Side steps and other accessories

Kluger Jedi

I am waiting to take delivery of a 2010 build KX-S...

We are getting tow bar, nudge bar, headlight and bonnet protectors, and cargo and floor mats, however i'm interested to know if any recommends any of the after market accessories like the SIDE STEPS you can get off ebay??

These are dirt cheap compared with Toyota's genuine Side Steps...

Please see this link...

Has anyone purchased these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/07-09-Toyota-Kluger...=item1c0ccd5836

Besides looks, what is the advantage of the side steps?

Also does anyone know how much a chrome line Grill insert would be and how easy it would be to replace the current one?

Thank you,

Kluger Jedi :)

We have the OEM sidesteps and use them all the time.

We're not giants and we find it makes it easier to step up into the car.

It is also a HUGE help for the kids (4 y.o.twins) as they also use the steps to get both in & out of the car.

I can't comment on the aftermarket steps, but I think there are a couple of people around here who have them.

Enjoy your car when it arrives, it's a fantastic vehicle that I know you will LOVE driving...

Dave

Thanks Dave,

we can't wait to get our Kluger... especially coz we have our first little one on the way....

Thanks for the tip about the side steps....i'll do some more research about the after market ones first... and if no good i'll get genuine Kluger Side Steps...

Also does anyone know how much a chrome line Grill insert would be and how easy it would be to replace the current one?

if your going to be putting a little one in the back seat keep in mind that the side steps do mean that you cannot stand as close to the car to put the little one in. My wife is on the shorter side and the driver 95% of the time so we ended up taking them off so it was easier for her to put the baby in and out without them on. No doubt when the kids are bigger they will be of use in the scenarios Dave mentioned above.

Cheers

Thanks Let's Go.....

You make valid point there regarding side steps....

I just think they make the car look much tougher and sexier :)

However the sidesteps only look like they stick out an inch or too...

we might have to check it out...

Thanks so much again for the feedback and comments....

:huh:

• 4 months later...

Just seen some cheapo roof racks suitable for the Kluger advertised on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Avensis-Kluger-RAV4-Prado-Tarago-Roof-Rack-Bars_W0QQitemZ250637308554QQcategoryZ55435QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BPSSI%252BSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BUCK%26otn%3D10%26po%3D%26ps%3D63

Quoted buy-now price is $90 which sounds bloody good considering the rhino rack equivalent are around $230 but the seller even has a best offer bid available so I'm guessing you may be able to put in a cheeky bid for around $80.

I'm not trying to talk up the seller, honestly... I'm more interested to know if anyone else has bought these and can testify as to their usefulness or uselessness.

A little off topic,but was wondering if anyone has purchased a set of seat covers off e-bay?? :ph34r: been looking around now for a while, need to do something soon.

Plenty of stuff on good o'l e-bay B)

I bought genuine steps for my Kluger, been very good for a little independant 3 year old boy that whats to get in the car himself :P

about the side steps....i'll do some more research about the after market ones first... and if no good i'll get genuine Kluger Side Steps...

I've had both sets on my car. The eBay steps were fine. They attach to the car a little differently but still very securely. They stick out a little more than the genuine steps and sit slightly lower. If anything that made them easier for the little ones. The genuine steps are a slightly larger diameter which makes them look 'tougher'. They look so similar though it's hard to go past the $$ saving.

There are two different types on eBay, one turns in on the ends like the genuine and the others are straight bars. I had the ones that turn in like the genuine.

Hope this helps!

about the side steps....i'll do some more research about the after market ones first... and if no good i'll get genuine Kluger Side Steps...

I've had both sets on my car. The eBay steps were fine. They attach to the car a little differently but still very securely. They stick out a little more than the genuine steps and sit slightly lower. If anything that made them easier for the little ones. The genuine steps are a slightly larger diameter which makes them look 'tougher'. They look so similar though it's hard to go past the $$ saving.

There are two different types on eBay, one turns in on the ends like the genuine and the others are straight bars. I had the ones that turn in like the genuine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that ive been tossing up so much about steps and you just made my mind up cheers :clap:

Ps are they hard to put on? Anyone done a diy on this topic? <_<

Edited by scotts10kluger

Can you still keep OEM (Toyota) front and rear mudflaps on when fitting a side step; either OEM (Toyota) or aftermarket?

More to the point, front mudflaps...

Can you still keep OEM (Toyota) front and rear mudflaps on when fitting a side step; either OEM (Toyota) or aftermarket?

Yes, I have front mudflaps with OEM sidesteps, rears would be unaffected by sidesteps.

Cheers

Edited by holmesie

With the genuine steps yes, the ebay steps probably not. If I remember correctly, the ebay steps protruded slightly, enough to push a mudflap forward.

If your sidesteps are touching your rear mudflaps you're in serious trouble :help: :P

I installed my toyota side steps without any trouble,same ols story once you've done one side the other takes half as long :clap: The instuctions are pretty staight forward. Also help that i used a work hoist.

No problem with front mudflap touching as they curve in behind the flap nicely :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my toyota side steps without any trouble,same ols story once you've done one side the other takes half as long :clap: The instuctions are pretty staight forward. Also help that i used a work hoist.

No problem with front mudflap touching as they curve in behind the flap nicely :yahoo:

Does anyone know if the genuine ones require the plastics under the car to be cut out? As the ebay ones require this. I'm not too sure whether to proceed.

Does anyone know if the genuine ones require the plastics under the car to be cut out? As the ebay ones require this. I'm not too sure whether to proceed.

Yes they do require a bit of trimming but easy to do with a sharp stanley knife...... i don't remember if it was both sides or just one side now B)

Edited by Dowelly2194

Which eBay steps did you buy? I didn't have to cut anything on the ones I had.

I bought the ones that turn in on the ends - they were linked to earlier in this thread. Update - I started on Saturday and I am a bit of a perfectionist (alot actually) so I lined all the metal to metal surfaces on the bracketry with thin rubber. I then spent a fair bit of Sunday laying on my concrete (cold - still feeling the effects) garage floor to mount the brackets. I figured out pretty quick that the instructions refer/photo of driver's side did not look the same - It is for the Highlander/left drive. So that figured out I took the plastics off and marked them out, cut them and filed/deburred the edges. The front brackets are the hardest and once that was done I could see the finish line. The rear brackets dont need to cut any plastics so straightforward but I didnt have a 19mm deep drive socket so couldnt complete. I like the protection that the side bars will provide the sills and doors from rocks etc. On my 2007 Rav I had a rock flick up and dent this area so hoping the steps prevent this.

I bought the ones that turn in on the ends - they were linked to earlier in this thread. Update - I started on Saturday and I am a bit of a perfectionist (alot actually) so I lined all the metal to metal surfaces on the bracketry with thin rubber. I then spent a fair bit of Sunday laying on my concrete (cold - still feeling the effects) garage floor to mount the brackets. I figured out pretty quick that the instructions refer/photo of driver's side did not look the same - It is for the Highlander/left drive. So that figured out I took the plastics off and marked them out, cut them and filed/deburred the edges. The front brackets are the hardest and once that was done I could see the finish line. The rear brackets dont need to cut any plastics so straightforward but I didnt have a 19mm deep drive socket so couldnt complete. I like the protection that the side bars will provide the sills and doors from rocks etc. On my 2007 Rav I had a rock flick up and dent this area so hoping the steps prevent this.

hay mate good job :clap:

just wanted to know what is says on the plastic step tread and aprox how far they stick out cheers scott :D

just wanted to know what is says on the plastic step tread and aprox how far they stick out cheers scott :D

Thanks, I have not unwrapped them from the bubblewrap (unusually in different coloured wraps - one clear and the other green???) yet but will let you know what it says, I am about to go out and get a 19mm or 3/4 deep drive socket to complete the job.

Thanks, I have not unwrapped them from the bubblewrap (unusually in different coloured wraps - one clear and the other green???) yet but will let you know what it says, I am about to go out and get a 19mm or 3/4 deep drive socket to complete the job.

All done and I have to say they look brilliant, well worth the $360. The quality looks very very good for chinese aftermarket. I would recommend them. A little painful to install the front brackets but the rears and the steps go on easy.

They have a grip pattern no words.

All done and I have to say they look brilliant, well worth the $360. The quality looks very very good for chinese aftermarket. I would recommend them. A little painful to install the front brackets but the rears and the steps go on easy.

They have a grip pattern no words.

thanks mate putting my order in tonight any pics would be good to aid install but good job