Coilovers for newer corolla's (ZZE122-123)

Due to contrary belief and no faith in some ''cheaper' coilovers... the G4's i have handle Mt. Nebo as if the car is on rails!

I took the car up there on friday night, and the ability to take corners alot quicker then when i had the kings Lows in on the Stock shocks.

i can feel safe about instead of slowing down heaps for the corners, i can stick the car into it, and it just holds so well.

So do i regret getting the G4's?? NO WAY! THEY ARE F***** AWESOME! :D :yahoo: LOVE EM B)

Evo

Look up track tyres and you will see they aren't available in low profile for a reason. The difference between a 16, a 17 and a 15 on the street will be negligible. I compete on 15s and I'm not seeing any loss in handling. But most people buy rims for show, so yes bigger rims do look better and 17s on the Corolla look less awkward than 15s. Don't forget to pay attention to the rim width, which is just as critical to handling as the rest of the specs.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/EagleRS_09SEP09.pdf

Racing tires that'll fit my 18's and my 17's...

If you came here for advice, take it from someone who knows what they are talking about. He's trying to help you, and in time (if you last that long) you will see SD has PLENTY of good (and proven) advice to offer you.

If you came here to make yourself look stupid, ignore this comment and continue on your merry way.

• 4 weeks later...
Look up track tyres and you will see they aren't available in low profile for a reason. The difference between a 16, a 17 and a 15 on the street will be negligible. I compete on 15s and I'm not seeing any loss in handling. But most people buy rims for show, so yes bigger rims do look better and 17s on the Corolla look less awkward than 15s. Don't forget to pay attention to the rim width, which is just as critical to handling as the rest of the specs.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/EagleRS_09SEP09.pdf

Racing tires that'll fit my 18's and my 17's...

If you came here for advice, take it from someone who knows what they are talking about. He's trying to help you, and in time (if you last that long) you will see SD has PLENTY of good (and proven) advice to offer you.

If you came here to make yourself look stupid, ignore this comment and continue on your merry way.

My apologies if that's what it appears to look like. You and the rest of the people that have posted have very logical points, Yes, bigger rims will be heavier and handle worse, under most conditions, unless the suspension was designed to run with that size rim AND with the car it's going into.

I don't understand a few things though, such as the radial thing, yes. They're Asymmetric, meaning they can spin in any direction, which is good if your front left blows out, and you want to swap it with your rear right. But I don't understand how they are better than directional tires. Otherwise.

Also, as far as the coilovers/suspention go, Everyone's thrown brands at me that I've never heard of. Sure, I've heard of Tein, HKS, Bilstien, Ksport, and a few others. But how would I be able to compare them all, without purchasing "ALL" of them, and trialing them one after another? I know that sounds a little stupid. But, everyone's going to swear by a set, and the next person will talk down about the same set, saying it broke in their case. I've seen that in other forums. In saying that. It makes the decision very difficult.

As I said earlier, I didn't mean to sound like I'm challenging what other people are saying, I just was questioning their logic's mainly because I'm new to the upgrading scene. Most of it's logical, but some of it is confusing, Such as tires, rims, whatnot. but hearing explanations from other people makes most of the pieces fall into place.

Due to contrary belief and no faith in some ''cheaper' coilovers... the G4's i have handle Mt. Nebo as if the car is on rails!

I took the car up there on friday night, and the ability to take corners alot quicker then when i had the kings Lows in on the Stock shocks.

i can feel safe about instead of slowing down heaps for the corners, i can stick the car into it, and it just holds so well.

So do i regret getting the G4's?? NO WAY! THEY ARE F***** AWESOME! :D :yahoo: LOVE EM B)

Evo

Holy crap!!! They're Freaking cheap, Yet they look better than the K-Sport Coilovers!!!

The interchangeable "Free" spring swap service is pretty awesome too

Edited by Squall0011

they look ok... we shall see how durable they are?

Do you own a set?

At the moment they're having a half price sale... It looks worth looking into for a $700 set of coilovers shipped FREE over Australia!

Would These:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/G4-Adjustable-Suspe...=item19b92b64bd

Fit my car?

Evo

Haven't really heard many complaints about the performance of D2/G4 coilovers whilst operational...

Just a lot of complaints about their tendency to give up the ghost within about six months. Note the 30 day warranty.

Evo

Haven't really heard many complaints about the performance of D2/G4 coilovers whilst operational...

Just a lot of complaints about their tendency to give up the ghost within about six months. Note the 30 day warranty.

then we shall just wait and see then ;)

I think i am the only one with G4's, but And1 has D2's and i think his is holding up well :D

Evo

Evo

then we shall just wait and see then ;)

I think i am the only one with G4's, but And1 has D2's and i think his is holding up well :D

Evo

I got mine 2nd hand from Mario when he sold his and I've had them on for quite some time now. No real problems such as leaking so far, but the lock ring for adjusting height keeps getting knocked loose :angry:

NZE121 uses the same chassis as the ZZE122/3, so yes.

YES!!! B) :lol: :D

I ended up taking a leap of faith last night, after hours of research hinting that it's the same chassis... Looks like it payed off...

Thanks SuperDave! B)

But the one thing i have learnt from coilovers is ROADS aren't smooth at all :o <_<

ITS AN ILLUSION! :P

Evo

Lol, I'm already aware of that... But I'd personally prefer having harder suspension... Even with all the nicks and bumps in the road... At least that way you "actually" know what your car is going through, rather than have soft/stock suspension "Mask" all but the NASTY bumps. :)

No real problems such as leaking so far, but the lock ring for adjusting height keeps getting knocked loose :angry:

Even my Cusco can do that. Try using some low strength loctite on the ring and see if that holds it in place ;) Be sure to clean the threads as per the instructions on the bottle before using it though.

Evan you haven't been fast enough on Nebo to see if they work :P Even with a S/C hahahahahaha

Seriously some of you need to realise that COILOVERS are not meant for everyday use in a street car. They are designed for cars used for racing purposes on semi smooth surfaces such as race tracks. Why is it that Pillow mounts don't last a long time on coilovers that used on cars as daily drivers???

IMO a quality shock and spring combo is every bit as good as a set of coilovers to a point. That point is being able to adjust height and at 11/10's on a race track is where you may notice a slight difference. But how many of you are on a race track every other week?? Most of you spend more time driving on public roads in traffic so why not set your car up for doing what is does the most of the time and not the infinite minority of time around a race track??

You can set a car up with springs and shocks to handle every bit as good as a set of coilovers but they aren't the only things that need to looked at to make a car handle properly. Sway bars, camber/castor settings, corner weights are but a few other things that need to be addressed to make something REALLY handle.....

No real problems such as leaking so far, but the lock ring for adjusting height keeps getting knocked loose :angry:

Even my Cusco can do that. Try using some low strength loctite on the ring and see if that holds it in place ;) Be sure to clean the threads as per the instructions on the bottle before using it though.

Where exactly are we talking about ???

Right below the springs ??

:huh:

and1 would be refering to the locking ring for the lower clevis, but the same can apply to the locking ring to the lower spring seat.

Make sure to also use proper c-spanners that allow a breaker bar to be used with them to do them up properly ;)

Had the Bilstein adj. co

Awesome bit of KIT

now back to Lovell Superlow springs instead (wife needs to drive it to work)

and yes coilovers in SYDNEY and NSW is STUPID

UNLESS it is a TRACK CAR

Did handle awesome through the nasho though HEHHEHEHEHEHE

Edited by Mecha-wombat

• 1 year later...