Which pad should I get?

So I've narrowed it down to these three pads:

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/lake_country/soft_polishing_pad_65

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/lake_country/polishing_pad_65

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/lake_country/light_cut_pad_65

Which pad should I use with my Megs Swirl Remover 2.0 (rotary)

I'll follow the process with the wax attack buffer with the megs 2.0 wax.

So I've narrowed it down to these three pads:

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/lake_country/soft_polishing_pad_65

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/lake_country/polishing_pad_65

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/lake_country/light_cut_pad_65

Which pad should I use with my Megs Swirl Remover 2.0 (rotary)

I'll follow the process with the wax attack buffer with the megs 2.0 wax.

you should dig a little further next time, though i know this is a forum, the descriptions of the 3 pads in the 3 links above say:

Black pad = finishing polish pad - ideal for after harsh polishings

White pad = light polishing pad - ideal for mild polishing (probably good aged clear coats)

Orange pad = moderate polishing pad - ideal for oxidized surfaces.

Green pad = heavy polishing pad - just because its used by merc doesnt mean its right for everyone.

the problem with german paint on german cars is that their clear coats are thick and hard for surface removal of swirls and cobwebs, hence why dealers will use heavy polishing pad. after the use of the heavy pad they will then switch to the black finishing polish pad to fine out the surface after the use of the green "heavy" polishing pad.

you should test on a section of your car before doing anything. detailing might look easy to diy but when things go wrong its all over, you need the know how and more importantly the experience. its one thing to apply cream on your machine then work on your car, its another to know what pattern to follow (with the machine) when working on your car, what pads, what materials and what you exactly want to achieve. you also need to be aware of the paint thickness. if you take too much paint off...it would be very costly.

tip - jap paints on jap cars are thinner than your german counterparts, so just be aware.

tip 2 - its not ideal for you to remove ALL the swirls on your daily drive - because new ones will ultimately be created through washing, rocks, dirt, so the more HEAVY swirl,cobweb,light scratch removal you do, the thinner your paint surface will be. if you have a solid stage paint that maybe ok, but if you have a clear coat....

tip 3 - save the 100% swirl/cobweb/scratch removal for your weekend rides.

tip 4 - waxes aid in hiding swirl/cobweb/scratches, so the more your wax, the less they will be apparent.

there are loads of forums out there where the comparison of how before and after waxing dramatically changes the swirl/cobweb/scratch capture by the camera, and to the naked eye - in direct sunlight.

tip 5 - be careful with the green pad you purchased.

cheerio

Edited by Wixy

Thank you very much for the awesome informative reply. I'll keep the green pad speed slow, probably about 1000RPM. I will use a designated spot first and see how it works out.

I'm not after 100% swirl removal as its impossible on a daily unless I put in the huge effort that davo does and I'm not just up to that.

Sometimes I'm even happy with just a simple soap wash and dry and off I go.

But these swirls have ****** me off bad, until I can at least reduce swirling I'll be happy.

By the way I have no scratching on the car, just light surface swirling caused by general washing, vehicle usage etc. For someone that swirling on my car would be normal and they wouldn't even notice. But since I'm so OCD about my car it annoys me :P.

I remember selling my old camry, the guy that bought it couldn't stop commenting how clean it was. Even though in my eyes it wasn't 100% my standards but for him it was show room :lol:

Thank you very much for the awesome informative reply. I'll keep the green pad speed slow, probably about 1000RPM. I will use a designated spot first and see how it works out.

I'm not after 100% swirl removal as its impossible on a daily unless I put in the huge effort that davo does and I'm not just up to that.

But these swirls have ****** me off bad, until I can at least reduce swirling I'll be happy.

By the way I have no scratching on the car, just light surface swirling caused by general washing, vehicle usage etc. For someone that swirling on my car would be normal and they wouldn't even notice. But since I'm so OCD about my car it annoys me :P.

I remember selling my old camry, the guy that bought it couldn't stop commenting how clean it was. Even though in my eyes it wasn't 100% my standards but for him it was show room :lol:

You should polish on a relatively fast speed. I normally use 4-5 on my G220. But I only use a lake country ccs white pad with swirl x. Better to start with a less aggressive polish/pad combo and see how that works because you can also go over it again.

You should polish on a relatively fast speed. I normally use 4-5 on my G220. But I only use a lake country ccs white pad with swirl x. Better to start with a less aggressive polish/pad combo and see how that works because you can also go over it again.

Thanks mate. I don't have a G220 but I have the rotary. Since the Swirlx is not compatible with a rotary(not sure why) I have to use Swirl Remover 2.0 (#9) which apparently is compatible.

It's impossible to remove swirls. I just went crazy on a small section of roof panel on the car to test different products. This time I used them by hand and I could still see swirling.

I just used swirlx with meguires hand applicator pad and it did nothing really. It still looks the same to me. I then used my buffer, the same thing happened, I used the rotary and the same. The swirling is still there.

I'm going to wait for my new pad to come in and then purchase some swirl remover 2.0. IF this does not help with swirls I'm calling defeat and giving up indefinitely (trying to remove swirling) because I can't put up with it any more. It's become personal so it's royally sh*tting me.

Thanks mate. I just went to supercheap auto few hours ago and picked up swirl remover 2.0, now all I need is to wait for my pad to come. Wish me luck.

edit: Supercheap auto should change their name. There is nothing "cheap" about them. The prices are the same if not more expensive then other car stores.

Edited by unique