Air intake mod

SCOOTA44

Got sick of the plastic modular bits to make my intake. so I made a new one piece intake with a 45 degree bend aluminium intercooler pipe, still want the K&N but this will have to do for now, new chambered mufflers hopefully tuesday.

Hey mate how did you mount the maf sensor on to the intercooler pipe

I drilled the hole with a hole saw, and put some sealant around the edge, placed the maf in place and drilled a couple of holes for the screws to keep it in place. I did the same with the plastic parts I originally had on it, but it looked untidy after a while , the chrome covered plastic was scratched and stained, the aluminium will be easier to keep clean. (I hope).

How did you get the MAF to work properly, i did basically the exact same thing as you, however when i turn the car on it just stalls. Any idea why this could be? could it be because my sensor isnt sealed properly onto the piping i had it just sitting in the hole i cut out.

The method that is shown here (not having a go at your method scootastaxisx6, backyard mechanics FTW) is not really the way to go about it because when it comes to MAF placement, having them in the right spot is fairly critical for them to read the correct flow of air. Basically, just check to see that your MAF isn't sitting at any odd angles and is facing the same way as shown in the above photos. Also, if you have placed it close to any bends, this can be affecting the flow of air that the the MAF can pick up.

Not having it sealed properly can cause it to have difficulty reading as well. I would seal that up while you are at it.

What would be the best stuff to seal it with? just normal silicon/sealer?

Silicone will be a real pain in the rear-end to remove should you either get it wrong after it dries or if you need to remove the MAF (in which you will need to when using an oiled filter).

You would need to be creative in trying to work this one out.

What would be the best stuff to seal it with? just normal silicon/sealer?

I thought of using silicone too, but too messy, had some sealant used for tv antenna connections, has slightly less consistancy than "blutack" easily molded and easily removed if need be. I just rolled into a thin strip and placed it around the hole pushed the MAF into place, ensuring that it is sealed properly. so far to date no worries.