Prodigy...2 years old. Expected drive away price?

I'm looking at a Prodigy, still with one year warranty. It's at a dealer and comes with a warranty extension.

It has less than 40K on it and comes with a service history.

Here is the Red book summary:

* Private Price Guide $25,500 - $28,200

* Trade In Price Guide $21,100 - $23,800

* Average Km 30,000 - 50,000

I'm wondering what a dealer might sell one for this time of year and whether Toyota's international recall problems might have an effect on their bottom line?

Help me with a list of things that might reduce the cost please? What tactics might save me a few $?

Well not sure if this helps but I got my 07 prodigy late last year with 59K on the clock for exactly $24,000. In that time I think I got the cheapest one ever in Australia that was from a dealer.

I looked at private sales where they were around the same KM's and they were asking the same price. So if it was private I would have to pay the $24,000 for example and pay transfer fees etc which then private sale turned out to be much more expensive.

But could I ask why you want to swap from ATX to Prodigy? IMO it's not worth it. If you want things like parking sensors or foggies etc why not get aftermarket and save the hassle.

Edited by unique

Yep. :rolleyes:

The car suits our needs and is up to date with safety specs, airbags, vsc etc...growing family needs to fit.

A small second car just doesn't hack it. I've looked at the Camry, and it might, but for a few $ more, the Aurion offers quite a bit.

Relatively cheap to run, reliable and the $120 advantage plan is nice too. And no issues about which car to take!

I've looked at Maxima's and did find one, but my SO hated the cream leather seats.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by boxerboy

Yep. :rolleyes:

The car suits our needs and is up to date with safety specs, airbags, vsc etc...growing family needs to fit.

A small second car just doesn't hack it. I've looked at the Camry, and it might, but for a few $ more, the Aurion offers quite a bit.

Relatively cheap to run, reliable and the $120 advantage plan is nice too. And no issues about which car to take!

I've looked at Maxima's and did find one, but my SO hated the cream leather seats.

Any other suggestions?

What is your budget though? You haven't really told us.

I got my 07 Prodigy in January from Pickles Auctions in Brisbane(although it was a fixed price car) for $19,500, she had 60k on the clock and was in verg good condition - that included tint and a Bluetooth car kit.

Budget? As little as possible, but low $20's.

Hmmm, don't think you could find a 2 year old Prodigy in the low 20's, in the mid 20's yeah but not low 20's.

You can grab a Holden or Ford :lol:, or another ATX :P

What about an ex hire Prodigy? What might be the issues, other than multiple users and unknown behaviours? The car I'm looking at is in good condition right now.

What about an ex hire Prodigy? What might be the issues, other than multiple users and unknown behaviours? The car I'm looking at is in good condition right now.

Hmm, if its ex hire, I would get the suspension, engine etc checked out(Some people probably went 4WD'ing with these sedans, lol). Not only do these rental cars have multiple owners where the car had literally hundreds of different owners in its life time. You have no clue how people treated them.

I know a guy who would regularly rent cars for business purposes and treat them like **** to the point where I felt sorry for the engine from constant thrashing etc.

But then again, that is my opinion. The car you are looking at could have been treated like **** but with TLC could go on for years and years without any problems or the car you are looking at could have been treated well by all owners.

Drive it, listen to it, check all fluids, bolts, underneath, under the boot carpet, seat belts, how the brakes feel etc and get a vehicle check online(paid or free). (If you are from Vic you can do it from the Vicroads site).

Just saying all this mate because my cousin recently got a car and it was all clean as all but few months later problems started arising so learnt a big lesson in car buying. Research, research research!

Buying a car is a serious thing as so many things can be altered patched up without the buyer ever knowing for months.

I don't have a problem with ex-rentals provided they look okay and have been regularly serviced. My car is an ex-rental from Hertz and I can't complain about one thing at all. In fact, it was in better condition than a lot of other when I was looking to buy. There have been a few others on this board who have had ex-rental with no troubles. DJKOR's Sportivo was a rental as well and it was the fastest Aurion here from what I've heard.

Well I tested it extensively...just driving...and it goes very well, stops very well, looks fine and has the 15K and 30K service stamps done...no details though other than date. The car is from interstate though? Why is that I wonder?

Today I found a car yard just 3ks from me with 10 ATX and Sportivo's for less than $24K. I'll look closer tomorrow.

Edited by boxerboy

Here is the Red book summary for '08 Prodigy:

I got it for b/w the high trade in and the low private price @24.5K. Mats added :rolleyes: 36K ks, with books. That's $15.5K off the new price. :o and really, it's not far past a decent run in!

12months left on warranty plus a limited $1000 per claim warranty for 15mths after that. That didn't cost anything more.

Here is the Red book summary for '08 Prodigy:

I got it for b/w the high trade in and the low private price @24.5K. Mats added :rolleyes: 36K ks, with books. That's $15.5K off the new price. :o and really, it's not far past a decent run in!

12months left on warranty plus a limited $1000 per claim warranty for 15mths after that. That didn't cost anything more.

Off topic, but you aren't the same boxerboy that used to be on IRC in #Brisbane or #Australia on DALnet, I assume ?

Off topic, but you aren't the same boxerboy that used to be on IRC in #Brisbane or #Australia on DALnet, I assume ?

Nope. What's DALnet?

Nope. What's DALnet?

IRC is online chat, back from near the dawn of the Internet. DALnet is a particular network for it.