turbo or super charged V6 rav

robie

ive been seriously concidering selling both my cars to purchase a V6 rav but although 200kw is alot. more then 200 would be better

id like it to have about 200kw per ton maybe

if that sounds like a big ask from the 2gr maybe 200kw at the treads opposed to the fly

• 2 weeks later...

You can't turbo the 2GR-FE engine. It was never designed to be turboed in the first place. You can't supercharge the RAV4 V6 because: 1. there is minimal to no space in the engine bay and 2. you need to change the ECU which is currently impossible.

You are stuck with what is given.

You can't turbo the 2GR-FE engine. It was never designed to be turboed in the first place. You can't supercharge the RAV4 V6 because: 1. there is minimal to no space in the engine bay and 2. you need to change the ECU which is currently impossible.

You are stuck with what is given.

anything is possible given enough money.

You can turbocharge/supercharge any motor provided you make it strong enough to handle forced induction.

E.g forged and low compression pistons, forged conrods, etc.

That said, all of this is very expensive.

You can't turbo the 2GR-FE engine...

Ahem.... Try telling that to this guy:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347378

DSCN2272.jpg

DSCN2273.jpg

Or the guys over at Cobb Tuning:

camryengine1.jpg

Bugger me that Cobbtuning kit looks the goods! Even get to keep the battery up front which is a nice bonus.

Bugger me that Cobbtuning kit looks the goods! Even get to keep the battery up front which is a nice bonus.

Judging from the way the intake pipe goes, the turbo would probably be mounted in the only other place I would imagine. Low mounted near the rear bank.

So you buy a supercharged 2gr-fe and then you throw away the supercharger to put in a turbo :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Also the first car is illegal in Australia due to emission level regulation.

2nd problem is in the rav4 v6 engine bay. There is no room to put in a turbo or supercharger. The only possible way is to put the turbo is under the engine somewhere.

Seriously if i was to spend $60k on the car and then spend $13k more to supercharge it i would just get myself a FPV GT V8 and aftermarket supercharge that for the same cost.

Edited by Hamster

So you buy a supercharged 2gr-fe and then you throw away the supercharger to put in a turbo :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

2nd problem is in the rav4 v6 engine bay. There is no room to put in a turbo or supercharger. The only possible way is to put the turbo is under the engine somewhere.

Seriously if i was to spend $60k on the car and then spend $13k more to supercharge it i would just get myself a FPV GT V8 and aftermarket supercharge that for the same cost.

I don't think that first car was originally supercharged... It's just using the supercharged engine cover (do they even have the supercharged camry in the states?!)

Further even if it was, a custom turbo setup offers more than what can be achieved in the factory supercharged setup (ie intercooler, more efficient, boost adjustable etc).

Emissions can always be fixed. Some people just don't care too.

Can't comment on the rav4 engine bay, but I reckon if you can shove a 6L v8 into a small hatchback then you can certainly supercharge or turbo a rav4

Actually, Steven is right. If you had read before making assumptions, you would find that it is just the engine cover from a TRD.

As well, like Steven said, the emissions issue can be fixed if you put the effort into it.

Fair enough, but this doesn't make your first statement any more true (where you said "You can't turbo the 2GR-FE engine").

If someone wants to modify their car and spend ridiculous amounts of money on doing so... then so be it. Where there is a will, there is a way, and I doubt space will be an issue for someone keep to fit a turbo on a Rav4.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i like the photos of the turbo 2grfe and im not wanting crazy power hikes basically similar output as the trd aurion so engine internals will be fine left standard as they are in the aurion (hope this doesnt start another heated discusion)

i was more curious as in the ecu part cost and some photos of a super/turbocharged rav i know the trd supercarger off the trd aurion will fit theres actually more room in front of the engine to run a seperate charger belt on a rav compared to an aurion but supercargers are more expensive and harder to increase boost pressure then a turbo and i also know a to find a writen of trd aurion and pinch the ecu and engine wont work as the ecu has transmission control as well and rav is 5speed were as aurion is 6 so piggy back or complete ecu will more then likely be required

any way guys once again great pics and thanks for a little insight

So you buy a supercharged 2gr-fe and then you throw away the supercharger to put in a turbo wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

60k i can get a brand spanker cv6 for under 40k drive away and im not one for fancy things just fast things so the cv6 is fine

ive engine space is an issue then nothing wrong with running a rear mounted turbo wink.gif

http://www.ststurbo.com/

ive seen something like that on a monaro (pontiac gto) in the states on a show they mounted the tubo behind the rear wheel and because of the distance the charged air had to trave from the turbo they didnt need intercooling of any discription but they used a small turbo as the exhaust gases had to travel so far before reaching the turbo but they still achieved a decent output

• 1 year later...

Wow... nice to see early pics of my car! Actually, the Turbo is cheaper than the Supercharger, and the boost is better. my kit was custom with all top of the line things, put in... Garrett T3/4, Tial MVR44 Watercooled Wastegate, Mishimoto Intercooler and Oil Catch Can, and custom welded piping and an AEM FI6 ECU. All pipes were "Jet Coated" meaning pipes needed no blankets for heat, it is the same coating used in jet engines for heat. total price... $6000.00 installed!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2555955/2007-toyota-camry

It is the only Boosted V6 Camry on the road in the US... I can say... Front wheel drive is better than rear wheel! AWD takes it all! RAV4 V6 here in the States is AWD option. I would love to get a hold of that! Im willng to share if anyone wants to try it over there!

So is this still in the "too hard basket" i have been investing a fair bit of my free time investigating if i can get the TRD SC into my 2008 Rav4 SX6.

Bullet cars are entertaining the idea, they seem the only one right now as they have alot of knowledge around the TRD Aurion.

I have a parts list from Toyota as they have a warehouse full of TRD parts in Melbourne and have a few contacts to get whatever i need to make this work, all it will take is time and money.