Sportivo Gearbox

Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that Sportivos are notorious for gearbox syncros wearing out fast (from around 60k)

Is this a common problem? Could it be part of the reason that so many Stivos are up for sale with 60-80k on them?

Wondering what owners experiences are....

Hey,

I got my sportivo at 51K n am now at 63K with no problems whatsoever with anything.

I reckon its a decent gearbox for just getting around town and also when u want to have a bit of fun.

ill get back to u once its done more K's

There's nothing wrong with the gearbox persay ... its just that the stock clutch wasn't built to handle the power ..... they (clutch) tend to cactus around that mark should you drive it hard .... Then it doesn't disengage / engage properly when you shift and thus crunch gears .....

That is where you wear them out quick...

A quick adjustment of the clutch master pushrod should do the trick .... ;)

Some members have resorted to a slightly thinner gear oil :)

Some just change a whole new clutch altogether :lol:

As for me, I just changed it to a brand new gearbox :spiteful:

:toast::toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:P :P :P :P :P

As to why you see sportivos getting sold around that mileage is cause they think they are over it .......

ppppppppppppttttttttttttffffffffffffffff i say ..... :o

Thanks for the input guys.

I used to have a 7th Gen Celica (80,000kms with no gearbox/clutch issues) and I've always liked the look of the Sportivos.

They seem to be quite affordable now as well, wondering if there was a catch ;)

Road and Track tell me most of the boxes they rebuild are in the 80-120km range.

Depends on how much thrashing (1-2 shifts to stay in lift) they have been getting and if Redline Shockproof has been used in them. The problems affect the Celica boxes as well since it is essentially the same box. Only thing to worry about is the clutch adjustment, but even that's an easy fix.

Road and Track tell me most of the boxes they rebuild are in the 80-120km range.

Depends on how much thrashing (1-2 shifts to stay in lift) they have been getting and if Redline Shockproof has been used in them. The problems affect the Celica boxes as well since it is essentially the same box. Only thing to worry about is the clutch adjustment, but even that's an easy fix.

Tell me about it SD ! <_<

I got mine at 81

it had crunching issues, in lift, perfect when driving normally.

I have since adjust my master cyl clutch push rod, and changed the oil to fully syn 75w85 nulon..

Perecto!!!!!

Once or twice it's happened since, but maybe I was being lazy or something

next on my Santa list is a exedy HD clutch..

Personally i feel my clutch would be nicer after some light adjustment but overall im happy with everything as it is. The box in my car feels strong and is nice and smooth what ever you throw at it , although i must say you can drive them hard but thrashing them will prove problems. My car has 52k on the clock currently

My personal experience - (2003 Sportivo)

181,000ks.

Original clutch.

Original gearbox & synchros.

And no problems (touchwood!)

I have driven cars with a nicer clutch gearbox combo, but mine is comparable to other Sportivos I have driven.

I am struggling to think of something other than consumables that I have fitted to the car (aside from wheels/suspension)........I'll chat to my mechanic and check his file on the car to see if there is something I have forgotten.

My personal experience - (2003 Sportivo)

181,000ks.

Original clutch.

Original gearbox & synchros.

And no problems (touchwood!)

I have driven cars with a nicer clutch gearbox combo, but mine is comparable to other Sportivos I have driven.

I am struggling to think of something other than consumables that I have fitted to the car (aside from wheels/suspension)........I'll chat to my mechanic and check his file on the car to see if there is something I have forgotten.

It's good to hear after those km's the cars still behaving itself , how does it generally run and feel? All in all it's a Toyota so those kind of km's are ( just run in ) so to speak but im still curious.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got mine at 74,000 km but lately (now 85,000km) it's been crunching sometimes when i shift to reverse. However I found that if I shift the gear to 1st before shifting to reverse, then i don't get the crunching sound. Is this the solution? :blink:

The crunching going into reverse is common to many gearboxes. It's to do with reverse typically being straight cut, while the other gears are helical cut (hence why reverse makes that whining noise ;)). There are also no synchros on reverse; so if the gears aren't lined up it can crunch or not go in. The solution, as you have found out, is to slightly change the alignment of the ge****t by selecting another gear.

@SD So that means if I practice this often, the gearbox will last abit longer? B)

on another night I raced with another car and I had the gearbox in lift 1st gear and then "tried" to slap it in 2nd. I think i didn't use the clutch and it made the noise it usually makes if u try to change gears when u dont engage the clutch... thing is, did i do damage to the gears? after the noise i depressed the gear again and slowly changed to second gear and it worked <_<

I think i didn't use the clutch and it made the noise it usually makes if u try to change gears when u dont engage the clutch... thing is, did i do damage to the gears? after the noise i depressed the gear again and slowly changed to second gear and it worked <_<

Just don't make a habit of doing it.

@SD So that means if I practice this often, the gearbox will last abit longer? B)

on another night I raced with another car and I had the gearbox in lift 1st gear and then "tried" to slap it in 2nd. I think i didn't use the clutch and it made the noise it usually makes if u try to change gears when u dont engage the clutch... thing is, did i do damage to the gears? after the noise i depressed the gear again and slowly changed to second gear and it worked <_<

if you know how the box works, when you dont engage the clutch to slow down the primary shaft which spins the cluster gears, it will spin faster than the output shaft, so the synchro cant line up with the dog teeth, getting that crunch..

its hard to put it in writing :help:

but def not good

if you know how the box works, when you dont engage the clutch to slow down the primary shaft which spins the cluster gears, it will spin faster than the output shaft, so the synchro cant line up with the dog teeth, getting that crunch..

its hard to put it in writing :help:

but def not good

yeah it happened for the first time, so i think i was tired or something... usually i make sure that the clutch is engaged for at least 1/2 a second before i shift, makes, the shifter smoother and easier. That time i think i must have released the clutch too early before completely shifting the gear.

Driving the sportivo for 1/2 a year now and still dont 100% understand it (maybe 95% :P

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i love hitting lift in reverse!!!

thats actually a good question, has anyone gone over the 6K mark in reverse n does it engage lift??

although that would probably destroy something in the car reverse lift would be cool ... not that i have tried or will try it

Edited by kewl10_mac

Hmmm.. might be time to start a list of "People I wouldn't buy a car off" ;)

not saying ive done it but that little gear wasnt made for high rpm, why go fast in reverse anyway? might hit something lol

When I bought my car from Danthuyer, I am pretty sure he said that if you hold the gear knob in the reverse position it doesn't pop out (as you are preventing it) and it does go into lift.