diff oil?

I've been thinking about this for a while so please excuse my ignorance but do we have to change the diff oil in our Aurions as well?(FWD). I know that it should be changed on RWD at around 90K.

I know that in FWD drives its harder since everything is so tight and no room to play with so is it a mammoth of a job to do? How much is the average to pay a mechanic to get it done?

I'm not planning on getting mine changed any time soon but just wondering for future reference and the more you know the better :)

Thanks.

You've already done it mate. You differential oil shares your transmission oil.

You will find this is the case with a lot of FWD's out there. It's only occasionally on a FWD that you will find the transmission and the differential as a separate unit.

Edit: And CONROD below brings up a very valid point. It's all in it's name. You may have read commonly said on the forums here, that we have referred to the Aurion transmission as the U660E Transaxle. Well, like he said, here is the definition of a transaxle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transaxle

I've been thinking about this for a while so please excuse my ignorance but do we have to change the diff oil in our Aurions as well?(FWD). I know that it should be changed on RWD at around 90K.

I know that in FWD drives its harder since everything is so tight and no room to play with so is it a mammoth of a job to do? How much is the average to pay a mechanic to get it done?

I'm not planning on getting mine changed any time soon but just wondering for future reference and the more you know the better :)

Thanks.

Good question Unique,when a vehicle is driven by the front wheels rather than having a Diff as such it has what is commonly known as a Trans Axle (Differential and Transmission COMBINED )Going by the hand book for the Aurion it holds a total of 6.5 litres of WS (world standard) Automatic Transmission fluid,with only a mention of replacement at 90,000km (Additional service)otherwise its only an inspection at every 45000km unless its used for towing etc then the inspection periods are almost halved.They are a sealed unit and have no dipstick,but then again unless its leaking the fluid is not going to dissappear or drop in level.

If anyone else can shine more information on this matter I too would be interested.

Thanks.

Good question Unique,when a vehicle is driven by the front wheels rather than having a Diff as such it has what is commonly known as a Trans Axle (Differential and Transmission COMBINED )Going by the hand book for the Aurion it holds a total of 6.5 litres of WS (world standard) Automatic Transmission fluid,with only a mention of replacement at 90,000km (Additional service)otherwise its only an inspection at every 45000km unless its used for towing etc then the inspection periods are almost halved.They are a sealed unit and have no dipstick,but then again unless its leaking the fluid is not going to dissappear or drop in level.

If anyone else can shine more information on this matter I too would be interested.

you are correct about the transaxle incorporating the one oil level. some earlier camry autos did have a separate oil level for the diff side and a lot of mechanics did not know this. Hence the old sv21 autos were bullet proof , until the pinion seal leaked and the diff lost oil. so if the mech/tech was not aware of this , goodbye complete transaxle (auto's dont fair well with floating metal particles)

so if you have your auto oil replaced it will also include the diff in the case of the u660e transaxle. The way to check the auto oil level is complicated and really can only be done with an IT2 , the trans oil is at a specific temp and after running thru a feqw nominated shift positions and holding your mouth right you can remove the overflow plug to see if the level is correct.

Thanks.

you are correct about the transaxle incorporating the one oil level. some earlier camry autos did have a separate oil level for the diff side and a lot of mechanics did not know this. Hence the old sv21 autos were bullet proof , until the pinion seal leaked and the diff lost oil. so if the mech/tech was not aware of this , goodbye complete transaxle (auto's dont fair well with floating metal particles)

so if you have your auto oil replaced it will also include the diff in the case of the u660e transaxle. The way to check the auto oil level is complicated and really can only be done with an IT2 , the trans oil is at a specific temp and after running thru a feqw nominated shift positions and holding your mouth right you can remove the overflow plug to see if the level is correct.

Thanks GSV40R,It sounds like a bit of experience on your behalf dealing with the above,cheers