HELP! Sportivo Dyno'd @ 85kw

Hi guys,

I've owned my 03 sportivo for a while now and have always been pleased with it. However Just this week for my birthday my family decided to throw in an Interceptor piggyback, exhaust and cold intake fitted for me (awesome!) However I just got the car back today and the dyno printout shows my car was only pulling 85kw Before the mods (its now running 110kw after the install).

I was hoping you guys could fill me in on why my base power is so low. Ive scanned the forums and read up on the ECU issue and think that this may be the culprit. My question is will Toyota still honour the recall if it hasnt been done now that the car is modified and if they wont is there anythng I can do to fix the issue?

Also if the recall was done correctly and I am running the correct ECU is there anythng else that could be giving my such a low base power??

And finally IF the issue is the stock ECU and I get it fixed will I need to spend another $1500 for a new Interceptor piggyback? Or will the one I have fitted now still work and Ill just have to get it re-mapped?

I was hoping to get 150kw ATW from the ECU and full exhaust etc etc to only just get 110kw ATW (which is really basically stock) after spending 3k+ is just heart breaking.

Thanks

Edited by Jtyrrell

The recall has to be honoured regardless of the mods; it's a legal issue hence the need for the recall. You can check for it by looking for a little silver sticker with chevron-ning around it for a boarder. But they didn't always put the sticker on when they did the work. Also look for a white plastic single fin in the factory airbox. The mesh is the incorrect one (for the 2zz only, normal for a 1zz)

If the recall has already been done, try resetting the ECU and running high quality 98.

A 25 kW gain is good, so no need to be disheartened.

There are a lot of factors that could contribute to the low power... e.g.

What fuel were you running?

Was the ECU reset before the dyno?

Has the car been maintained well all its life?

Does it have quality oil/other fluids in it?

Was your air filter clean, MAF sensor?

What was the temp/atmo pressure/etc?

Was the dyno calibrated properly?

Was the dyno in shootout mode when the first reading was done?

There are just some things that could contribute to it...

I must have missed the bit mentioning the piggyback, which one is it?

Running a haltech interceptor piggy back I'm gonna call Toyota today but before I get them to fix the problem I want to make sure I won't need a new piggyback otherwise I just blew 2k

I must have missed the bit mentioning the piggyback, which one is it?

Running a haltech interceptor piggy back I'm gonna call Toyota today but before I get them to fix the problem I want to make sure I won't need a new piggyback otherwise I just blew 2k

I doubt anything internal would have been touched. It'll all be on the wiring loom, which will unplug from the ECU anyway. 'CHA54' will know more abotu the Haltech than I will and any tuning issues associated with piggybacks.

Seems the ECU was definately replaced is there anything else that could be affecting performance would resetting the ECU help? And would it affect the chip??

Sorry to be a pain guys just a steep learning curve the last few days

running low quality fuel, dirty filters, thick oil etc etc will all reduce the power. Full service, 98 octane fuel and an ECU reset to re-learn the ignition advance and fuel trims would probably have the same effect as your 2K outlay.

Piggybacks aren't great with ZZE's, probably good for about 4kw at best before the toyota knock control kicks in.

running low quality fuel, dirty filters, thick oil etc etc will all reduce the power. Full service, 98 octane fuel and an ECU reset to re-learn the ignition advance and fuel trims would probably have the same effect as your 2K outlay.

Piggybacks aren't great with ZZE's, probably good for about 4kw at best before the toyota knock control kicks in.

Ouch! Well it's due for a full service I'll get everything checked and cleaned and re-set the ecu and see how it goes. What is fuel trim? Is that like adjusting air/fuel ratio? And I always run 98 octane

Edited by Jtyrrell

Very interested...the 2zz i bought for my ascent had a unichip...by the looks of things around here they really dont do much...:( will check the ecu to see if its been replaced tho...

The 2zz ECU is contunially adjusting it's fuel trims to achieve it's programmed air fuel ratio, that's why people complain about the stock ECU learning around their piggybacks. You can check the amount of "learning" it has done by reviewing the long term and short term fuel trims with a scan tool.... eg, if your tuner has leaned out the top end to try and make some power, you will probably see max'd out positive fuel trims in the scanner. Once the fuel trims hit their max level, the ECU will do other things to protect the engine like altering the ignition advance if the trims had no effect.

The ignition advanced is also a closed loop system operating on knock feedback, ignition advance is where you make real power gains with a 2zz and it's also the item that's most likely to cause detonation and break a ring-land on the piston.

i would not be hoping much more than 120fwkw!

from your base power of 85-110 which equals 25kw gain. that is a very decent gain! would be very happy with that! you will get no where near 150kw at the wheels without some help of induction most likely.

downside is your base power.

how's your car feel? feel good? notice the difference in power?

it may be just a low reading from the dyno

Edited by hAmZ

What sort of dyno was it?? My car before the ECU recall made 96kw atw. Added CES cat back and it jumped to 105kw. Added the ECU recall and it jumped to 114.8kw. Then i added Headers and CAI and it made 123kw.

In between all these things being done I did some dyno testing before and after an oil change. Oil and filter change only. Difference was just on 3kw. Once the oil gets dirty on a 2zz it does suffer a lil in the performance stakes.

If you're really worried about being low on power and think you should have more..perhaps it's best you perform a compression test (wet and dry) and a leakdown test to determine the health of the internals. Low compression from dodgy rings will rob you of power and it could be the case but i hope it isn't.

Honestly though, 110ish fwkw from a 1.8L, you should be happy. It's getting up there in terms of the hp/displacement ratio for n/a and this is on a newish car (post 2000) where emissions control reduced power for alot of engines (harder for manufacturers to make good power from a given displacement whilst meeting emissions standards etc).

Can also come down to which dyno you were at, your tire pressures, weather on the day.. so many variables.