Cheap Car Bra?

Going to be driving my Camry down to Sydney for the Annual meet and I'm not particularly keen on paying for a car bra.

I was wondering, would using something like a couple of layers of contact be good enough to protect the car on the way down?

I believe a single layer of contact is all it takes. SB did this when he drove down to Sydney and it worked wonders. I'm not sure how many layers he used, but I'm pretty sure one would do the trick.

I'm going to use fly screen. Contact will be good for the body of the car, but I'm more concerned about the grill openings. I don't expect it to get this serious (this was a freak occurrence) but after pulling the bumper off to clean out a plague of bugs, I don't like the idea of getting any more in there. I have been scarred:

snc00217.th.jpg snc00216r.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yeah been thinking about this too...how to protect my fresh grille and bonnet paint on the trip to sydney next month.

Blue painters tape,this stuff dosn't seem to pull any surface paint/shine off,anyone used this?

Clear contact...not sure,this stuff sticks hard.

Flyscreen mesh...this one worries me a little,if it rubs it may scratch/mark whatever it's rubbing on.

any other ideas would be great,i don't care what it looks like on the trip up & back,i just want to try and keep it new looking and unscathed...as all of you could appreciate. :D

For starters, I'll be removing the RS style grille and putting on the old one. Saves any bird/insect issues to be dealt with by the old grille :blink:

Ebay US had this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNETIC-CAR-BRA-2002-2003-2004-TOYOTA-CAMRY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f27500b9QQitemZ300420497593QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1078wt_977

which is interesting because I found this quite cheap, you just have to do abit more work though I can't comment on the magnetic strength: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/20-x-A4-Adhesive-Magnet-Sheets-SPECIAL-/110534830340?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19bc63a904#ht_757wt_977

I'll have the car waxed at least 2 more times before I go down, and then another one on the Friday when I arrive so I don't think my wax coverage will suffer if I lose some due to some aggressive adhesive.

• 2 weeks later...

going to do a test tomorrow on the boot of the car with regards to the contact.

Will leave it in the sun for 8-10 hours and see what kind of results I get when I go to take it off. Will report back tomorrow evening.

as was previously stated ..... SB contacted his entire front end on the trip to sydney last time ..... although we all made fun of him it was a pretty successful idea.