2zr-fe oil

hey guys i did a search for "zre oil" and there were no topics so i started this one.

So... My car needs an oil change and the manual recommends 15w-40.But are there any other grades i could use safely that would increase performance?

Edited by Ascendant Rice

You can go to a thinner oil (lower numbers). The lower viscosity requires less effort for the engine to move, thus less load on it. The first number is the viscosity when cold, while the second number is when it is hot; a Google search will show up at what temperatures they do the test at (I've just never really bothered to remember it). So for example compared to the 15w40 a 10w40 will only be thinner for start up (which is good in cold climates). A 15w30 will be thinner at a higher temperature. Why not run 0w10 then? Well a lighter oil doesn't provide as much protection as a thicker oil; it's all a trade off. Go for a 10w40 or 10w30, as 15w40 might be a bit thick for Sydney weather (but is still perfectly fine).

You can go to a thinner oil (lower numbers). The lower viscosity requires less effort for the engine to move, thus less load on it. The first number is the viscosity when cold, while the second number is when it is hot; a Google search will show up at what temperatures they do the test at (I've just never really bothered to remember it). So for example compared to the 15w40 a 10w40 will only be thinner for start up (which is good in cold climates). A 15w30 will be thinner at a higher temperature. Why not run 0w10 then? Well a lighter oil doesn't provide as much protection as a thicker oil; it's all a trade off. Go for a 10w40 or 10w30, as 15w40 might be a bit thick for Sydney weather (but is still perfectly fine).

thanks dave

Toyota service my car so what do they have off the shelf to buy? just to keep in the garage for top ups if needed. I've seen the Magnatec but not too keen on that.Iam sure they wouldnt service it with that anyway.

Will, I've been using Mobil 1 5w-50 for the past 20,000kms. Seems to be really good, however it is winter now so 50 might be a bit too thick.

My 30,000kms service is due, am going to try Castrol Edge 5w-30. The manual says 20w-50, 10w-30, 5w-30, 5w-20, 0w-20 can be used. Ideally, I think you should go either 5w-30 or 10w-30. :)

Peter.

vvti relies on the correct oil pressure to function properly, if the oil is too thin or thick the commanded cam angle may not be able to be achieved with the solenoid duty cycle used and throw a check engine light.

vvti relies on the correct oil pressure to function properly, if the oil is too thin or thick the commanded cam angle may not be able to be achieved with the solenoid duty cycle used and throw a check engine light.

Thanks mate for explaining! :)