What speeds in which gears?

Hey guys, just interested in what gears you guys choose at what speed? sorry if its been covered. Talked to kenshinx about it before too. Is it okay to go 60km/h in 6th? i always thought that would hurt your gearbox and engine? Because the revs are down lower and engine sounds like its struggling? Correct me if im wrong

For all the vehicles that i've driven over the years. For the most part its: (speed is just rough estimate)

1st gear: 0km-25km/h

2nd gear: 25km-45km/h

3rd gear: 45km/h-60km/h

4th gear: 60km-80km/h

5th gear: 80km-100km/h

6th gear: 100km/h +

Obviously sometimes the varying factors and conditions will change your choice in gears.

This is driving in normal conditions and grandma shifting. Not spastic revving and racelike

Edited by johnnieboi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just interested in what gears you guys choose at what speed? sorry if its been covered. Talked to kenshinx about it before too. Is it okay to go 60km/h in 6th? i always thought that would hurt your gearbox and engine? Because the revs are down lower and engine sounds like its struggling? Correct me if im wrong

For all the vehicles that i've driven over the years. For the most part its: (speed is just rough estimate)

1st gear: 0km-25km/h

2nd gear: 25km-45km/h

3rd gear: 45km/h-60km/h

4th gear: 60km-80km/h

5th gear: 80km-100km/h

6th gear: 100km/h +

Obviously sometimes the varying factors and conditions will change your choice in gears.

This is driving in normal conditions and grandma shifting. Not spastic revving and racelike

It'd help if you had 6 gears xD

I've got the 5 speed option (Non 2ZZ) :P

Comparing to a Sportivo is a bit silly. Different gearbox and engine.

This is what I normally change at (for 2ZZGE):

1st: 20km/h

2nd: 40km/h

3rd: 50km/h

4th: 60km/h

5th: 70km/h

6th: I use for above 70km/h

In other words this is me changing gears at 3000rpms. Tyres are Toyo Proxes T1Rs 205/50/R16.

My shift pattern is similar to "and1" in the sportivo.

Normally i go by the Revs and the engine sound. Naturally going downhill i shift quicker as the engine requires less effort.

As SD mentioned the Owners guide has a range that is defined by Toyota to be acceptable without causing damage.

Sadly because of bad driving habits i tend to shift into 6th before its recommended and sometimes it’s around 60km/hr if the car is coasting and the engine not struggling.

At the end of the day a "trained ear" will know exactly when to shift.Sure all senior drivers on the Forum know what i mean.

The Toyota recommendation goes out of the window then . :)

At the end of the day a "trained ear" will know exactly when to shift.Sure all senior drivers on the Forum know what i mean.

Interesting thread......

Ive always driven by feel, i dont think ive ever changed gears by noting my revs/speed. Will try and take note now to see how i compare....

not really young lol, i posted something similar to this as well, i tend to cruise in gears most suitable for fuel efficiency. following SD recommendation to cruise in 5th at 60km/h and 6th at 79km/h i find the car struggles less even when u are cruising. i will try for a week and see what difference does it make on petrol use :)

i also heard from many people however that changing to a higher gear on low speed will ruin the gearbox ONLY if u are going to accelerate to a faster speed because of engine lugging. In this case the toyota recommendation is probably best to follow for the beginners.

not sure if it applies also when ur cruising?

as for myself, with cold engine i shift at 3k and cruise in the lower gears to help the engine warm and at around 3.5k to 4k when the engine is warm.

not a corolla but i will post anyway

If I am driving normally;

1st - 0-30kph

2nd - 30-60kph

3rd - usually skip

4th - 60-80kph

5th - 80+

race spec;

1st 0-40kph

2nd 40-90kph

3rd 90-140kph

4th 140+

The manual has recommendations for when to change up and down gears. For example it recommends to shift at 4000 rpm in the Sportivo; which does make a much better, less notchy, shift.

gear 1 - 0-60

gear 2 - 60-95

gear 3 - 95-130ish

gear 4 - 130-160ish

gear 5 - 160-200ish

gear 6 - max only done 230... lmao no more guts

race spec;

1st 0-40kph

2nd 40-90kph

3rd 90-140kph

4th 140+

where is 5th? :spiteful:

pwor man, which motorway did u tear up? :P how does it handle at those speeds anyways? :P

race spec;

1st 0-40kph

2nd 40-90kph

3rd 90-140kph

4th 140+

where is 5th? :spiteful:

pwor man, which motorway did u tear up? :P how does it handle at those speeds anyways? :P

m4. Pretty good actually tho it's gutsy after 200ish.. Just no torque.. I had abit of Revs to go till redline but just wouldn't go any more lol

i also heard from many people however that changing to a higher gear on low speed will ruin the gearbox ONLY if u are going to accelerate to a faster speed because of engine lugging.

They are wrong. The low revs result in low torque, so the load on the ge****t is well below the designed strength.

i also heard from many people however that changing to a higher gear on low speed will ruin the gearbox ONLY if u are going to accelerate to a faster speed because of engine lugging.

They are wrong. The low revs result in low torque, so the load on the ge****t is well below the designed strength.

yeah, that is crap... but its not brilliant for your fuel economy...

I'm pretty sure the service manual has a guide for the speeds. From memory they recommend shifting at 3000RPM. When I get home i'll have a look

I'm pretty sure the service manual has a guide for the speeds. From memory they recommend shifting at 3000RPM. When I get home i'll have a look

Indeed...

As quite a few of the members have been saying, They don't quite pay attention when they change and for the better part of things, I don't. But I know within a few hundred RPM where I am on the range...

It's approximately

1st - 0-20kmh

2nd - 20-40kmh

3rd - 30-60kmh

4th - 40-80kmh

5th - 50kmh onwards

I think changing at 3000RPM on a cold engine is a bit high, I tend to change at 2000RPM, So...

1st - 0-10kmh

2nd - 10-20kmh

3rd - 20-30kmh

4th - 30-40kmh

5th - 40kmh onwards... And try not to go over 2500rpm, at least till it's heated up...

Anyone think this is necessary?

Edited by Squall0011

Exactly i change gears when my car tells me too, you will eventually get a feel or it.

im guessing from this post you are a young driver?? or have only started driving manual.

Firstly.. not young driver. Been driving manual for about 7 years and yes i can feel my car and i know how to change gears at the right revs.

Let me word this right. Wat i asked in the original post was out of interest to see what revs/speed people change gears at, and what gears they run at what speeds. Just out of interest to how i drive.

What im also asking is that is it okay to drive for eg. 60km/h or 70km/h in 6th gear? Being low speed, would it be damaging to the gearbox or engine. I've never been in 6th gear at 60km/h. I know the car Manual gives you an indication but im just wondering in your opinions. It seems everyone drives around the same range as me.. at cruise levels.

Not like you Prozak-123.. your just crazy ;)

Exactly i change gears when my car tells me too, you will eventually get a feel or it.

im guessing from this post you are a young driver?? or have only started driving manual.

Firstly.. not young driver. Been driving manual for about 7 years and yes i can feel my car and i know how to change gears at the right revs.

Let me word this right. Wat i asked in the original post was out of interest to see what revs/speed people change gears at, and what gears they run at what speeds. Just out of interest to how i drive.

What im also asking is that is it okay to drive for eg. 60km/h or 70km/h in 6th gear? Being low speed, would it be damaging to the gearbox or engine. I've never been in 6th gear at 60km/h. I know the car Manual gives you an indication but im just wondering in your opinions. It seems everyone drives around the same range as me.. at cruise levels.

Not like you Prozak-123.. your just crazy ;)

Stop being sensitive 'johnnieboi' . :mellow:

We are all young at heart so i guess it makes all of us a young driver(s) :D

just cause your in 6th gear at 60k dont mean nuttin except low revs and low torque ur just gonna go no-where if u flat foot lol... i do it all the time.. i also skip gears ie 1-2-4-6