URGENT loosening handbrake cable

NRG71C

Ok, curiosity has the better of me here.

The rubber lugs in the rear rotors appear to be there for no other reason than to adjust the handbrake without removing the rear rotors. Can anyone shed any light on this?

NRG, if it is the handbrake, you will find that it is not the pads rubbing on the disc, but the handbrake 'shoes' (think like the old style drum brake shoes) that grab the inner of the hub being too tight.

The rubber lugs in the rear rotors appear to be there for no other reason than to adjust the handbrake without removing the rear rotors. Can anyone shed any light on this?

NRG, if it is the handbrake, you will find that it is not the pads rubbing on the disc, but the handbrake 'shoes' (think like the old style drum brake shoes) that grab the inner of the hub being too tight.

do you think someone who doesnt even know how to adjust a handbrake will know what their doing if their shuving the screwdriver into the rear rotor hole? shoes can be already worn best to inspect before adjusting, thats like a mechanic calling a customer saying " your shoe needs adjusting thats $66.. then when they go to do it through the hole its worn out, and needs to call the customer back saying " ooops my bad shoes are worn im a f'ing idiot i shuld of checked, needs new one of those aswell "... adding wasted time...

do you think someone who doesnt even know how to adjust a handbrake will know what their doing if their shuving the screwdriver into the rear rotor hole? shoes can be already worn best to inspect before adjusting, thats like a mechanic calling a customer saying " your shoe needs adjusting thats $66.. then when they go to do it through the hole its worn out, and needs to call the customer back saying " ooops my bad shoes are worn im a f'ing idiot i shuld of checked, needs new one of those aswell "... adding wasted time...

Breathe, step back, and breathe again.

Prozak, you sound like me after 65 beers.

I was asking because I did not know. This is why I said "Can anyone shed any light on this?"

I wont name names, but there was a person from this forum who has pulled apart more corollas than you have had hot dinners who didn't know what those lugs were for. I mentioned that they could have been for adjusting the handbrake, and they could not confirm that. So how about you put your cranky pants back in the bottom drawer, read my post again, and you may (or may not depending on your intelligence level) notice that I was actually asking someone who knew what they were for to confirm my suspicions.

By the way, thank you for confirming that they are for adjusting the handbrake . . . that is precisely the info I was looking for.

sorry JC it sounded like sarcasm

All good mate, I'm the first to jump at the throat when I see something I think is sarcasm (or anything else for that matter), I think I can forgive you without chopping your feet off . . . but only this time, lol.

I'm answering this with an assumption here so I am prepared to be incorrect.

NRG71C: I'm guessing your concern here is that the brake pad is touching the rotor right? Is it providing much resistance when you jack up the car and try to turn the wheel/hub/rotor? If it can rotate with only the smallest fraction of resistance, then this is okay. All brakes will always be in light contact with the rotor... this is part of their design.

On that above test, make sure that before you jack your car up to test the rotation, you have not released the hand brake without driving first. If you only just released the hand brake before trying to rotate your wheel, you may get a little bit of extra resistance.

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Took it to a brake place this morning thankfully they were opened.

Turned out the backing plate had come loose and was touching the back of the dics.

$35 fix and a big big smile on my face im loving the sportivo!!

FWIW those rubber covers are for adjusting the handbrake shoes, I adjust the shoes inwards away from the disc when removing the discs. I do this to make sure a worn disc doesn't catch if a lip is worn in the handbrake section of the disc, if this happens you can bend the handbrake mechanism which is a pain to straighten.

It is a pain to adjust them through the hole with a flatblade screwdriver though, procedure is listed in the service manual.