1MZ/FE V6 1999 Camry power steering pump

peregrine

Hi, has anyone had problems with leaking power steering pumps? My car is an early 1999 Vienta V6 and the power steering pump has been replaced twice with reconditioned units, prior to my ownership.Replacments in 2008, July 2009 and is leaking again. The reconditioned units cost between $250 to $290 but are they any good? new pumps range in price from $940+ for pumps from Toyota Japan prior to early 1999 models, to $450+ for Ausy built pumps from early 1999 onward. I presume they are interchangeable? It could be that the previous owner had a habit of holding the steering on full lock for extended periods which could be one reason the previous pumps failed. Any help in regards to the best way to go would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by peregrine

I've got a 2001 Camry with just such a leak, but more of a nuisance than a bother. What I've done is put a mark on the fluid tank and watch for a significant drop in level...At some stage, yes it will have to be attended to but it still works fine.

I had a leaking steering pump in my 1999 Camry replaced around the 155,000km mark. Toyota quoted me $800 to overhaul the pump, therefore I opted for an independent mechanic who fitted a reconditioned OEM pump for under $400. So far, two years and 50,000km later, there are no issues with the overhauled pump.

I also had my steering rack replaced as one of the rubber boots was seeping slightly. A reconditioned rack along with all the labour and a wheel alignment cost me about $450.

I had a leaking steering pump in my 1999 Camry replaced around the 155,000km mark. Toyota quoted me $800 to overhaul the pump, therefore I opted for an independent mechanic who fitted a reconditioned OEM pump for under $400. So far, two years and 50,000km later, there are no issues with the overhauled pump.

I also had my steering rack replaced as one of the rubber boots was seeping slightly. A reconditioned rack along with all the labour and a wheel alignment cost me about $450.

Thanks Topdog and JMacca53 for your helpful replies. By the way I read somewhere the rubber boots could be purchased in two halves and attached over without having to pull anything apart. I think I got that right!! :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Topdog and JMacca53 for your helpful replies. By the way I read somewhere the rubber boots could be purchased in two halves and attached over without having to pull anything apart. I think I got that right!! :rolleyes:

I think you will find the split boots are for the CV Joints only. See website: http://www.toyota.com.au/parts-and-service/parts/split-boot-kit