Advise in managing march 2005 Toyota Camry with 1MZFE

K8Canb

I was in a process of replacing my aging Toyota Camry Vienta V6 April 1995 which has clocked 215000 kms, but still going strong.

Today, I went into Pickles auction in Canberra and saw Aurion and Camry 4 cyl cars (I have been a Toyota man all the time. I was dreaming of buying Aurion Sportivo, however, I was intimidated by the height of the cars and visibility of the front, I thought that I will bruise bumpers or even doors while parking these cars. I am now approaching 70 years and my reflexes have slowed also I get scarfed to park in car parks (particularly at clubs, also self maintaining old Camry is always easy compared to Aurion or new Camry 4 Cyl. I decided to stick to Camry V6 and bought in auction a Toyota Camry march 2005 with 1MZFe motor. The car has done 97K and is in good condition.

As I am new to 1MZFE, I seek some advice on dos and don'ts to 1MZFE. Also I have heard that this motor had sludge problems. May be there were some other problems which may have been ironed out by now.

Please educate me about 2005 Camry with 1MZFE. Also where can I download workshop manual for 1MZFE?

K8Canb

If you are getting a bit older, my advice would be getting a smaller car like a Corolla(if it fits your needs), for easy of parking etc. My Pop went front a big Falcon to a V6 Vienta similar to mine. He loves it too.

However the 1MZ is a very relaible engine, as long as there is an oil flush put through during services then all should be fine, especially with only 97000km. Try ebay for the workshop manual, try and get a comprehensive one like a Haynes or Gregory's, trust me they are worth it.

Edited by trentmeyer23

The 3vzfe in your old vienta and the 1mzfe motors are fairly similar in design to each other so if your used to servicing your old car it shouldn't be much different.....I'd just check to see if the major 100,000kms service has been done yet, otherwise expect it to be a fairly expensive service. As long as it's serviced properly (like any car) you shouldn't expect too many problems from the 05 camry

The 3vzfe in your old vienta and the 1mzfe motors are fairly similar in design to each other so if your used to servicing your old car it shouldn't be much different.....I'd just check to see if the major 100,000kms service has been done yet, otherwise expect it to be a fairly expensive service. As long as it's serviced properly (like any car) you shouldn't expect too many problems from the 05 camry

Thanks for the reply, did you mean a major service at 100000 kms for 3VZFE require change of timing belt, pulley, few oil seals, water pump, spark plugs etc etc. However, for 1MZFE I was told that the timing belt needs to be changed at 150000 kms. I am not sure about spark plugs though.

I am going to collect my car tomorrow from Pickles and then read the owners/service manual which should tell me more.

I never used synthetic oil in my 3VZFE, if it is fine to use on 1MZFE I would like to use.

Thanks again for your reply.

K8Canb

Yeah I forgot that the major service for the 1mz is 150kms. I started using synthetic when I bought my 96 vienta @113kms with no problems so I'd say you would be fine to use synthetic, just make sure you get the right viscosity (a lot of synthetics are too thin viscosity wise for this engine) I've been using nulon 10w40 fully synthetic without problems on mine, seems to be a pretty good oil. I'd also maybe run a tank or so of premium fuel and some injector cleaner just to be on the safe side.

A good quality semi-synthetic blend will be sufficient with the 1mz-fe, something like the Penrite HPR series works pretty good (I use it on my Dads 1mz-fe which has done ~155000km). I however use Mobil 1 5-50w full synthetic in my 1mz.

Spark plugs should have been changed @ the 90000km mark so if that car has been serviced at the right intervals you should not need to change the plugs. If you do, you will need to remove the inlet manifold in order to do so (probably best to buy a manifold gasket and replace it while you do the change).

Things to note:

- Word is the alternator on the 36 series have a habit of dying young, my one died @ 93000km and cost ~$550 to replace as apparently a non-oem one won't fit.

- Don't push the brakes too hard, I warped mine on my first Mt Nebo run

- Rear left shock leaked around the 93000km mark and had to be replaced

A good quality semi-synthetic blend will be sufficient with the 1mz-fe, something like the Penrite HPR series works pretty good (I use it on my Dads 1mz-fe which has done ~155000km). I however use Mobil 1 5-50w full synthetic in my 1mz.

Spark plugs should have been changed @ the 90000km mark so if that car has been serviced at the right intervals you should not need to change the plugs. If you do, you will need to remove the inlet manifold in order to do so (probably best to buy a manifold gasket and replace it while you do the change).

Things to note:

- Word is the alternator on the 36 series have a habit of dying young, my one died @ 93000km and cost ~$550 to replace as apparently a non-oem one won't fit.

- Don't push the brakes too hard, I warped mine on my first Mt Nebo run

- Rear left shock leaked around the 93000km mark and had to be replaced

Thanks for the reply and I have noted the points.

The two engines (3VZFE and 1MZFE) look similar from out side, except 1MZFE has knock sensor for each cylinder. In some 3VZFEs the diffrfential has its own drain and filler ports and others just share oil from the autotransmission. I am unable to figure out about 1MZFE, it would be nice if someone could educate me on this.

I have started liking 1MZFE as it has more torque and drives smoother.

Thanks again for the reply.

K8Canb

• 2 weeks later...

If you are getting a bit older, my advice would be getting a smaller car like a Corolla(if it fits your needs), for easy of parking etc. My Pop went front a big Falcon to a V6 Vienta similar to mine. He loves it too.

However the 1MZ is a very relaible engine, as long as there is an oil flush put through during services then all should be fine, especially with only 97000km. Try ebay for the workshop manual, try and get a comprehensive one like a Haynes or Gregory's, trust me they are worth it.

I did consider Corolla, but it has a small motor and the boot space of sedfan is also small compared to Camry. I felt that corolla is not rommy for my physical size.

Sorry for the late reply as sometimes my memory has started failing :)