GONNA COST A FORTUNE!!

corolla0305

Hi all,

So i got my custom headunit from Autome on ebay, installed a breeze thanks to all the guides out there....

UNTILLLL..........

Reversing Camera, finally got it working but accidently snipped my wires to the reversing light on the left,

hence only one reversing light was working.

I grabbed some wire and bound it together so i could link it back together and YES! then light comes on and camera is still working!!

Then we go to the shops and as the car is put into reverse the car jolts and im like ooookkkkk then.

On my dash - the lights that indicate PARK, REVERSE, DRIVE etc no longer light up, no indicators work at all when driving and the reversing lights dont come on at all...... ok keep driving to see if my old man can have a look and then on comes the "CHECK VSC SYSTEM" with traction control light up, engine light on and me in a world of wonder....

I stuffed my reversing lights and reconnected them with some wire until my dad could solder them..... i think this has earthed somewhere and stuffed me up??

But when i get to Toyota they couldnt look or loan a car, so i went to the next dealer as they said they had a loan car until a tech can see it tomorrow.

When i get there, the car wont even start at all, just clunk clunk clunk ???

Has this short circuit tripped the computer and caused this failure??

Have i done a starter motor from a short circuit??

Have i just blown a fuse??

Laugh away as i should of waited until my old man could do this for me, but i saw a guide and got some wire taps from jaycar so thought i could do it, hence EPIC FAIL, but id like to know peoples opinions as to why my engine has now failed or as to why the reversing lights and indicators stopped working?

Disconnect your battery

go and disconnect your bodged wiring, insulate the cut wire at both ends (the reverse light will be broken)

then go and check every fuse with a multi meter or test light. I would be willing to bet you have axed half your fuse box.

While doing that, test your battery, if its under ~12v (so say less than 11.8) put it on charge, replace all the fuses then connect it all back up.

Get a crimp wire joiner to fix your broken reversing light wire and try again.

also make sure you check ALL the wiring for your new head unit.

Im pretty sure i have done plenty of fuses.

Ive left it in the hands of Toyota dealer until tomorrow as i got there and couldnt leave, just wanted someone to look at it and well got a loan car now, but coz of the crap wiring ill be looking at a hell of alot of money.

I wanted to come home and look at it, but just clunk clunk clunk.......

MURPHYS LAW, just want some opinions :(

My opinion would be as Mick has said. Chances are, Toyota is now going to charge you a lot for something which may be as simple as a handful of fuses. That said, hopefully it is just fuses blown and nothing more serious. Most of the wiring you have there in your car is protected by fuses so a short shouldn't wreck anything except for those.

In saying that, depending on how unlucky you are, electronics could have been fried in the split seconds before the fuses are blown. Hopefully your wiring didn't apply power to any of the CAN-BUS lines because that would not be friendly at all.

In addition to the fuses, another key area you should check are the fusible links in the engine bay. This is the long blue bar that's in the engine bay fuse box. They usually take a bit of current to blow, but from the sounds of your case, anything could have happened.

I thank you for your time in replying to this matter,

lets hope it is simple enough!!

I checked the fuses in relation to the reversing lights and etc as per the manual and they were not fried so it left me confused.

As the car couldnt start when i got to Toyota thou i had no choice but to leave it there!! :(

Got a quote if the computer has fried of $5K :(

Mate, you should of took it to a sparky (auto electrician),not to bloody Toyota;;No offence toyota,but then again what in gods name are you cutting and hacking ya wireing.Ive always said if ya not gunna do a proper and professional job give it to someone who will,looks like your new wireless just might of cost you $5000--ouch :o Are you sure you have checked all your fuses even the ones BEHIND the glovebox

Turns out after my service on Tuesday that someone had moved a fuse into the wrong spot under the hood hence the indicators wouldnt work due to the wrong voltage but somehow caused my battery to drain, costing me $280 for labor, battery and a loan car for a day, not one thing wrong with my wiring or the head unit itself!!

Got the car home, found the problem and new battery is keeping charge.

Sounds like someone has some explaining to do at Toyota when they serviced my car......

I never touched any fuses under the hood before this happened, not realizing until dad said its related to #8 fuse location, which had been moved up into what should of been an empty slot :S

Sounds like plain excuses to me which they used to justify their costs.

Because of the design of the fuse panel, you can't insert a fuse the wrong way and there is no place on it that would cause your battery to drain without reason.

Just my opinion.

They werent put in the wrong way at all, but were in different locations as to where they were meant to be ..... no idea how this occured but all is working now.

Autome head unit back in WITH reversing camera and no faults ...... im confused to the max!!!!

All i know it my car is working now :) no VSC warnings or anything .....

Sooooo on another note, where can i order a vip1 style grill aka thai camry grill from ??????

Like Daryl's already said - there's not chance a fuse "in the wrong place" can drain your battery. The only difference between fuses are their ratings - using the wrong rated fuse is either only going to result in the fuse blowing (if you use a lower rated fuse), or removing that safety barrier that the fuse gives and risking a fire or melted wiring (by using a higher rated fuse).

However I will throw you a bone, if perchance a relay was stuffed (stuck on for example) then yes it could cause extra drain on the battery.

I think you should take whatever you've been told with a grain of salt