Servicing 60,000 corolla sportivo

Hi just to start off sorry if this has already been discussed endlessly , i have used the search button and then checked the previously covered topics.

Some threads have already answered some of my questions I just have a couple more left that I feel have not been answered.

Ok so my sportivo is going in for its 60 k service. I have decided to buy my own oils those being

Engine: royal purple

Gearbox: Castrol Syntrax 75W 90

(if other people have better recommendations for same price please speak up :P)

My Questions are

Question 1:

I am unsure of what engine oil rating I should get for a person living north of Brisbane. I noticed a lot of people saying to get 10w 40, I thought Toyota recommended 10w 30. Would i notice a lack of performance if i get the 10w 40 due to the increased thickness or any other downsides?

Question 2:

I am wondering where I should get the car serviced. Now before you all yell at me and say why don’t you service it yourself I am only doing this so I have some kind of service history for when I sell my car ( sad thought :( )

I am questioning if I should get it done at Toyota as a couple of my friends have had their car serviced at Toyota and have had stuff broken. Their cars are highly modified though so maybe that had something to do with it as the Toyota staff might have been confused with the engine setup.

Also the car has a homemade CAI so I am worried they might be pricks about it as it is not standard.

Question 3:

What do people think of a fuel injector service, supposedly some say it should be done every 60,000km I was just wondering if people believe it is worth it. I have noticed some strange behaviour that sometimes occurs when the air con is on. It feels like the car is idling to low and on one occasion the car could not find its idling point while i was sitting at traffic (e.g went from 200rpm to about 1500 3 or 4 times then rested at 800).

If people have any other recommendations for a 60 k service please let me know.

I very much aprechiate the help. Thank you

Engine Oil

I currently have RP 10w40 in the car now, which seems to be working all good. Oil level is the same even after some spirited driving and has'nt burned off. But I am changing to Amsoil RD30 on next service, to try it out. You can do a search of my post of a private supplier that I and some TOCAU members buy their oils/sparks from in Melbourne and can post the items to you too.

MT Gearbox Oil

I also have the Castrol Syntrax oil with Nulon G70 additive - shifting is sweet when the oil is warmed up, but upon start up especially on cold days, I personally find that shifting to 1st and 2nd gear is a bit notchy (like slicing through cold butter with a spoon). So after doing some reserach on this forum, I have found that some reputable members use Redline MT-90, as it works well in all temp ranges. Thus, I will be giving this ago.

Brisbane climate is generally more humid and warmer than other states down south. 10w40 would be great choice. Toyota only recommends 10w30 as it is the most universal grade of oil that they use to service the different toyota models at their service centres.

Think your car just needs a tune. But you do know that most cars idle like that when the aircon is on, as the aircon uses a certain percentage of power too from the engine bay and also increases petrol consumption.

As for the 60,000km scheduled fuel injector service, I would suggest that you opt for it. "You gotta spend money to make money"... for your case, by spending money for it to be done, you may possibly save yourself from expensive repair costs if things go wrong in future by not getting it done at all.

Read the manual, in regards to what is needed to be done on every scheduled service.

Goodluck! hope this bit of info helps ;)

Thanks for the info dyslexik and white stivo.

Yea i heard alot of good things about asimol how much is a 5L bottle of that stuff ? . O and i forgot to ask what are some people's thoughts about nulon suposidly it provides a decent amount more power then RP and other brands such as castrol and motul heres my source :P

i dont know how genuine it is though

As for the aircon thanks, i understand that it sucks power just didnt expect that inconsistant idle. o well ill get my dads mechanic to have a look at it and take it from there.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for the info dyslexik and white stivo.

Yea i heard alot of good things about asimol how much is a 5L bottle of that stuff ?

Thanks

Dave

I bought my Amsoil RD30 for $21 per quart (0.946L). Go to the link below.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26015&st=0&p=376256&fromsearch=1entry376256

I bought my Amsoil RD30 for $21 per quart (0.946L). Go to the link below.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26015&st=0&p=376256&fromsearch=1entry376256

i would buy asimol but as i live in qld it just makes it to much effort as i have to get it posted and i wonder if its realy worth it..... postage would probably cost a decent amount to

Penrite HPR5 for the Motor

Ryco Oil filter

Nulon Smooth Shift 75-90 for the Box with a Nulon G70 Treatment

How you finding smooth shift 75-90 ? smooth shifts on start up? (e.g when engine is cold)

Edited by 2zz corolla

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Just purchased all my oils

I decided to buy royal purple 5w 30 instead of 10w 40 as I thought its winter and won’t need the thicker oil.

Just before I put it in i decided to look in the manual and it says you shouldn’t use it when temperature is over 10c

What are peoples thoughts on this. should i go back to autobahn and replace it with a 10w 40 ?

p.s they can’t get 10w 30 in and i live in Queensland slightly north of Brisbane.

Thanks dave

Update:

Just purchased all my oils

I decided to buy royal purple 5w 30 instead of 10w 40 as I thought its winter and won’t need the thicker oil.

Just before I put it in i decided to look in the manual and it says you shouldn’t use it when temperature is over 10c

What are peoples thoughts on this. should i go back to autobahn and replace it with a 10w 40 ?

p.s they can’t get 10w 30 in and i live in Queensland slightly north of Brisbane.

Thanks dave

10w40 is fine for Brisbane, doesn't get that cold. The 5w30 will be fine anyway, don't worry too much about it, just change back to the 10w40 at the next change. Plenty of people in Brisbane would use the 5w30 or thinner, with no short term problems at least :P

10w40 is fine for Brisbane, doesn't get that cold. The 5w30 will be fine anyway, don't worry too much about it, just change back to the 10w40 at the next change. Plenty of people in Brisbane would use the 5w30 or thinner, with no short term problems at least :P

Ok then cheers mate.

Got to admit i did find it werid how the 1zz can use 5w30 over 30c but 2zz can only go to 10c. Was thinking it might be some kind of a typo or some thing in the manual :P but o well thanks alot

Dave

we use penrite HPR5 in all the 2ZZ's we service and never had hassles.

you cant really tune these cars as there is nothing to adjust. if they are not running 100%, something is amiss. it might be simple like cleaning the MAF, but don't get conned into an old style "tune up" from "tune-up" companies

Fuel injector service is more important then some folk think. the pintle gets covered in resin and gum out of the fuel, so it does not spray properly. 1-shot fuel additives rarely clean them thoroughly so they have to come out to be cleaned. some need doing after about 40,000km, whilst other seem to go to about 100,000km.

we use penrite HPR5 in all the 2ZZ's we service and never had hassles.

you cant really tune these cars as there is nothing to adjust. if they are not running 100%, something is amiss. it might be simple like cleaning the MAF, but don't get conned into an old style "tune up" from "tune-up" companies

Fuel injector service is more important then some folk think. the pintle gets covered in resin and gum out of the fuel, so it does not spray properly. 1-shot fuel additives rarely clean them thoroughly so they have to come out to be cleaned. some need doing after about 40,000km, whilst other seem to go to about 100,000km.

O true thanks for the info. Penrite HPR5 is that a 5w 40 from memory. Yea i agree with the tune up, can u even adjust anything on the standard computer or is it 100% self learning.

I thought fuel injector servicing was mainly used back in the old days of lead fuel. Thought today’s fuels like BP ultimate would be allot cleaner (supposedly its meant to "clean" your engine) well according to the video below :P ...might not be as good as it seems though as i guess the video was created by BP :P.

Heres the vid I was talking about if anyone is interested (scroll to bottom of page for video)

( http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9015027&contentId=7028155 )

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Had the oils in my car for about 2 weeks now and I am impressed with royal purple. Noticed the car was quieter then the original oil even though it’s a thin 5w 30 oil. Also the engine revs more freely now compared to the old Toyota oil.

Castrol syntrax 75w90 with nulon g70 has definitely improved gear changes. They feel smoother and it’s not crunching gears any more. The reason for the crunching was probably due to the original factory oil still being in my car ;).

As for who I got the car serviced with, I got a friend who is in the industry to service my car in the end. Very happy with the result he’s one hell of a perfectionist :). I did notice that the handbrake adjustment is in one very annoying and tight spot though: angry:

Overall all went well and may get a fuel injector service done later in the piece

Thanks very much for all your help

Dave