Passengers and alcohol

stevo1210

I'm going on a roadtrip tomorrow with my friend but she's gonna be drinking some alcohol in the car as I'm driving down the coast. Now is this illegal?

I know my other friends do this all the time with other people driving but I just wanna make sure.

I'm the designated driver and I will NOT be drinking at all.

Thanks.

Edited by stevo1210

dont know about nsw, but i'm assuming it'd be the same for all of australia...

it is illegal for her to be drinking in the car... dont know why, but thats the law...

im pretty sure its illegal because its considered a "public" space and no alcohol can be consumed in a "public" space... i could be wrong on that point though...

dont know about nsw, but i'm assuming it'd be the same for all of australia...

it is illegal for her to be drinking in the car... dont know why, but thats the law...

im pretty sure its illegal because its considered a "public" space and no alcohol can be consumed in a "public" space... i could be wrong on that point though...

So is a train. But it's no harm when I'm only drinking 'Coke' :lol:

I always assumes it was to do with the fact that its illegal to have any opened container of alcohol in the cabin, drinking it or otherwise. If you've had a bottle of Jacks at a party, only drank half, and take the other half home, its illegal to carry it in the cabin, coz its been opened.

Anyhow, its only illegal if you get caught! :whistling:

I'm 100% sure this is illegal. As Para said, it is illegal to have opened alcohol in your car (I don't know if it applies to if the car is moving or stationary tho.)

It is actually illegal for the Driver to drink anything whilst driving. But the again, its illegal in much the same way it is illegal for smoking while driving.

• 2 months later...

LOL we passed a few cop cars along the way and my balls basically whimpered cause I was worried about the alcohol bottles in the glovebox, back seat and whatever else was disposed nicely around the car. But we didn't get pulled over or anything so it worked out well.

It's certainly illegal, and you don't really want to get busted for it, trust me <_<

but hey, talk about taking Pre-drinks to the next level, usually I'd drink up before I leave, not while I'm leaving?

Illegal? This is the first time Ive heard of it. Ive been pulled over a few times with drunken people in the back seat and atleast one time they clearly saw the alcohol and said "Have you been drinking" and i replied "no, im designated driver. Look, im still in my trackies..you think i went clubbing boss? haha" He laughed and gave me a random breath test.

No drinking in a public place, yes. i know that that is illegal. But your car is a private vehicle though?

No drinking in a public place, yes. i know that that is illegal. But your car is a private vehicle though?

Private vehicle being operated on a public road though...