odd noise on 08 sx6 aurion

corolla0305

Hi all, seeming as im bored at work at the moment - feel like posting some more stuff as your all so helpful...

I seem to get a very distict whistle come from the motor when i put my car in reverse .... no matter if the car is hot or cold ....

Anyone else had any similar problems ... any idea as to what it could be??

Firstly, I wouldn't be defining it as a problem just yet. Is it really loud or just one of those ambient noises? I've found that for cars that I've driven with an automatic transmission (older Commodores had the most noticeable), there have usually been some vacuum/hissing kind of sounds when the transmission was in gear, especially reverse. I've never bothered to find out what it is exactly, but I figured it was something to do with the automatic transmission and/or torque converter and I believe this is just to do with normal operation. My Aurion does make some slight hissing like noises when reverse is engaged. Maybe it's something to do with the pump or the fluid moving through the torque converter.

If it is something fairly loud and really abnormal, then I would either try and find the source of the noise yourself, or get it checked out.

Someone with a more mechanical mind may be able to comment on this because I'm not overly mechanically minded.

Thanks for your words of advice, i didnt notice it myself.

Im a 21 yr old guy who has a very annoying father who is a rev head, yet picks on everything i do when driving lol.

It seems to be louder than when he first pointed it out to me, i also have this issue with when i was my car the L) area side of the boot under the mat gets filled up with water, i dont know if this is a leak or if its just where the excess water drains.

I am getting toyota to have a look at this sometime next week so i may point out the noise at the same time also .....

Weird thou to get water collecting in that area near the spare tyre, was very green water at first (washing place uses strong colour foam)

Are you referring to the cavity on the left hand side that is the same area (but on the opposite side) as the jack (ie. not the spare wheel well itself)? If so, one thing to look at is firstly to make sure all grommets and plugs there are in place. Otherwise, it could be your boot seal, but more than likely, you would end up with some damp carpet as a result. If you can't pin it down, the best way would be to strip the interior of the boot and look around for any water marks that can indicate where it has come from.

Are you referring to the cavity on the left hand side that is the same area (but on the opposite side) as the jack (ie. not the spare wheel well itself)? If so, one thing to look at is firstly to make sure all grommets and plugs there are in place. Otherwise, it could be your boot seal, but more than likely, you would end up with some damp carpet as a result. If you can't pin it down, the best way would be to strip the interior of the boot and look around for any water marks that can indicate where it has come from.

I love it how DJK's first advise is to always DYI strip your car down and check!! When I read his replies to peoples questions (in general, not this one specifically) I usually think to myself... "dammit, how the hell do i do that!"