Best Oil For Gen 1 Kluger 3MZ-FE

NimrodAUS

Coming up on due for an oil change and I want to get the best oil I can for my Kluger. The Choice is between Valvoline or Castrol. I want to go synthetic but I really dont know if thats going to be good for the motor or not. I cant see why not but I just feel a little out of my depth here with Fancy Toyota Engines (in a long time holden boy). Basically the reconnended stuff is a 10W-30. Im wondering if a Castrol EDGE 5W-30 would be better? Any input would be great. Thanks guys.

*Mine is but one view*

I have always used Mobil 1 in all my engines (select suitable grade). < Perfect engine wear/long term durability.

Recently in my own Kluger I switched to Valvoline (mainly due to half cost!) 0w-40 (their best synthetic) only $50 a 5lt bottle. It returns the same fuel economy and power, same engine noise up to 10,000km change point, oil comes out clean like the day you first put it in and it did not use one drop from 0km fill.

Castrol I rate as the worst engine oil available, used it for over a decade before switching to Mobil and they were sh7t then and I don't see why they would have got any better in time? they do advertise allot and buy out peoples opinions through sponsorship but that does not equal "liquid engineering" in my books.

Mobil (Money no object)

Valvoline (Great oil for half the cost)

Are my preferences.

I agree with your opinion, I used valvoline SynPower 0W-40 in my VY Commodore and after ~5000km it looked nearly as clean as the day I put it in. I will probably go there again. What viscosity is best for these Klugers? Recommended is 10W-30.

Edited by NimrodAUS

I agree with your opinion, I used valvoline SynPower 0W-40 in my VY Commodore and after ~5000km it looked nearly as clean as the day I put it in. I will probably go there again. What viscosity is best for these Klugers? Recommended is 10W-30.

I don't follow dealer recommendations.

I use 0w-30 in Mobil and in Valvoline use I think its 0w-40 (will check the bottles tomorrow for you if you like).

I base this off seeing dozens of these types of engines apart on these ratings, they sound fine and look even better when you pull them apart, the viscosity far exceeds to manufacturers rating (SG, SF etc) which is what you should be looking at.

In rubbish oils like Castrol and heaven forbid Penrite < (worst garbage made on earth!) you will need to use a higher viscosity to meet the manufactures rating and also retain film wedge at high operating temperatures. The good oil don't have this problem.

Hmm thanks for your input. After spending the last hour on the Mobile 1 Website, and watiching some of there videos and testimonials, I think Im convinced I will go with it. Go the 1Mil Mile BMW. Now the only choice I have is 5W-30 or 0W-40.

• 3 weeks later...

*Mine is but one view*

I have always used Mobil 1 in all my engines (select suitable grade). < Perfect engine wear/long term durability.

Recently in my own Kluger I switched to Valvoline (mainly due to half cost!) 0w-40 (their best synthetic) only $50 a 5lt bottle. It returns the same fuel economy and power, same engine noise up to 10,000km change point, oil comes out clean like the day you first put it in and it did not use one drop from 0km fill.

Castrol I rate as the worst engine oil available, used it for over a decade before switching to Mobil and they were sh7t then and I don't see why they would have got any better in time? they do advertise allot and buy out peoples opinions through sponsorship but that does not equal "liquid engineering" in my books.

Mobil (Money no object)

Valvoline (Great oil for half the cost)

Are my preferences.

I think if your engine oil is coming out as clear as when you put it in, then the oil is not doing its job.

The oil filter picks up the larger carbon deposits and metal shavings (from engine wear) but there are plenty of fine particles that will pass through the filter.

A good oil should act as a carrier of these fine deposits, which should come out when you do your oil change, otherwise it means its still in your engine.

I've religiously changed oil every 5000km in my cars, and I've used a variety of synthetic oils including some very expensive ones. I have never had an oil change that has not come out dark brown or blackish. These are cars that myself or my family have owned since new and have less than 100,000km on the engine.

Also I'm just wondering, whats made you have such a bad opinion about Castrol?

Edited by _kit_

Funny Enough I was speaking to a head mechanic who owns the biggest workshop in town and he uses Castrol Edge. He thinks its pretty good stuff. For anyones information Edge 5w-30 is SM petrol classified which is the highest of any oil on the market. Oil comming out very clean isnt always a bad sign. I only ever ran Full Synthetic valvoline in my VY Commodore since I got it and did a flush first time and it always came out very very clean. I change every 5000km. If you have the good oil and there is no sludge or varnish build up and ur car is running right theres no reason the oil shouldnt come out clean. Well slightly browner then it went in anyway. I have got all the stuff to do the oil change tommorrow, just gunna put castrol Edge 5w-30 in it for now. Wont be too long before it needs another change anyway.

Edited by NimrodAUS

Nimrodaus, I was thinking of trying the Nulon Synthetic in my Kluger after I run it in; I've heard some good things about it and it doesn't seem too expensive.... it also comes in 6L bottles; the Kluger's take over 6L of oil!

Is this the first oil change in your car using full synthetic oil? and how many KM is there on your engine?

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the full synthetic oils (I've used Castrol Edge in the past too); and what determines one is good and not good anyway? our Klugers aren't race cars where every kw counts, and in any case any of the synthetic oils will lubricate better than what the factory puts in which will likely be a mineral or semi synthetic :)

let us know how it goes.