Installing airhorn

Hi guys, I am planning to install an air horn this weekend and was hoping to get some advice regarding whether I am correct in what I plan to do.

I will be connecting the airhorn to a seperate 'push' button as I still want to keep my OEM horn untouched.

Here is the plan, using a relay:

- Tap into my amplifier power cable, and run a wire into a push buttom switch. Then run a wire from the switch to pin 86 on the relay

- Ground pin 85 on the relay

- Run a power cable from battery through a fuse to pin 30 on relay

- Run pin 87 of the relay to the '+' of the air horn compressor

- Ground the '-' of the air horn compressor

Does this sound right? The instructions that came with the horn were not very detailed, and involved tapping into the wires of the OEM horn which I do not want to do.

I wouldnt tap into the amp cable no need too, that would mean running all you wires into the vehicle where as u only need to pull a small voltage to actuate to relay, so ie running a wire from a constant 12V circuit, then running it through a switch and into the engine bay, that way only 1 wire needs to run into the cabin of the vehicle. the other 3 can be sourced/run through the engine bay.

I wouldnt tap into the amp cable no need too, that would mean running all you wires into the vehicle where as u only need to pull a small voltage to actuate to relay, so ie running a wire from a constant 12V circuit, then running it through a switch and into the engine bay, that way only 1 wire needs to run into the cabin of the vehicle. the other 3 can be sourced/run through the engine bay.

The way I read it was that he will probably tap into the amp trigger cable for the relay coil, and the amp main power cable for the switched side of the relay.

Unless of course he taps into the amp main power cable from the amp end if it is under the seat for example. For some people, it's easier for them to get constant +12v like this instead of poking around for it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was planning to install the relay just next to the actual air compressor in the engine bay.

What I wanted to do was tap into the main power cable that powers up the amp, and run a wire from that into a push button near my steering wheel. Then I would just need to run one wire from the push button into the engine bay to the relay.

Does that make sense? It sort of does in my head?

Edit: instead of tapping into the main power cable, would it work better if I just tap into the trigger/remote cable?

Edited by imposter