Where to get Slimline Weathershields??

The 'primer' is basically like an extra adhesive. You coat the chrome strip with it where you're sticking the sheild to, then when you stick the adhesive tape thats on the weathershields to the area, it creates a really strong bond that, once fully set, is like cement.

Yeah, but the thing about non-genuine is that half the time they don't have the chrome strip, which makes them look kinda tacky. Same reason why not to buy from ebay.

If fact, I think even the full size front Aurion weathershields don't have the chrome. Only the slimeline genuine ones do.

yeah

the geniue full size weathershields I got back in 2008 do NOT have chrome

its after a while then I realise the bit of damage it did to looks

a bit of wind noise on the freeway too

the only good thing is I can open the window a bit to reduce the heat during parking and not worry about the rain (unstable weather)

I can't actually make up my mind if I should get one of these or not. Do they provide much relief from rain when driving? Or what about when hitting the freeway and opening the window, does it cut back on noise or a lot of air coming into the car?

You decision will make or break if I put these in or not. As I will give them a call tomorrow and book it in to get it done.

I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in noise. A little bit, I suppose, but I daresay its more likely the placebo effect than anything else.

Light drizzle they perform well. Plus when I used to squirt the windows to get bugs and whatever off, airflow would cause the water on the windscreen to blow around into the window at speeds over about 50km/h. They have eliminated that little annoyance too. We haven't really had much heavy rain down here since xmas (when I put mine on) so haven't really had a chance to try them out in those conditions, but I daresay they are probably too narrow to make a difference once the rain gets heavy. (Besides, who puts their window down in the rain anyway?)

Personally I only put them on for the looks - any functional improvements are just a bonus. I daresay you'd get more functional improvement from the fullsize ones, but even then, when you wind is blowing the right way that wont keep out much rain either.

I went to a Toyota Dealership today and tried to pick up a set of the slimline weathershields and "primer" so I can fit them myself and was told by the guy at the counter that they don't sell the primers and have also said that they have only ever sold the slimline weathershields without the primer!! Not sure whether the primer is already included as part of the slimline kit?? I thought I have read somewhere on another thread that the primer is in the form of wipes. Can someone please confirm what the primer looks like? :help:

In the end I did not make the purchase as I was getting conflicting information about the primer from the spare parts guy and not sure whether I have all the bits to mount the weathershield. :g:

Okay well, I called up today about the slimlines, he said that they don't have any in but can get them in 24 hours after putting in an order. He said that they require full payments first then put in an order because they don't want stock on there hands that won't get sold for a long time.

I asked about the primer and he said that everything should come with the package when you receive it. But when he said that he did say it "Should", so really he wasn't 100% sure.

Can someone confirm as asked by the post above for people who have done it themselves, was the primer in the package with the slimlines or did you purchase/get it separately?

was told by the guy at the counter that they don't sell the primers

My dealership sold me the primer, so either the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's telling you fibs.

I thought I have read somewhere on another thread that the primer is in the form of wipes.

It does.

Kinda.

The primer is just a 'stick'. Basically a plastic (I think) tube, wrapped in a label, and with a foam pad on 1 end. When you crush the stick as per the instructions it releases the adhesive into the foam, and you basically wipe/paint it on like, I suppose, a crayon.

I asked about the primer and he said that everything should come with the package when you receive it. But when he said that he did say it "Should", so really he wasn't 100% sure.

Can someone confirm as asked by the post above for people who have done it themselves, was the primer in the package with the slimlines or did you purchase/get it separately?

As far as I know they are separate. Thats the impression I got when I made my enquiries. When I received them, the box with the primer was taped to the bag with the weathersheilds, but I don't know if that was just to keep them all together or if they are intended to be sold as 1 package. In the end my folks bought them for me for xmas, so I haven't seen the invoice.

If the bloke at your dealership said they should come with the primer, then be sure to remember his name so if they show up without it you can argue the toss with them if you so desire. If the price he quoted you was on the basis that it includes the primer, then you should get the primer in that price regardless.

The primer is just a 'stick'. Basically a plastic (I think) tube, wrapped in a label, and with a foam pad on 1 end. When you crush the stick as per the instructions it releases the adhesive into the foam, and you basically wipe/paint it on like, I suppose, a crayon.

Thanks Paradigm for describing the primer - I can now call and ask them whether the slimline weathershield package contains the primer "stick".

I picked up a set of the slimline weathershields today and I am still not sure whether the kit comes with the primer. When I picked up the weathershields, I asked the guy at the counter to check whether there is any primer inside the package and he couldn't find any - since he told me over the phone that the package included the primer, he went into the office and got me some wipes and primer sticks that he said were leftovers from previous installations of weathershields. So the best option is to check the package first before leaving the spare parts department.

I have included photos of the wipes and primer sticks for reference.

post-11199-1263905683_thumb.jpg

post-11199-1263905697_thumb.jpg

Edited by byw

byw, What are the wipes? I didn't get those with mine.

As written on the packet itself:

70% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Basically just to clean the surface from dirt and oils. Just an alternative to metho.

Just an alternative to metho.

Thats all I used. Metho and a chux cloth.

Its amusing Toyota actually supply isopropyl wipes. Probably almost every household in the country has metho in the cupboard!

byw, What are the wipes? I didn't get those with mine.

From reading the installation instructions and the listed package contents, the wipes and primer sticks are not listed. And based on the instructions, it only said to wipe the mounting areas with a clean cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol and no mention of wipes or primer sticks!

I haven't installed them yet and not sure whether to use the primer sticks as they are not mentioned in the instructions.... :unsure: Could have an adverse chemical reaction with the double sided tape on the weathershield.... :g:

Edited by byw

Could have an adverse reaction with the double sided tape on the weathershield.... :g:

It shouldn't adversely react with the double sided tape on the weathershield because it is designed to improve the bond between the tape and the car.

The primer should have come with its own instructions. You prepare your surface as per the weathersheild instructions, then apply the primer as per its instructions, then complete the job as per the weathershields instructions.

Paradigm - thanks and I'll take your advice and use them to improve the bonding. If it doesn't work or causes me any grief I can always take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it as they gave me the primer sticks with the weathershields.... :lol::lol::lol:

Getting mine put in on Friday by the dealer, I'm also having them check out a little bit of oil. Might need re-sealing somewhere. Trying to get as much as I can out of my 1 month warranty left over.

1st of march three things will happen:

My P's expire and I will be getting my full licence :D :D :D

My vehicle rego expires and :angry:

My Aurions warranty finishes. :angry: