i just want to know if anyone has had any situations with toyota spare parts where you've been charged an absolute fortune for something worth nothing...

I am in the process of putting a new stereo into my car. I pulled my head unit out last night (following the great instructions on this site), and using a pocket i had already bought, tried to fit my new head unit in below my pocket... the problem is, the stock toyota stereo is about 1cm wider than a normal head unit, so i needed to buy some plastic spacers to go either side...

THEY COST $17 FOR EACH SIDE!!! the pieces of plastic are probably worth about 50c, if that... and they are charging an absolute fortune. i called them to ask if they had it, assuming that the pocket and the side bits would be a single piece, but they werent, and now im stuck with 2 pockets and spacers, which is going to cost be something like 85 bucks... im 17 and i hardly earn any money....

has anyone else needed a part for their toyota and been charged way more than its worth?

post here and let me know.

Yeah it is amazing how much they try to rip you off by. I was charged $15 each for my side butterflys... but what can you do? I don't think you can buy them from anywhere else. A monopoly kinda business i guess...

I was charged $600, not $599... $600! for an alarm upgrade on my car... which they took my car in overnight too see why it didn't work the first day. Did it fit? Nope... apparently they're only for the ascent models, which i find totally rediculous. I rang up another dealer straight after and they quoted me $190 for the alarm alone and $120 to fit it.

But with Toyota charging you two pieces for $17 ain't too bad. I remember reading some other person one this forum was offered to trade in his stock headunit for the two pieces of 50cent plastics. NOW THATS FUNNY! hahahahahahaaaaaaa :D :D :D

Hey Blue -

You've opened a massive can of worms here dude. I am sure that myself and almost anybody on this forum, can relate and provide examples...

Here's some of my Toyota Pricing Stupidities....

Black Toyota badge from rear of Camry Sportivo - $4.00 (yes thats four dollars)

Chrome coloured Toyota Badge from any other Toyota - $25.00

You think that's bad... those plastic spacers in your centre compartment that are supposed to act as dividers/cupholders? They cost around $50 each.... and I need two....

hahaha jeeee that's terrible :lol: Since they are the only ones that sell stock it, they can sell it whatever price they want to. Ring around a few other dealers, you'll be surpised as to how much they differ in prices around different dealers ;) ;) ;)

You think that's bad... those plastic spacers in your centre compartment that are supposed to act as dividers/cupholders? They cost around $50 each.... and I need two....

hahaha jeeee that's terrible :lol: Since they are the only ones that sell stock it, they can sell it whatever price they want to. Ring around a few other dealers, you'll be surpised as to how much they differ in prices around different dealers ;) ;) ;)

Ha ha... yeah it's funny... I was at the motor show earlier this year, and they had a couple of corollas on the stand, and you don't know how tempted I was just to slip a couple of those spacers in my pocket....

The black badge is made in australia and the chrome one is made in japan... thats why there is a price difference...

Interior trims for my car are cheap as because they come from Aus... My dash Trim was $40, the upper instrument cluster cover was $17, the dash vent trims were $15 and so on...

It all depends on where they come from...

The black badge is made in australia and the chrome one is made in japan... thats why there is a price difference...

Interior trims for my car are cheap as because they come from Aus... My dash Trim was $40, the upper instrument cluster cover was $17, the dash vent trims were $15 and so on...

It all depends on where they come from...

I thought that must be the case...

But what about the actual SPORTIVO badge?

I was under the impression that the Corolla Sportivo Badge was fitted in Australia. Is the actual badge made OS cause they are like $27 each or something. Same price for the black Camry Sportiv badge...

i just want to know if anyone has had any situations with toyota spare parts where you've been charged an absolute fortune for something worth nothing...

has anyone else needed a part for their toyota and been charged way more than its worth?

post here and let me know.

Oil filter $17.60 !!! :unsure:

Air Intake Hose (ST162 ) ~$230 <_< :(

Electric Antenna (ST162) ~$200 :(

Thats why Toyota is the worlds most profitable car company !

Hey Blue -

You've opened a massive can of worms here dude.  I am sure that myself and almost anybody on this forum, can relate and provide examples...

Don't get me started on badges! I enquired about the "Corolla" badges from the rear hatch/bootlid/tailgate ... $60 each! <_<

Hey rolla racer, do Northfield get their stereo plastic bits from Toyota, or do they have an aftermarket supplier? The Rolla's aren't the only Toyotas with that shape/size head unit (new Echo, Camry, Hiace and Hilux, just to name a few), so maybe there's a bigger market for the plastic bits?

Edited by Buddha

• 10 months later...

That's said. I'm lucky that my boss is the head a/v and stereo installer for the region here. He'd do it all for me at cost price. For those that don't have that luxury though, I feel really bad :(

the spacers on the side of the head deck either wise known as butterflies can be sourced from most audio places,, jb hi fi will get them for you and you wont pay $17 each.. i recall walking in and out with them in my hand for the measily sum of 0.00

the spacers on the side of the head deck either wise known as butterflies can be sourced from most audio places,, jb hi fi will get them for you and you wont pay $17 each.. i recall walking in and out with them in my hand for the measily sum of 0.00

Yeah JB hifi did all my sound installation and they got the spacers for me for free!

Tom go to jb hifi in castle hill home maker centre!!

lol dammit...

the guy at the parts centre also said you should keep your stock head unit cos they charge like 1500-2000 bucks... for a STOCK piece of crap head unit...

Last time i heard they cost 7 buck from peter warren hume highway :D those side spacers

hey if anyone wants some of those spacers and the pocket, i have them and im not using them anymore (making my own bezel for my screen)... so if you want them ill sell them to you for $10 for the lot... i cant be bothered making a buy/sell thread, im not that desparate to sell...

The cost of raw materials to make the plastic bit that you need is, of course is only $0.01, everyone knows that.

But try making the part you need YOURSELF and you will realise that you can't do it for $17 a side, or even at all. Obviously you have not taken into account the other fixed and variable costs that Toyota pours into producing that piece of plastic !

Need to suck it up and pay for it mate - BUUUUUT having said that, go to the wrecker and you may find yourself a bargain if you are lucky.