My Aurion Dash rattle experience

Hi guys,

Can you recommend a Toyota Service centre in Sydney to fix the dash rattle? I am not sure if there is a such service centre who can fix it straight away though. :(

I took my Aurion 2008 to Castle Hill Toyota this week. They "fixed" it. But I can't see any difference - the dash is still rattling on the drivers side. It looks like they just put some extra paper sticky tape around wires and tightened up screws.

To be fair the rattle is not strong. And I can hear it when car is going over 70 km/h and the road is a bit rough. Still annoying. And I have a couple of clips felt out of the dash in the last couple of months.

So I am a bit frustrated now and I am not sure if I should push them (Castle Hill Toyota) harder in order to do something. :( Or just try another service centre...

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Ive had my 07 prodigy for about 6 weeks now. I bought it with a used car 3 month dealers warranty. The Dash is making creaks and slight rattling sounds and when i turn hard it sounds like something my be shifting/moving inside (could be papers and service book. Ill check the glove box) Do you think this would be covered under my warranty. It only appears intermitently?

Also on an unrelated matter the top three lines/ wires of my rear demister are not working at all. Would this be covered under warranty? Or is this an annoying trait of rear demisters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to take it back to many times, because i truely do enjoy the way it drives atm (when its not creaking)

Thx guys

Hi all,

Ive had my 07 prodigy for about 6 weeks now. I bought it with a used car 3 month dealers warranty. The Dash is making creaks and slight rattling sounds and when i turn hard it sounds like something my be shifting/moving inside (could be papers and service book. Ill check the glove box) Do you think this would be covered under my warranty. It only appears intermitently?

Also on an unrelated matter the top three lines/ wires of my rear demister are not working at all. Would this be covered under warranty? Or is this an annoying trait of rear demisters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to take it back to many times, because i truely do enjoy the way it drives atm (when its not creaking)

Thx guys

If you still have warranty. All of that would most definitely be covered. But be quick with the rattles. Usually after so many years/kms they say it's now normal for a car of that age and km's and might not cover the rattle.

That's the aerial for the radio that's built into the rear window. You'll notice it's separate to the demisters..

thx guys, its booked in now to fix the rattle/squeek and there also goin to hav a look at my suspension and air con.

I think my coil overs are set to rigid(It can be a bumpy ride sometimes on what looks like smooth road) and there is a stain on my passenger seat floor mat which may indicate a leak in the cooling system or air con heater pipe (However i just noticed it when cleaning the car on the weekend and it could b from anything).

Thx again

My Aurion rattles and squeaks big time!!!, coming from the both LH and RH air vents, window vibrating on the dash, middle air con assembly, gear area and my knee touching the edge.

Drives me nuts! To make things worse Toyota was aware of this reoccurring problem I often complained about and decided to go ahead and order a whole new dash, while I still had 5 weeks factory warranty left. They took their time ordering and my warranty ran out! !! And that’s that I guess,,, ,,

I've just ordered a few IBM SAS servers, some of the components are wrapped in high quality fire proof sponge and flexible polystyrene, which I'll try and utilise to repel the squeaks!

I have done the middle interior already and destroyed any squeaks as well as its being sturdier; I’m not feeling to confident doing the dash, because I’d rather pull the whole dash out, which isn’t going to be as easy as the quick release middle int.

If only they could build the interior with the same flag ship unbeatable quality as the 2gr-fe, 2grfse. A bunch of Trent from Punchies at the Melbourne manufacturing plant! :yahoo:

doesn't seem right. If I recall correctly, if an issue is brought up during the warranty period then it is still covered by the warranty despite it passing the warranty-end date if awaiting parts.

+1.

Anyway, enough of me bragging how my dash is perfect now and it's time to show some of you guys a quick fix to the squeaking that comes from the gear lever area.

I was annoyed by this squeak as well so I had a look how it could happen and I realised that the top part and bottom part are touching each other and when they meet they squeak.

So here is what I did today:

Open the top part and put a foam double sided sticky tape:

DSCN3882.jpg

Then cut it to size:

DSCN3883.jpg

DSCN3884.jpg

Then when you put the cover back down it will look like this:

DSCN3886.jpg

If you can think or do a better job than me please tell. But so far I'm very happy with this fix and it's stopped the squeaking 100%

:)

I fixed my squeak around the gear shift console much the same way by using a small 20mm strip of U shaped rubber seal cut length ways and packed between the upper and lower plastic sections. Nice job you did though and good to have no more squeaks.

My 07 Aurion is out of warranty, so the dash rattle was going to cost $600 by Toyota to replace the dash clips. To stop the rattle, I bought a 3 pack of black rubber door stop wedges from a hardware store for $3, cut two of them down and placed one on either side of the dash between the dash and the windscreen. They are visable from inside the car, but from the outside they are hidden behind the black windscreen glass strip. Again, a cheap fix and no more rattles to annoy me.

I fixed my squeak around the gear shift console much the same way by using a small 20mm strip of U shaped rubber seal cut length ways and packed between the upper and lower plastic sections. Nice job you did though and good to have no more squeaks.

My 07 Aurion is out of warranty, so the dash rattle was going to cost $600 by Toyota to replace the dash clips. To stop the rattle, I bought a 3 pack of black rubber door stop wedges from a hardware store for $3, cut two of them down and placed one on either side of the dash between the dash and the windscreen. They are visable from inside the car, but from the outside they are hidden behind the black windscreen glass strip. Again, a cheap fix and no more rattles to annoy me.

Are you able to show some pics of how it looks from the inside? My Prodigy is out of warranty too and getting it investigated and fixed by the Toyota dealer would be too costly.

Sorry to highjack this thread but I believe I now have the Aurion with the most dash rattle in Aus..

Just picked up my car from the service centre after having a suspension fix on the RHS. The drive home was an experience to say the least. The suspension was firm and felt better however I can no longer Hear myself think above the sqeaking and groaning of the dash.

I used to have a multitude of squeaks above the clock area and the centre console but after the 'fix' I have developed a new one around the steering wheel area and it's twice as annoying as the other two combined.

Even on the smoothest of roads it squeaks all the time. I decided to ask the guys at the workshop if the could look into it but the told me the have to remove the whole dash and can sometimes make it worse... Trust me it can't get worse...

I have two schools of thought on this; 1- I have mice in my dash and they are slowly multiplying and nesting in different areas of my dash/console. To disprove this theory I'm going to leave the car doors open tonight and breadcrumb trail some cheese to a series of set mouse traps. If I wake up tomorrow and have failed to catch any mice I believe theory 2 may apply...

Theory 2- Toyota Aurion dashes are inherently prone to squeaking and Toyota dealerships are inherently prone to denying theory 2...

I'm offering to anyone lives near Brissy and wants to earn a premium carton of beer/bottle of spirits to physically help me in ridding my car of the dash mice/squeaks...

On a side note, after today's fix my car now pulls to the left again... I can see myself buying a one of those castor correction kits mentioned in these forums....

:)

WhiteTRD

I'm guessing it has something to do with stiffening up the suspension

Squeak update!!

No mice located this morning disproving theory 1... Looks like theory 2 is the most likely...

Offer still stands if anyone has the tools/know how to fix the issue... Have lost faith in the Toyota 'sevicing' deartment who deny the fault exists.

• 1 month later...

Are you able to show some pics of how it looks from the inside? My Prodigy is out of warranty too and getting it investigated and fixed by the Toyota dealer would be too costly.

Apologies for the delay in replying, haven't been around these parts for some time. :lol:

I'm not sure if you wanted photos of the gearshift console or the dash? As you are unable to see the rubber strip between the gearshift console, I thought I would post photos of the dash showing the rubber wedges I modified to stop the dash rattle.

post-20233-0-32149600-1317521666_thumb.jpost-20233-0-33664200-1317521791_thumb.jpost-20233-0-26105000-1317522237_thumb.j

Hope these help!! :yahoo:

Apologies for the delay in replying, haven't been around these parts for some time. :lol:

I'm not sure if you wanted photos of the gearshift console or the dash? As you are unable to see the rubber strip between the gearshift console, I thought I would post photos of the dash showing the rubber wedges I modified to stop the dash rattle.

post-20233-0-32149600-1317521666_thumb.jpost-20233-0-33664200-1317521791_thumb.jpost-20233-0-26105000-1317522237_thumb.j

Hope these help!! :yahoo:

Thanks for this! The rubber strips works like a treat! I ended up buying smaller pieces of this stuff and didn't have to do any cutting.