Help needed with Brake Disc issue

Hey all

I drive an 08 Aurion and ever since then I've had to do two Disc-Facing jobs "Maybe three i can't remember" But the thing is...Every 8,000KM's or so vibration returns when i use the brakes at higher speeds then becomes more severe. So far I've done 54,000KM's

So I'm pretty sure the Brake Discs Toyota use are made out of Chocolate because this just doesn't sound right to me. My last service they told me that i have to change both front Discs which will cost me 500AUD...But no way in hell I'm getting the cheap sh!t they give for this Car.

I have no idea how to go about this. But i want Good brake discs that will actually Last a good while. Anybody here got aftermarket Brake Rotors? Some suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks!

Edited by PsychoRez

The rotors on the Aurion have been said by a few to be a little sub-standard with regards as to how fast they tend to warp a bit when compared to other stock rotors.

You have mentioned that you have had your rotors machined twice... maybe three times. Each time you machine your rotors, you are making them thinner, and by doing so, you increase the chance of them warping again. So in a case like this, it isn't purely the quality of the rotor to blame.

Regardless, we do have some suggestions alread when it comes to us here in Australia. This can be found in the FAQ's. You may need to do a bit of research on top of this:

Q) What are my aftermarket brake (rotors/pads) options? How about for the TRD?

A)
If you would like to get some aftermarket rotors for your Aurion,
(Disc Brakes Australia) make some really good quality rotors for the Aurion. These are available locally and would be easier to obtain than other alternatives like Brembo etc. For best performance, the 4000 Series would be ideal, otherwise for just street use with the occasional spirited drive, the 2000 Series would be just fine. For some additional information on these rotors fitted to my Aurion, have a look at my thread below.

As for the pads, there are a few different brands out there you can get. This is all personal preference really. The genuine Toyota brake pads do a decent job, but if you want some more performance, you can look into a pad such as the
HPX series which is what I personally recommend. The
brake pad codes are DB1474 for the front and DB1475 for the rear. QFM brake pads use this same code when referring to their pads. The HPX series will set you back $79 (plus shipping) per axle. This in my opinion is good value as well. Alternatively, Bendix Ultimates are a good pad as well, but are currently discontinued, so stock remaining is just in store shelf stock if you can find it. For just a general aftermarket replacement without the requirement of better braking, the Bendix General CT line of brake pads is a good alternative as well.

For the TRD, David (SupaTouring) has made a handy thread that covers what you need to know about the TRD brake option. Link is below.

Threads of interest:

- Post 64 onwards

Thanks for the Help, bro. But you have to understand that i started feeling the vibration very early, Maybe in the 20's i can't remember but it was early. So i HAD to get them Machined!

DBA site isn't showing any results for Aurion, though >.< If the Price is friendly then i wouldn't mind ordering one from there.

Thanks for the Help, bro. But you have to understand that i started feeling the vibration very early, Maybe in the 20's i can't remember but it was early. So i HAD to get them Machined!

DBA site isn't showing any results for Aurion, though >.< If the Price is friendly then i wouldn't mind ordering one from there.

DBA definitely offers rotors for the Aurion, check again.

PM macca884 for a price on the rotors. From him I got:

2xDBA 4000 Slotted, Front, GSV40R discs

2xDBA Street Slotted, Rear, MCV36R discs

Shipped with Insurance

For $630. Prices may have changed a little, but much cheaper than what I could have got locally. He runs his sale through Ebay so you can have piece of mind.

- Andrew

Damn that's a bit expensive. But I'm sure it's worth it.

I contacted the Site for price, but ill contact mister macca884 for quick reply "hopefully"

Thanks for the help, man. Appreciate it!

Lol i noticed Australian sites never show the Prices. I dunno why...

Damn that's a bit expensive. But I'm sure it's worth it.

I contacted the Site for price, but ill contact mister macca884 for quick reply "hopefully"

Thanks for the help, man. Appreciate it!

Lol i noticed Australian sites never show the Prices. I dunno why...

Look up RDA - they're pretty good and cost effective.

Never get brakes from Toyota - what a rip! - The price they quoted me for Machining, I went on and got the RDA slotted rotors.

Read here

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=24648

After doing 320k in my previous camry and never had the rotors off it, my aurion's rotors need machining,as I have noticed vibration braking at 80 kmh downhill, they have done 119k ,so compared to a ford they still good.

I drive pretty aggressively so that might be it. But i never really brake that heard. I just ease it in..So I'm very disappointed.

Ultimately these car manufacturers want to make money and it would be in their best interest to Not make the consumable parts that longer lasting. Business is Business.

Any of you guys would happen to know the exact measurements of the brake discs on the Aurion? Diameters and stuff? Because the dealer here only told me the maximum and minimum thickness level.

Any of you guys would happen to know the exact measurements of the brake discs on the Aurion? Diameters and stuff? Because the dealer here only told me the maximum and minimum thickness level.

Have a look at these reference pages from DBA to get the measurements.

Front: http://www.dba.com.au/products/dba2709

Rear: http://www.dba.com.au/products/dba2707

Shaking ey? Thank god something my Aurion does not have in similar, was on the freeway few days ago and did not realise the traffic in front, from 100 I had to slow down fast to at least 30KM/h, it was flawless. I just get the odd high pitched squeak when braking lightly.

Shaking ey? Thank god something my Aurion does not have in similar, was on the freeway few days ago and did not realise the traffic in front, from 100 I had to slow down fast to at least 30KM/h, it was flawless. I just get the odd high pitched squeak when braking lightly.

Then you haven't been driving your Aurion hard enough :P :P :P

After doing 320k in my previous camry and never had the rotors off it, my aurion's rotors need machining,as I have noticed vibration braking at 80 kmh downhill, they have done 119k ,so compared to a ford they still good.
ah well means i will be changing my disc brakes soon too given i get steering shakes when i slow down on highway speeds...

Vibration/Steering Shake while braking...I had that problem as well. It is most probably a problem with the wheels. When i had the same problem which was right after the tyres got replaced. They said that the wheels needed something called fingers or cones or something... And yeah the problem was fixed.

Then you haven't been driving your Aurion hard enough :P :P :P

She is still my baby! At the moment I've progressed to hard acceleration. Not good for fuel consumption but bloody fun. :lol:

Hey all

Hi some time ago I finished up with this problem. It wasn't long after having the brakes done with ceramic pads fitted, so I rang my mechanic And he came over replaced the pads and had the rotors reground at no cost. He said that initially he had no problems with the ceramic pads but the problem was cropping up repeatably recently, and said no problem with cost he was compensated by the manufactures. I've been using the same mechanic for 20 years, wonder why! So apparently bad pads can play a part in warping discs.

Have a look at these reference pages from DBA to get the measurements.

Front: http://www.dba.com.au/products/dba2709

Rear: http://www.dba.com.au/products/dba2707

Thank you, man! Can't believe those discs cost the same price Toyota charges for them garbage they call Brake Discs.

She is still my baby! At the moment I've progressed to hard acceleration. Not good for fuel consumption but bloody fun. :lol:

DJ is right! You just wait, bro. Keep driving hard for a bit and you'll see :D

You'll first feel a shake at high speeds only, 140Kmph - 150Kmph. Then a bit more time and you'll start feeling it when you brake at 100Kmph! It's annoying as heck and it kills the joy you get from the speed. I don't even drive that fast anymore because of how shaky it gets...

I can't wait till i change them!

Question: I get these Brake Discs, would it be wise to use regular Toyota Pads on them?