Full tank of fuel with new car a thing of the past?

BigBad64

Picked up the new Kluger yesterday and when driving off I was surprised to hear my wife say we only had 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

So the first drive included a trip to the service station to put in $60 worth of fuel.

I though that was a bit stingy, having just bought $50,000 worth of car.

Is it standard practice now to not get a full tank of fuel at delivery?

We picked ours up on Friday and it had just under 1/2 a tank worth....which I was disappointed about, but didn't care too much, as the next day I filled it up with 95RON anyway :)

Back in 2003 when we purchased my Mazda SP20, it came with a full tank of "premium unleaded - 98RON", which I appreciated.

Six years later and a GFC under the belt, things seem much different...

NO, it's not a thing of the past.

My local Toyota dealer put a full tank of fuel in on delivery of my Kluger, let alone a great price.

Also a year and a bit later I bought a used Hyundai for $9500 drive away for my daughter from the same dealer and got a full tank again.

Also my daughter thought the CD unit was not up to scratch and got a new Kenwood remote unit fitted within 48 hrs, no questions asked. Nor did they test the unit to verify my daughters claims. Lessor dealers may have said the head unit is not under warranty me thinks.

Together with other good points to praise along the journey from this dealer.

They are Jacobs Toyota Wodonga.

I've zero affilation with them in anyway, just appreciate good service which I never got over many years wiith my many new RTS cars.

Edited by fish475

I suppose I just assumed they'd provide a full tank of fuel and was more surprised than anything.

Looks like it depends on the dealer, or as Blackkluger said, make it a part of the sale conditions.

Oh well, what's another $60 when I spent that much I suppose. :P

Cheers.

Picked up the new Kluger yesterday and when driving off I was surprised to hear my wife say we only had 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

So the first drive included a trip to the service station to put in $60 worth of fuel.

Just wait until your car gets recalled for a fatal engine fault and your treated like a f7cken idiot and are asked to accept a sub standard 50 cents rubber repair that is not good enough for the new vehicles in the Dealers lot :angry:

OH WHAT A FEELING ! Toyota!!!

We had our KXS AWD delivered on Thursday and had 1/4 tank, no other extras. whist not expected disappointing none the less.

They didn't even clear some of the residual from the stickers protecting the paint either and some of the protective plastics covering the seats was left laying on the floor.

The last car was a 2007 Mazda CX-7 had full tank of petrol, a complimentary picnic set thrown in and excellent service to boot.

That sucks.

Lander Toyota Sales verbally promised me a full tank of fuel on pick up and didnt deliver. Then I told them it didnt happen and again verbally they said it would happen when I had to take the car back a week later for some spraying but again it didnt happen.

Poor sales customer service.

That sucks.

Lander Toyota Sales verbally promised me a full tank of fuel on pick up and didnt deliver. Then I told them it didnt happen and again verbally they said it would happen when I had to take the car back a week later for some spraying but again it didnt happen.

Poor sales customer service.

Lander Toyota. I learn my lesson there.

I didn't have a full tank with a brand new car back in 2005.

D35

Edited by D35

With a caryard, verbal = lie, written in contract = them over a barrel...

Or in Lander Toyotas case the written contract is a lie as well. They swapped the promise sheet with omitted promises. Shifty ***** Jenal.. he has since been fired so I hope this isn't a common practice with the other sales reps..

I have bought 3 new ('00, '05 & '08) and 1 ex demo ('08) vehicles in the last 9 years and all have been delivered with a full tank. This is also from 4 different Qld dealers, 2 in Brisbane, 1 Gold Coast and 1 Sunshine Coast.

Barely had 1/8 of a tank when mine was handed over. Apparently the heafty dealer delivery fees (read profit margin) they charge doesn't include a full tank. I guess when you're selling lots of vehicles it would add up.

They also had the audacity to ask me to pay an extra $0.48 when I went to pick up the vehicle as they couldn't get their accounts system to print out an invoice with the agreed total on it! Was tempted excercise my right under the sale contract to terminate the sale based on the dealer price variation clause, and walk out.

When we went to pick up our new Prado on 05, we were told that the sales girl had just taken it down to the servo to put some fuel in it and would be back in a couple of minutes. 15 minute later she turned. She had filled BOTH tanks, 180 litres in total. :D We didn't have to put petrol in it for about 2 months.

Ask before you sign, its amazing what the difference is....it was hard even with a 60+k car 2 + years ago...but I got it :spiteful:

• 4 weeks later...

We picked up our demo KX-S yesterday from Cannon Toyota in Camberwell and it came with original Kluger floormats and a full tank of petrol, without us asking. Very pleased!!

Edited by Cobbo

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised when Swan Hill Toyota gave me a Full Tank in the 2009 Kluger, and surprised again with a Full Tank in my brothers 2009 Aurion, because my wife only got half a Tank in her 2008 Yaris... so while its not standard practice if they do give you a full tank its another reason to come back and do business with them again... think of it as a bonus!

:clap:

Oh and if you find your self there ask for Kyal... I found him very Patient and Genuine, something to look foward to compared to previous sales consultants ive encountered.

Cheers!

David