Windows Fogging up

Hi guys

With winter (or when it rains) there seems to be a pest of an issue with the windows fogging up .

I know the easiest way to fix this is turning on the AC and letting fresh air from outside but this is not always practical.

Firstly too cold in winter , Secondly running the a/c ruins fuel economy.

So my question is :

What have you guys used and what seems the be the most effective.

If its a product then where to get it from and the price range.

I do keep cleaning my windows and windscreen(from the inside) but its not too long before it fogs up again.

I know there are products like "Rain-X Interior Glass Anti-Fog " but dont want to spend $11 odd if it aint gonna work . :unsure:

Then there are anti fog wipes and mittens and FOGTECH® Advanced One-Step Anti-Fog

What works best for me* is if it is dry outside, I simply put the heat up a little more and put the windows down a crack (as in alike a couple of centimetres). Having the vent on fresh air also aids this. This reduces the humidity inside and in most cases eliminates the windows fogging up.

Otherwise, if it is raining outside and you have to keep your windows completely shut, having the A/C running is the next best option. This is also one of the best options when you have entered the car whilst it is raining since the heat will pretty much make it rather humid inside utilising the moisture that has been brought inside, especially that from your shoes transferred to the carpet mats.

Both those options also help to keep your inside relatively dry which in turn reduces that damp smell.

Sure usign the A/C may use slightly more fuel (you'd be surprised that it really isn't that much), you have to consider the cost of the anti-fog treatments and the fact that you have to re-apply them every so often, the extra cost would probably work out to be the same. At least with the A/C you get extra benefits as mentioned above so it's more of a win.

*In cases where I do have the windows up (other in the car, etc) because even when cold, I drive with the windows all the way down and the heat on full.

Yeah, the A/C normally fixes the fogging up for me. I've tried leaving just heat on and window down a bit.. and stubbornly drive with all windows fogged up in the hope it will clear up. lol

Ended up buying RainX Anti fog from Autobarn for $10.00 .

The 1st application was a bit shonky and it fogged up really quick but then i took my time reapplying it because some spots were really obvious where i had missed it.

The results are not bad at all , so far the only spots fogging is where you can see i streaked it upon application.

Verdict : So far $10 well spent but will see how long it lasts before it needs to be re-applied.

On a dry warm day and with a clean, dry & soft towel, wipe the inside windows down until there is no streaks. A fair bit of elbow grease helps but be careful with tints to not scratch them. This will reduce the condensation forming for a few months from weather changes. Just remember to not put it into recirculated air when it's raining (unless there's a smokey diesel in front of you). You won't need A/C at all saving you $$ and fuel. Unless there's 5 people in the car, I don't use A/C at all when it's raining.

Using A/C creates a thin greasy film on the insides of the windows that causes the fog up and it doesn't clear up until you turn on the A/C or give it a good wipe. It also doesn't clear up even when it's hot and sunny.

• 2 weeks later...

You can turn the A/C on while the dial is on heat. The A/C removes moisture in the air.

Many people make the mistake that the A/C can only be used when the dial is on cool.

You can turn the A/C on while the dial is on heat. The A/C removes moisture in the air.

Many people make the mistake that the A/C can only be used when the dial is on cool.

When i say A/C to my old folkes they laugh especially when i say i will use it at home in Winter ..

A/c works both ways , to heat or Cool and i totally agree , lot of ppl just think it can only cool..

On the subject of the Fogging up , the RainX is still doing its job and the services of the A/C has been retired for the time being.

At 3.30am i have the temp set at 30 degrees heat only with Zero fogging ...

Another one to try is using a bar of soap. Yep the stuff you use in the shower.

Draw pretty pictures over your front windscreen and then wipe of completely using a soft towel.

Do not use on tinted windows. Idea works for the mirrors in the bathroom as well and stops them fogging up also.

When i say A/C to my old folkes they laugh especially when i say i will use it at home in Winter ..

A/c works both ways , to heat or Cool and i totally agree , lot of ppl just think it can only cool..

In a home reverse-cycle air-conditioner, this is true - the system literally "reverses" so that it gives off heat into the house and absorbs heat from outside. In a car though, the air-con actually only cools - when you have the dial/knob on "hot" and the air-con on, what you are actually doing is initially cooling the air via the air-con and then heating it up again via the heater. You'll notice that the air coming out of the vents with both heater and air-con on is never quite as hot as when just the heater is on. A car air-con is not reverse cycle, it only operates in one direction

The reason to use the aircon and heater at the same time is to make use of the de-humidifying properties of the air-con - cooler air holds less moisture so the water in the air condenses out in the aircon and drains to the road (which is why you leave a puddle of water on the road whenever you park with the air-con on). This is why the air-con works at demisting the windscreen - the dry air "soaks up" the moisture on the windscreen.

I've also tried rain-x anti-fog. Good product, absolutely stops fog dead in its tracks. However, for some reason the fog on my windows was replaced by a layer of water! I'll try another application to see if that helps though...

Ever since I installed the Toyota slimline weather shields, I haven't had a problem with windows fogging up while driving.

Simply, have the windows slightly open to release the moisture build up in the car, turn on the heater to keep warm and the weathershields does it's job by blocking out the wind and rain from coming inside the cabin. It's a costly investment, but blardy works a treat!

I always carry a few micro cloths and chamois in the car to clean the front windscreen when it fogs up. I also carry a window wiper to remove water from the rear window to allow easier defogging.

Ever since I installed the Toyota slimline weather shields, I haven't had a problem with windows fogging up while driving.

Simply, have the windows slightly open to release the moisture build up in the car, turn on the heater to keep warm and the weathershields does it's job by blocking out the wind and rain from coming inside the cabin. It's a costly investment, but blardy works a treat!

This is not too practical on the Highway Driving .Too much noise and wind filters through even with the weathershield fitted .

Most of the driving i do is at 110km/hr and around it , for that reason i had to get the RainX antifog product and thankfully it works..

Having the Window down at lower speeds works but a pain in Winter ..

This is not too practical on the Highway Driving .Too much noise and wind filters through even with the weathershield fitted .

Most of the driving i do is at 110km/hr and around it , for that reason i had to get the RainX antifog product and thankfully it works..

Having the Window down at lower speeds works but a pain in Winter ..

What noise? All i hear is my candy red vacuum cleaner in the engine bay. :D Ever since installing the weathershields on my car, wind noise had been reduced dramatically.

Its very practical for me as I'd rather have my windows slightly open rather than have the aircon on (consumes more petrol) to get rid of the fog on my windscreen/windows.

The car runs more efficiently and frankly a little bit of wind noise without the wind and rain getting into the cabin is a fair compromise to prevent my windscreen from fogging up.

My smoked weathershields is also good for summer. I have the windows down (20mm) to let out the cabin heat build up when the temp outside is cooler (but sunny as) than inside the car, thus no point having the aircon turned on, whilst on the fwy.

It also blocks out the sunrays going into the car and blinding me while driving. It's also good for when I use to smoke in the car. I didn't have to worry about having the wind blow out my ciggie when I had my windows down, or have the wind burn it so fast that I could only get 2 puffs out of it instead of the usual 8-10.

As for having windows down in winter, I turn on the heater and increase the temp to offset the coldness from outside... common sense really :P

Is this a common thing with Aurions?

When I have the heater on face position, it will slightly start to fog up the window from the bottom where the window vent is. It ****** me off so much today because all the windows kept fogging up like crazy.

Only option that solved it was having the aircon and heater on but that was too much.

Some cars I have been in, the heat is a very nice dry heat, in the Toyotas its a very damp heat.

I never really get the fogging up issue because I always have my windows down a slight amount when the heater is on.

I'm a bit of an odd one. I have my heater on full bore in winter (or on cool summer nights) and I use my windows to regulate the temperature. Too hot, I put them down more, too cold, vice versa.

I do find the heat to be more 'humid' than dry, but I can't really comment on what causes this. It could just be the way it heats the air or maybe it is just better at picking up the moisture in the air.

i dunno, it might just be my car but ive never had a issue with fogging windows in my aurion...

all my interior windows are cleaned using meguiars no smear glass cleaner..

what i normally do when i get in the car and its really cold outside (8 degrees and below) is i drive until the engine warms up, then turn on the heater (without pressing the AC on) at the hottest setting. let it warm the inside of the car up, and then simply turn off the fan while still having the temperature knob at the hottest... i find while driving along the warm air drawn from outside (possibly within the engine bay) keeps the interior warm enough to not fog up while being pretty comfortable...

just my 2c on this...

I never really get the fogging up issue because I always have my windows down a slight amount when the heater is on.

I'm a bit of an odd one. I have my heater on full bore in winter (or on cool summer nights) and I use my windows to regulate the temperature. Too hot, I put them down more, too cold, vice versa.

I do find the heat to be more 'humid' than dry, but I can't really comment on what causes this. It could just be the way it heats the air or maybe it is just better at picking up the moisture in the air.

Leaving the window is okay but then my hands start getting cold, it gets up to three degrees here at night so having the window down and the cold breeze hitting your hands on the steering is really uncomfortable.

I think there is something not right about the Aurions because I don't think they designed them properly to completely block air flow into the front window vents. Because when I put my hand over them when its on face position I can feel a very light air coming out which then gradually fogs up my front windows.

What I do then is blast the front windows with hot which takes away the fog but then all my back windows fog up! I still have not managed to find a solution to combat this.

i dunno, it might just be my car but ive never had a issue with fogging windows in my aurion...

what i normally do when i get in the car and its really cold outside (8 degrees and below) is i drive until the engine warms up, then turn on the heater (without pressing the AC on) at the hottest setting. let it warm the inside of the car up, and then simply turn off the fan while still having the temperature knob at the hottest... i find while driving along the warm air drawn from outside (possibly within the engine bay) keeps the interior warm enough to not fog up while being pretty comfortable...

just my 2c on this...

This.

I have done this as well but seriously a car with leather seats with no seat warmers can get cold, very cold especially in Melbourne winter. When I sit on my seats its like sitting on a big ice cube :lol:

Thinking of getting some gloves, beanie, big jacket and a blanket when driving next time so I don't need to use the heater.

just my 2c on this...

That works to an extent when the hot air is able to carry a lot more moisture and as it works its way to the back windows, you'll find it gets cooler and fogs up the rear windows in certain circumstances. Also having too much warm air on the inside of the windscreen can cause the windscreen to freeze over within seconds. Happens only when you hit a patch of really cold air and it's happened to me once driving to the snowy mountains.