2. Buy 2 bottles of Fuel Doctor (don't waste your time with any other fuel/ignition cleaner brand). At next fill up put one whole bottle in the top up the fuel. Then (if she can manage it) put the recommended amount in each or every second fillup.

3. Open up the air filter and inspect it (participially the bottom of it) my Aurion had twigs and leaves in it after Toyota Lander said they had inspected the car completely (Although it probably wasnt enough to do anything, I'm not a mechanic).

These are some of the things I did when I received my used Aurion, but please research and proceed at your own comfort.