Advice needed Driving Brisbane to Melbourne

jordy

Hey guys,

i work at a Toyota dealership here in Brisbane so i know the ins and outs of the kluger. im looking to drive down to Melbourne in January and im interested to see the feedback from current model kluger owners about the fuel consumption.

i have a choice between a aurion sx6 or a kluger kxr 2wd, there will be 4 of us heading down and back home, id prefer to take the kluger for the room, storage etc, but ive been told many different things about the fuel economy, both cars are 08 models with around 40k on them so they are run in,

would i be asking to much for 600km's per tank on the run down in the kluger, or would i be better off taking a aurion down which is far better for fuel?

any pointers for the drive would be great too.

Thanks

Hi, Jordy

Welcome to the forum.

I have just come back from a trip that included Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart. I have a 2008 2WD Grande. I set the meters when I left and 5500 Km later the fuel averaged around 10.3 lt per 100 km. this equated to around 640Km

per tank. I would say for the most part I drove like an old man, not moving off too fast or breaking too suddenly and rarely going above the speed limit. The car performed extremely well and i am very happy with the comfort and drive. (the Sat

Nav performance is another story)

Regards

Ham

Drove from Brisbane to Hervey Bay and back a couple of weekends ago and averaged 10L/100km. Found a 0.5L/100km difference in sitting at 100kph instead of 110kph (according to the GPS not the speedo). Although it was only a 4 hour trip each way, the Kluger was very comfortable.

Driving from Melbourne to Brisbane abiding by the speed limits (with the occasional higher speed overtaking manoeuvre), the Aurion managed 8.2L/100km. Could have been better if I went just a little under the limit I reckon, but I wasn't up for testing that.

So it seems the Kluger will be about 2L/100km more than the Aurion. But as you said, you get more room... so I guess it's up to you to consider what trade-off you want.

Driving from Melbourne to Brisbane abiding by the speed limits (with the occasional higher speed overtaking manoeuvre), the Aurion managed 8.2L/100km. Could have been better if I went just a little under the limit I reckon, but I wasn't up for testing that.

So it seems the Kluger will be about 2L/100km more than the Aurion. But as you said, you get more room... so I guess it's up to you to consider what trade-off you want.

that sounds pretty good, were you getting around 700km's between refils?

that sounds pretty good, were you getting around 700km's between refils?

If I was to push it right till the needle was on empty, I reckon I could have gotten it 700km. Due to the distance betwwen servos though, I didn't get to test that. The most I travelled between fills was 613km. Bear in mind that between full and empty, that is about 60 litres. There is always at least 10 litres in the tank when the needle is on empty.

DSC04126.JPG

• 1 month later...

My VY V6 Commodore would average mid 7's on the long hauls @ 110km/h I could get nearly 900Km out of a tank. hahaha I dont care about fuel economy so much anymore. If I did I would by a prius. Pft. Just fill her up and pay. Thats what happens when you live in the country and fuel gets to $2 bucks a litre. You stop caring. Specially when you go on the trips and get bargin fuel $1.40 per litre

My VY V6 Commodore would average mid 7's on the long hauls @ 110km/h I could get nearly 900Km out of a tank. hahaha I dont care about fuel economy so much anymore. If I did I would by a prius. Pft. Just fill her up and pay. Thats what happens when you live in the country and fuel gets to $2 bucks a litre. You stop caring. Specially when you go on the trips and get bargin fuel $1.40 per litre

I just did the Melb to Brisbane run, did anout 1,600km used average 8.6l/100km. Generally sticking to speed limits, plus the odd shoot to 160km/h to get around those pesky road trains. Filled up in Cranbourne, next fill was West Wyalong (spelling?). Stopped over night at Coonabarabran, 1,000km day is easy in this car (I was by myself), I probably could have done the whole trip in one go I reckon. Only saw 1 roo the whole trip, although I had to brake hard once to avoid an emu that stepped out infornt of me!

... Filled up in Cranbourne, next fill was West Wyalong (spelling?). Stopped over night at Coonabarabran...

Off topic... since I would assume you went that way, how did the Kluger absorb the bumpiness of the Newell? I have sworn to never again drive that road if I need to get to Melbourne. My poor shocks.

... Only saw 1 roo the whole trip, although I had to brake hard once to avoid an emu that stepped out infornt of me!

Emu... now that's a first. I've seen roos (some lying on the lane next to me luckily, some that I've had to avoid... both alive and dead), foxes, and rabbits, but definitely not emus. I have hit a bat of all things though.

... Filled up in Cranbourne, next fill was West Wyalong (spelling?). Stopped over night at Coonabarabran...

Off topic... since I would assume you went that way, how did the Kluger absorb the bumpiness of the Newell? I have sworn to never again drive that road if I need to get to Melbourne. My poor shocks.

... Only saw 1 roo the whole trip, although I had to brake hard once to avoid an emu that stepped out infornt of me!

Emu... now that's a first. I've seen roos (some lying on the lane next to me luckily, some that I've had to avoid... both alive and dead), foxes, and rabbits, but definitely not emus. I have hit a bat of all things though.

The only part of the Newell that was terrible was the stretch between Moree & Goondiwindi. It's a national disgrace. The Kluger handled it OK though.

As for road works, I had to stop 3 times fully for about 5 mins each time.

I just did the Melb to Brisbane run, did anout 1,600km used average 8.6l/100km. Generally sticking to speed limits, plus the odd shoot to 160km/h to get around those pesky road trains. Filled up in Cranbourne, next fill was West Wyalong (spelling?). Stopped over night at Coonabarabran, 1,000km day is easy in this car (I was by myself), I probably could have done the whole trip in one go I reckon. Only saw 1 roo the whole trip, although I had to brake hard once to avoid an emu that stepped out infornt of me!

I should also point out that my Commodore was a EcoTec 5 Speed Manual. theres noway you would get 900km with an auto.