Engine Noise

Ade123

I recently purchased a 2009 ATX Aurion (3.5L SemiAuto) from a Toyota dealer, the vehicle has covered 70k since new. I have recently noticed a ticking noise (barely audible but definitely there!)on startup from cold. After a couple of KM's when the engine has warmed up, the noise disappears. Apart from that, the engine is fine - no oil loss or leaks / rough driving etc. The only change I have made prior to the noise being noticed is that for the past couple of weeks, I have filled the car with E10, the handbook advises this is ok to use. The noise is not sufficient (at the moment)to take it to a garage/dealer to have a look at but these kind of noises tend to get worse not better! Any advice appreciated.

No need for worry, I had the same reaction with my car at first.

It is simply the engine adjusting the timing based on the fuel and heat. This is completely normal.

My suggestion is not to use E10 in your car as my experience with E10 is that the 2GR-FE is much less efficient meaning you get less Ks per tank and it makes the car sluggish.

Edited by Hidden Taco (HT)

The Aurion makes all kinds of ticking noises. The one you describe is nothing to worry about.

There is also another one (not sure if you are referring to this one in the first place), but if you start the engine from cold and the revs go high (like above 1500RPM), pay close attention to the tacho. You will notice the needle dropping in fine increments over the next 30 seconds or so (usually about one needle width every few seconds), and on each drop of the needle, you will notice a tick sound.

No need for worry, I had the same reaction with my car at first.

It is simply the engine adjusting the timing based on the fuel and heat. This is completely normal.

My suggestion is not to use E10 in your car as my experience with E10 is that the 2GR-FE is much less efficient meaning you get less Ks per tank and it makes the car sluggish.

2nd this...

Here is one source for this kind of normal noise:

imagetvk.jpg

These are the solenoid valves that control VVT-i and can be easily found under the engine cover (2 per cylinder head on the drivers/right side).