We got hacked?

Guni

Just because it set its username to contain "bot" doesn't mean it is one.

What I don't understand is why anyone would do this for a lot of different eBay sellers. Where are they making their money?

the club bot is f*cking annoying... spamming my 'view new posts' with ebay stuff that is not even relivent to australia.

anyway it can be turned off on this part of the forum?

Even if it is a person, the point I was trying to make was how it got moderator rights. You would have to hack a moderator account to do so wouldn't you? Or hack the site at like the top leve? I'm not familiar with this stuff.

Mick... was I really that sig worthy :lol:.

Even if it is a person, the point I was trying to make was how it got moderator rights. You would have to hack a moderator account to do so wouldn't you? Or hack the site at like the top leve? I'm not familiar with this stuff.

That I know of, there are 3 ways to get or do moderator tasks with this forums setup.

- Gain access to a current moderator or super moderators login

You can check this by doing a query on all mod logins and finding unique or unusual IP address

Exploit a script weakness in the forum code

Gain access to or exploit a weakness in the database (this includes gaining access to the server)

i lol'd when i read that, so yes.

That I know of, there are 3 ways to get or do moderator tasks with this forums setup.

You seem to know your stuff. Maybe you're the culprit! :ph34r:

:P :lol:

HAHA. it wasnt me!

Naaaaa, I'm just used to being very judgemental of systems and software because of my job.

You seem to know your stuff. Maybe you're the culprit! :ph34r:

:P :lol:

HAHA. it wasnt me!

Naaaaa, I'm just used to being very judgemental of systems and software because of my job.

Get Away BILL GATES!!!! LOL!!! :P

Um... this bot is starting to really annoy me now. If it is meant to be okay, it's programmed wrongly.

I just thought I would read Steve's post again (we were discussing this at the last Brisbane meet):

no its ok. Its a news and ebay feed bot.

No need to worry

I guess when I read that (I was working at the time), I read it in a bit of a hurry and thought in my mind that Steve meant it was okay, as in he has killed the bot, etc. Having a look, it seems to be posting still.

Because Steve possibly couldn't have brought this thing upon us all (surely right :unsure: ), I am thinking one of two things:

1) It hacked his account to post that reply, or

2) Because the bot has mod status, deleting/banning it is a little bit difficult.

I like to think a little deeper... plus this bot is getting in the way.

Um... this bot is starting to really annoy me now. If it is meant to be okay, it's programmed wrongly.

I just thought I would read Steve's post again (we were discussing this at the last Brisbane meet):

No need to worry

I guess when I read that (I was working at the time), I read it in a bit of a hurry and thought in my mind that Steve meant it was okay, as in he has killed the bot, etc. Having a look, it seems to be posting still.

Because Steve possibly couldn't have brought this thing upon us all (surely right :unsure: ), I am thinking one of two things:

2) Because the bot has mod status, deleting/banning it is a little bit difficult.

I'm guessing that it's like the RSS news-feed bot Fry, except that one actually posts useful info :P

The intent is there, but the application is terrible. Personally, I think it should be removed, if only because the chances are pretty high that we'd already be checking out eBay/Carsales etc when we are looking to buy a car, plus almost (haven't checked them all out) all of the ads posted have been for cars in America.

No need to worry

I just did the same thing after reading your post. I thought he meant that he had a plan to remove it.

I agree with Hiro, concept is ok but the way to goes about it is all wrong. And why do we care about American cars?

There are more clever and less intrusive ways of making website revenue that could have been used.

This thing has made 32 posts already which according to it's profile, is 7.34 posts per day. It is really annoying me now because it's like a problem I can't solve.

fireh.gif