CAUTION Vip2 Style Grill Owners

Matt.

Just thought I'd pass this on as a word of caution so others do not repeat my mistake. I'm happy to admit that it is largely my laziness that caused this to happen, but nonetheless, it seemed worth a mention.

THE STORY:

I have both a VIP1 and VIP2 style grill and have been experimenting with both for awhile now. I recently made up a section of double layered mesh to fit these grills, but couldn't decide which of the two I liked best. As a temporary measure, i fixed my mesh to the VIP2 by zip tying it to the grill using only a few of the attaching points, as i figured i would probably be taking the mesh off and putting it back on my VIP1 grill in a day or two.

This weekend I was driving over the Gateway bridge checking out the Ferrari driving next to me, when all of a sudden i noticed one of the 'arms' of the VIP2 grill had broken off the grill and was flapping in the wind, smacking into and scratching across the bonnet of my car!!!!!! The head wind was enough to cause a piece to actually snap off the grill.

Again, I admit that this may not have happened if i had bothered to zip tie the mesh and grill together using ALL the attachment points, but at the time I was almost in tears thinking of the scratches it would be putting in the bonnet of my car!

Check out the photos to show what I'm talking about:

p3140065j.jpg

p3140064.jpg

p3140066.jpg

Fortunately, the plastic bit didn't actually make enough contact with the bonnet to scratch it - but at the time, I was expecting the worst and pretty ****** off. I thought I would mention it here so nobody repeated my mistake! Once you see the mesh that this grill comes with, you will be wanting to remesh it straight away.

Unfortunate to hear mate, but for a grill that is worth about $50, unfortunately you can't expect a high quality construction considering where it came from.

I guess though that we all get a heads up about just how fragile these grills can be.

Unlucky, do you happen to have a pic of the VIP2 fitted to your car other then the half shots you posted above?

Unlucky, do you happen to have a pic of the VIP2 fitted to your car other then the half shots you posted above?

Matt's Aurion (sorry... no creative alias)

Ok... i started remeshing my grill today and got distracted with my spare VIP2 grill. So i put two layers of a finer mesh on it and am now considering keeping it on. What do you all think?

p2280042.jpg

p2280047b.jpg

05032010149small.jpg

05032010148small.jpg

Sorry about the dodgy photos... took them on my phone.

Matt's Aurion (sorry... no creative alias)

I have updated the dodgy photos of the VIP2 grill on that thread. The originals were taken with my mobile phone... the new ones are a bit better. Hope it helps you make up your mind.

Aw that Grill looks sick tho!

Man..is this a common problem with these grills or is it a rare case? Because i want to order one from that site right now! Should i just get the regular mesh grill and avoid this one?!

And a question. How are their body kits? That thai site you guys been using. Good quality? Will they send the body kits painted or?

Sorry to hear that.. Didn't expect the plastic thingy to break that easy... You should just do the sports mesh grill.. it looks a lot better on your car anw.

Aw that Grill looks sick tho!

Man..is this a common problem with these grills or is it a rare case? Because i want to order one from that site right now! Should i just get the regular mesh grill and avoid this one?!

And a question. How are their body kits? That thai site you guys been using. Good quality? Will they send the body kits painted or?

One such as me would assume this would be 'soon a common case'. I guess the Thai side didn't calculate the regular strong wind in Australia. Not a fan of the VIP2 grill too.

Body kits is actually alright. Dpending on which and what colour your car is, I wouldn't really recommend it. I bought one of the kit from them. When it got here, evrything looks perfect, just need a paint and install. BUT... after the paint finished, I asked the panel beater what's the thing that looks like a small uneven surface that's visible from a certain angle, and he replied 'Oh, that's from the inside plastic. Can't do anything about it.' I'll take a picture tomorrow for you guys to decide for yourselves.

And also, you should do the paint in your city due to shipping risks. Some part of paints might get damaged on the way to aussie.

I'm not saying the shops' items are of poor quality. But I do know that you guys have the right to know how the items are before dciding on spending your money.

Edited by VF-X

Will they send the body kits painted or?

And also, you should do the paint in your city due to shipping risks. Some part of paints might get damaged on the way to aussie.

Another reason why you shouldn't get it painted before you receive it is due to colour variance. Not every car is the exact same shade. By getting it painted locally, you can ensure that the colour is matched as close to your car as possible so the kit will fit in place without looking out of place.

As for the strength of the Thai grills... nah, they can even handle some good flex :lol: :(

image670.th.jpg

On that topic of things, that front bumper sure can take a flexing.

As for the strength of the Thai grills... nah, they can even handle some good flex :lol: :(

image670.th.jpg

WHOA! I did not expect the grill to stand up to that! I'm not trying to make this thread about talking down the quality of a $50-$60 plastic grill... but my time working with these grills has made be assume that if you even hit a small bird they would break. I'm impressed!

Edited by mattmcd1

• 2 weeks later...
Will they send the body kits painted or?

Another reason why you shouldn't get it painted before you receive it is due to colour variance. Not every car is the exact same shade. By getting it painted locally, you can ensure that the colour is matched as close to your car as possible so the kit will fit in place without looking out of place.

image670.th.jpg

man how sad.. considering all the time you've spent on the car..... so what u gona drive now?

man how sad.. considering all the time you've spent on the car..... so what u gona drive now?

Yeah.. it was quite a sad point in the life of that car. But hey, I guess it was meant to happen as part of the story of my life... I guess it's time to move on. It all seemed to fall into place in the end:

DJKOR's Aurion - Rev. 2