Cruising in gears

hey guys, this question has probably been talked about before but i dont think it has for the corolla sportivo in particular...

in normal driving i shift at around 3.5k when cold and 4k when warm.

in thr manual, the recommended shifting speeds are as follows:

1st to 2nd - 30kph

2nd to 3rd - 40kph

3rd to 4th - 65 kph

4th to 5th - 72kph

5th to 6th - 80kph

knowing this, is it ok for the gear box and/or engine to be cruising on 6th at lets say... 50kph or 60kph?

Fuel efficient yes, but in the long term, going too high a gear at low speed would damage the gear box...

atm, i cruise in 4th from 50kph on a straight road and 3rd on an incline...

anything below 40kph i do 2nd and 1st bloew 20kph...

also i don't really use 6th until i hit around at least 80 to 90kph

whats your opinion guys?

cheers :)

hey guys, this question has probably been talked about before but i dont think it has for the corolla sportivo in particular...

in normal driving i shift at around 3.5k when cold and 4k when warm.

in thr manual, the recommended shifting speeds are as follows:

1st to 2nd - 30kph

2nd to 3rd - 40kph

3rd to 4th - 65 kph

4th to 5th - 72kph

5th to 6th - 80kph

knowing this, is it ok for the gear box and/or engine to be cruising on 6th at lets say... 50kph or 60kph?

Fuel efficient yes, but in the long term, going too high a gear at low speed would damage the gear box...

atm, i cruise in 4th from 50kph on a straight road and 3rd on an incline...

anything below 40kph i do 2nd and 1st bloew 20kph...

You won't damage the gearbox, the recommended shift points are more for keeping the engine in it's most efficient zone. You can run the car down to 40-50km/h in 6th and just burble along but if you put any sort of load on it then downshifting would be essential so the engine doesn't lug.

Crusing at 60km/h or less you get better economy being in 5th instead of 6th.

hey SD is that becuz ur pressing more on the pedal to travel at the cruising speed on 6th compared to 5th?

Just listen and feel you car, if it feels like you are go to slow for the gear you are in and you cant feel any pull downgear. its pretty simple dude.

but speaking of gear changes i took of in 3rd this morning hahahaha and that was at about 3.5revs hahaha

Crusing at 60km/h or less you get better economy being in 5th instead of 6th.

hey SD is that becuz ur pressing more on the pedal to travel at the cruising speed on 6th compared to 5th?

Basically. It's to do with engine load, as Hiro pointed out. The more load you put on the engine the more fuel will be used. In your example of cruising at 60km/h in 6th when you try to accelerate you require more throttle than you would if you were in 5th.

I don't wanna sound too negative but you've made quite a few topics that are either have already been covered or are a bit silly. There is a topic for that (the stupid thread thread)

I don't wanna sound too negative but you've made quite a few topics that are either have already been covered or are a bit silly. There is a topic for that (the stupid thread thread)

yeah ur right. Also ur probably not the only person that thinks I post silly topics online. But I ask these silly questions becuz I really don't know or need information on some things. Just like everyone on these forums, they want the best for thier car. And this is wat it's about right? Helping each other?

Also I am one of few that probably spend thier time Reading thru the topics seeing if the topic is covered or not. (Yes all 2xx pages.)

I am sorry if I ask questions that r covered already but either I found the replies too vague or inadequate for me to understand. Yes I am a noob and I don't deny it

I don't blame u and1... Just let me get out of the "noob phase "(and hopefully it will be soon)

Everyone to thier own I guess... :)

cuz i've heard people say that travelling too high a gear in low speed will damage the gearbox, i wanted to ask for people's opinions here

maybe each car is made differently to another?

also my previous car had only 4 gears, so i drove it much differently than this one. just trying to learn whats best to make the mechanicals last longer