Keys and watersports?

Flo

Only ever having owned cars that had "normal" keys and not having to worry about getting keys wet when I went for a dive or a surf I'm just wondering what others do in these situations? Do I need to get a blank key cut or are the master keys sufficiently waterproof to not have to worry?

Cheers.

Flo

AS long as you are just taking the standard chipped key into the water, you will be fine. If there is any sort of remote attached to it... then they can survive, but I wouldn't be counting on it as it's just intended to be water resistant.

My remote control and keys inadvertantly went for a 30 minute swim in the surf last month.

Remote still opened the car. When I got home, I opened up the remote and was pleased to find that the water-resistance rubber membrane had kept water off the electronics. Nonetheless, I carefully cleaned and dried (using a hairdrier) the insides. Been working fine ever since.

Remote is water-resistant, but not water-proof.

Only ever having owned cars that had "normal" keys and not having to worry about getting keys wet when I went for a dive or a surf I'm just wondering what others do in these situations? Do I need to get a blank key cut or are the master keys sufficiently waterproof to not have to worry?

Cheers.

Flo

I wouldn't take anything down with me when diving unless it's rated 100m water resistant minimum. Had a watch rated to 50m which imploded at 20m (the extra pressure caused by the resistance of moving my arm through the water was enough to push it over the limit of the seals).

Marine environments are pretty corrosive as well, so unless you're going to rinse it thoroughly, it's probably not worth it. I've seen small water proof key/phone holders sold in dive shops so you can take them with you into the surf.

Cheers.

Flo

I wouldn't take anything down with me when diving unless it's rated 100m water resistant minimum. Had a watch rated to 50m which imploded at 20m (the extra pressure caused by the resistance of moving my arm through the water was enough to push it over the limit of the seals).

Marine environments are pretty corrosive as well, so unless you're going to rinse it thoroughly, it's probably not worth it. I've seen small water proof key/phone holders sold in dive shops so you can take them with you into the surf.

Well I'm mainly thinking about diving so water resistance at depth is the biggest consideration..

I was speaking to another guy in my diving club who drives a Kluger and his solution was to get a blank cut which would unlock the doors and have the master key hidden in the back. Although I'm not sure I like the idea of leaving a key "hidden" inside the car..

I was speaking to another guy in my diving club who drives a Kluger and his solution was to get a blank cut which would unlock the doors and have the master key hidden in the back. Although I'm not sure I like the idea of leaving a key "hidden" inside the car..

I've done that before (albeit with separate remote and dumb-key), the key goes in a clip-lock bag in a tight pocket (or one with a zip), and the remote gets hidden or locked in the dash - you use the key to unlock the doors, then use the remote to disable the immobiliser.

[Well I'm mainly thinking about diving so water resistance at depth is the biggest consideration..

You could use the Valet key. That will do everything except open the glove box. IMHO I'd be concerned about introducing salt into the door lock and ignition mechanism from the key you've taken diving with you. I suggest you drop by the local dive shop and see what they recommend.