08 ZR6

Joseph

Hi every one - names joe or you can call me "Merlot" cause thats all I ever drink!!

Im probably a little older than most of you here (will be 60 soon) but ive been a rev head since the day I first got my license at 17, I had a very hot FC Holden back then, god I loved that car!! lowered, twin 97 Strombergs, chromed extractors, Michelin tyres, got the picture, finally worked my way up to a 72 XY Shaker, vermillion fire, every time I started that beast it put a smile on my face :o)

Last year I hired a Toyota Aurion Sportivo, never heard of a Sportivo up until then, boy was I impressed, I would even go to say it was quicker than my old Shaker, and that had 351 cubic inches under that bonnet, so lets cut to the chase shall we, two days ago I bought an 08 Aurion Sportivo ZR6, paid $31700 for it (I live in WA), has 40000 on the clock and is still under a new car warranty, I took out an extra 3 year warranty just for good measure. I checked out the net to see what there was on the ZR6 and came across the Toyota Owners Club, Ive been reading all sorts of tec info and am very impressed, so I joined the Club, so that makes me a newbie I guess.

The ZR6 is unknown territory for me, Im not a stranger to mussel cars or big bikes, (Im a biker an ride a Harley Fatboy, motors worked or course!!) but I dont know a lot about this car, hence being here, I would like to improve the handling if possible, and reading some of the articles it looks like you can, the ZR6 has stock wheels, boy are they ever stock!! so what the choice guys, wheels/tyres. I always think a car in stock wheels is like a good looking woman in a sexy dress wearing jim boots instead of bright red high heels!!! That in turn leads to breathing, intake and exhaust, Ill leave it there for now, I pick up the ZR6 on the 9th of September and will be driving it home, some 1500 k's north of Perth, reacon by the time I get home we should have got to know each other, some very fast stretches of road on the way home.

I look forward to reading your helpful ideas, and will post some pics as soon as I get the ZR6 home.

Keep ya feet in the wind and a smile on ya face.

Cheers

Merlot

Welcome and grats on your buy! I know exactly how you feel, having just bought a Sportivo recently too :lol:

What colour is it?

How awesome does the speedo & tacho look at night! ;)

The color is Tungsten, I havent got it as yet, I pick it up on the 9th Sept, what wheels are you going for?? I think the Toyota wheels are very boring!!

Cheers

Merlot

Ye the pre-facelift rims do look dull. However the rims on the facelift models look much nicer, and I'm content with them for the time being. Will most likely look to upgrade to 19" when my current set of tyres go bald, which may be ages away (or very quickly :lol: ).

Ye the pre-facelift rims do look dull. However the rims on the facelift models look much nicer, and I'm content with them for the time being. Will most likely look to upgrade to 19" when my current set of tyres go bald, which may be ages away (or very quickly :lol: ).

You lost me with the pre-facelift and facelift mate, I suppose they are the stock rims that come with the car? I was wondering if going for 20" rims would give you a harder ride seeing that you will have to go for a smaller profile tyre, Im in the country and will cover long distances at times, roads are good though, still, Im thinking 18" or 19" with a bit more depth in the tyre to soften out some of the bumps and cattle grids up this way.

I've had the darkest street legal tint, plus Defense Pack paint protection put on the car, should look really good, I would like to get wheels before I head back home but I'll wait until I need tyres, by then I will know which wheels and tyres to get, with a little help from the other Aurion owners!!

I look forward to seeing how your SX6 is coming along.

Cheers

Merlot

Ye the pre-facelift rims do look dull. However the rims on the facelift models look much nicer...

I personally think the opposite. In my opinion, the design of the facelift rims make them 'appear' slightly smaller than the pre-facelift ones.

... and the pre-facelift rims are WAY easier to clean :lol:

Ye the pre-facelift rims do look dull. However the rims on the facelift models look much nicer...

I personally think the opposite. In my opinion, the design of the facelift rims make them 'appear' slightly smaller than the pre-facelift ones.

... and the pre-facelift rims are WAY easier to clean :lol:

DJKOR I see you have the pre-face on your car, so are you saying you would prefer to have the facelift rims? I can see you point re cleaning, but your car looks great with the pre-face rims mate, in my option at least. Thanks for your imput.

I just took out insurance on the 08 ZR6 and the market value was $29350, I paid $28890.45 + $2889.50 GST, dont you just love GST!! Whats your option on the price I paid? did I pay too much?

Cheers

Merlot

DJKOR I see you have the pre-face on your car, so are you saying you would prefer to have the facelift rims? I can see you point re cleaning, but your car looks great with the pre-face rims mate, in my option at least. Thanks for your imput.

When I had my 07 SX6, I loved the wheels that it had... hence my cleaning comment. Later down the line I bought some Kappa rims and I soon learnt just how easy it really was to clean the stock wheels. Anyways, all the details on that car can be found in my original thread:

DJKOR's Aurion

I just took out insurance on the 08 ZR6 and the market value was $29350, I paid $28890.45 + $2889.50 GST, dont you just love GST!! Whats your option on the price I paid? did I pay too much?

It's hard to comment without seeing the car in person, but even though the market value is showing less than what you paid for it, it doesn't necessarily mean you payed too much. It all comes down to how good of a condition the car is in. Sometimes though, you just have to be in the right place at the right time to get an absolute bargain.

congrats on your buy joe. regarding tyre sizes, i would think its best to go for 18" or 19" as i personally think the 20" will be too big on the aurion. hope you enjoy driving your aurion around.