JTRON's ZRE

jtron85

Finally posting my facelift ZRE152.

I received my ZRE in late Jan 10 whilst my order was made Sept 09. I wasn't sure if I was going to get the current 09 model or the possible facelift everyone was talking about. BTW this is my first car.

Update: Mrs now drives this as a daily so I won't be messing around with it too much... for now.

zre152facelift4.jpg

zre01.jpg

Thanks Charlie for the pics.

zre04.jpg

zre03.jpg

The controversial rear end. At first I didn't like it, but I think it's grown on me. I had the same reaction with the Corolla sedan.

zre02.jpg

As for now it's stock apart from the muffler.

Currently have:

Xforce Twinloop exhaust

30% tint

Front weather shields

Headlight protectors

As for now I'm looking at the following to install:

Whiteline rear sway bar

Cusco front strut bar

Eibach Pro-kit springs or Lovells

Rear LED reflectors

Slimline weather shields

Premium horn

Injen CAI

17" wheels - Still trying to choose and will probably come last.

Sportivo front lip

Nice shots, nice car John. I freaked when i felt how high the seat was too, im used to lounging almost in the back seat :) but you do become a custom to it... 'til you start throwing the car around then you will find you need a new seat... but hey, just grip that steering wheel tighter!!

I have a quick question, just under the face lift tail lights, is that lower edge of the tails flush with the bumper or do the tails poke out a little? I see a little shadow under there..

Good list of mods planned too, the car will be great once they are carried out!

Nice shots, nice car John. I freaked when i felt how high the seat was too, im used to lounging almost in the back seat :) but you do become a custom to it... 'til you start throwing the car around then you will find you need a new seat... but hey, just grip that steering wheel tighter!!

I have a quick question, just under the face lift tail lights, is that lower edge of the tails flush with the bumper or do the tails poke out a little? I see a little shadow under there..

Good list of mods planned too, the car will be great once they are carried out!

Haha yeah I still freak out at the roundabout at times and do my best and hold on.

If I understand you correctly, yes the tail does stick out just slightly.

Not sure if you can notice in this picture, but the edge slopes down and the tail slopes out a little more.

zre152facelift3.jpg

While every other ZRE almost has an Injen intake, I ended up getting a second hand K&N Apollo. I had a good look in my engine bay and realized that it wasn't a completely universal kit. I realized that my MAF sensor was actually on the airbox. That was a fail on my part, so the K&N is just sitting at home at the moment. I may sell it on Ebay later on.

ZRE airbox with MAF sensor, I guess this was Toyota's way of being clever with the ZRE152 facelift.

23235999.jpg

You can still remove it from that airbox and use an Injen, thats easily done.. I cant for see any problems doing so.

Looks like installing an Injen CAI will be fine... It's just that the K&N Apollo is just simply a pod with an enclosure which should replace my the facelift's airbox. Unfortunately that also means removing the MAF sensor from the original set up and using a MAF sensor adapter/custom mount. Although the K&N Apollo should install quite easily on the pre-facelift.

Edited by jtron85

• 1 month later...

Not liking the look of these welds, Such a noob for not having a closer look when I had them done.

Thinking of getting them done correctly, anyone recommend a place?...

westsidewelds.jpg

Edited by jtron85

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey jtron, how's it feel with the front strut now? im thinking about getting it soon as well

Cornering feels more stable and responsive, it's got rid of the wobbling feeling out of corners. I'm still running stock suspension so there's still a lot of body roll (mostly felt by the passengers).

Unfortunately I slightly bent the base on the driver side, I must have tightened it a little too hard against the groove found on top of the strut. I might loosen it a little this weekend as the car slightly steers to one or either side.

Somehow a slight nudge affects the direction, anyone tell me if this is normal? Feels like I just need to go for an alignment...

Hey jtron, how's it feel with the front strut now? im thinking about getting it soon as well

Cornering feels more stable and responsive, it's got rid of the wobbling feeling out of corners. I'm still running stock suspension so there's still a lot of body roll (mostly felt by the passengers).

Unfortunately I slightly bent the base on the driver side, I must have tightened it a little too hard against the groove found on top of the strut. I might loosen it a little this weekend as the car slightly steers to one or either side.

Somehow a slight nudge affects the direction, anyone tell me if this is normal? Feels like I just need to go for an alignment...

You need wheel alignment, dont think it'd be your front strut affecting your steering. Front strut brace stiffened my steering and reduced bodyroll.

If you get front sway, it improves your steering response and makes your front more flat around corners, but we all need more work on the rear, front is fine with just strut brace if you dont have coilovers.

• 7 months later...

Hey man nice ride. See you were looking into installing a CAI on your facelift. Any luck so far with the MAF sensor and airbox being a single unit?

Looking at getting a CAI installed in my facelift too :S

I've been very tempted and close to grabbing a CAI. I think the Injen CAI should be fine on the facelift, I think the 09 ZREs have the single unit as well (Ask Dutchie). Decided not to install due to a few members rides throwing the error. I have a feeling that the CAI caused the engine to run too lean, you may get around this by running on 98RON.

I've been very tempted and close to grabbing a CAI. I think the Injen CAI should be fine on the facelift, I think the 09 ZREs have the single unit as well (Ask Dutchie). Decided not to install due to a few members rides throwing the error. I have a feeling that the CAI caused the engine to run too lean, you may get around this by running on 98RON.

Hey mate, i installed a takeda sri onto friends facelift no problems no engine light

@jtron85: yeh I usually fill up on 98. Haven't used 95 or 91 since I got my car.

@A.Rice: how did you get around the MAF/airbox thingy?

The takeda sri intake has a hole to mount sensor, so i just unscrewed sensor from stock housing and put it into pipe