MCV36R Camry Sportivo V6 power issues

Andrew357

Recently (Wednesday) I noticed that my car doesn't have the same ooomph it used to have.

Acceleration is weak as is engine response. For example: High revs + dropping the clutch = very little wheelspin, where before I would get signicantly more wheelspin. Also, dropping back gears for more power definitely doesn't have the same effect it usually has.

The exhaust note is not as full as it has been in the past. Fuel is always 98RON.

Engine bay appears to be ok, but I don't know what to look for; Who should I take her into to get checked? A toyota dealer or a mechanic? (Keeping in mind the 110k service is 500km away)

sounds sensor related by the sounds of it. i'd personally take it in for a service now rather than waiting another 500kms. if its sensor related, a diagnostics test will tell.

to fix this problem....install a TRD supercharger :P :whistling:

hahaha

Got word from Adam that the rebuild is complete. Practically getting a new S/C apparently.

Awaiting next contact for payment + postage details.

haha yeah nice, im getting my headers done this thursday, shipping and customs is a bitch, i found that out, he knows how to overcome the odds though :P

I've been told he's the best.

How much are the headers setting you back?

Recently (Wednesday) I noticed that my car doesn't have the same ooomph it used to have.

Acceleration is weak as is engine response. For example: High revs + dropping the clutch = very little wheelspin, where before I would get signicantly more wheelspin. Also, dropping back gears for more power definitely doesn't have the same effect it usually has.

The exhaust note is not as full as it has been in the past. Fuel is always 98RON.

Engine bay appears to be ok, but I don't know what to look for; Who should I take her into to get checked? A toyota dealer or a mechanic? (Keeping in mind the 110k service is 500km away)

Hey mate,

I'd suggest checking for any vacuum leaks or clogging in the intake on the right around the air box. Generally when the air becomes hot I'd notice a slight drop in power... also aircon will make a difference too. Make sure that the throttle kickdown cable isn't loose either (might not be pulling as much as it should)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hrmm...

Took it into Southside Toyota yesterday and for the first time I was unimpressed with their service.

Apparently they can't hook the ECU up to their diagnosing machine thing because of the engine mods (ie - The headers). Apparently, 'some' of my O2 sensors are put on incorrectly (1 before and 1 after the Catalytic Converter). However, from the description Supatouring has told me, it appears that the ONLY 2 O2 sensors are placed correctly.

But, according to the Service Advisor this will 'screw up' their machine.

Sounds like they had no idea what to do and they just fobbed me off, the dude even suggested some performance shop.

No engine fix + no brake install = Andrew being annoyed @ Southside Toyota

Hrmm...

Took it into Southside Toyota yesterday and for the first time I was unimpressed with their service.

Apparently they can't hook the ECU up to their diagnosing machine thing because of the engine mods (ie - The headers). Apparently, 'some' of my O2 sensors are put on incorrectly (1 before and 1 after the Catalytic Converter). However, from the description Supatouring has told me, it appears that the ONLY 2 O2 sensors are placed correctly.

But, according to the Service Advisor this will 'screw up' their machine.

Sounds like they had no idea what to do and they just fobbed me off, the dude even suggested some performance shop.

No engine fix + no brake install = Andrew being annoyed @ Southside Toyota

in all fairness, i would tend to agree with the service advisor. their diagnostic machine is only designed to measure and test strictly oem settings, within certain tolerance levels. anyone with half a brain (figure of speech, dont get offended!) would realise that the mods youve done (however minor they may be) would tend to skew the results and make the readings of the machine inaccurate. if the changes to the cars settings were to be based on inaccurate readings, your car wouldnt run much better

at least on the bright side youve saved a bit of money

Doing some troubleshooting with Supatouring has revealed that the MAF sensor was loose. I have since reset the ECU and it appears to be back to normal. Have only done single ~70km drive so far but the results are promising so far.

Engine + exhaust notes were back as was pickup.

Doing some troubleshooting with Supatouring has revealed that the MAF sensor was loose. I have since reset the ECU and it appears to be back to normal. Have only done single ~70km drive so far but the results are promising so far.

Almost guaranteed a fix if you know this bloke... lol. I know him personally and seeing him and Anthony in Byron Bay going "blah blah blah you can do it this way... blah blah blah" and I sit there going :blink: <_<

Almost guaranteed a fix if you know this bloke... lol. I know him personally and seeing him and Anthony in Byron Bay going "blah blah blah you can do it this way... blah blah blah" and I sit there going :blink: <_<

Yeah man. David is like the king of the Camry.

Yeah man. David is like the king of the Camry.

I know, it is amazing.

Don't say it too loud though, he might hear and start charging for his advice! :toast: