2005 V6 Camry surging between 1500 and 1800 rpm

topari

I have a 2005 model V6 Camry. The car has this intermittent surging problem always between 1500 and 1800 rpm. The fuel filter has been checked and cleaned many times by a mechanic. The electronics show no fault having been checked by Toyota and non-toyota mechanics. Yet some days I have no problems then at other days the surging is so bad I have to accelerate outside the problem 1500-1800 range.

Other: engine serviced. sparkplugs replaces. Car has travelled 98,000 km and this is a new problem. Electronic look fine.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Sounds like it could be fuel related, ahh try a using a concentrated blend of the fuel system cleaner with injector cleaner on a full tank of petrol. If that doesnt work it could be fuel pump, but I'm just throwing around ideas here. The injector stuff is only around $15 so its worth a try.

What kind of petrol do you use? (please dont say E10)

I also suspect it's fuel supply related. I have tried many different types of petrol, but now just use normal unleaded. I've given up dealing with toyota dealers. Too corporate and expensive for me. My local mechanic is very patient and affordable. I might just guess away and buy a new fuel pump and regulator. Seen some from overseas suppliers for around US$200. Sounding a bit desperate, but love the car.

All these problems with Camrys are freaking me out. I might just return to the Mazda family next time...

'all these'? You're on a Toyota specific forum, in the Camry section. Of course you are going to have more exposure to people asking help for issues on their car.

It's a touch silly to say that suddenly there are 'all these' problems with Camrys. I wonder how many people bother signing up just to make a thread like "OMG my Camry is the best, it's flawless"??

All these problems with Camrys are freaking me out. I might just return to the Mazda family next time...

I wonder how many people bother signing up just to make a thread like "OMG my Camry is the best, it's flawless"??

I was just about to say that......

FYI Everyone else :) OMG my Camry is the best, it's flawless

• 6 months later...

The surging problem was traced to a faulty egr sensor. The egr provides data to the EMC. Toyota trained techs could not find the fault. Took a local mechanic to figure it out. Interesting the computer reading came up clear...no fault...yet the egr was faulty. Disappointed with Toyota franchise dealer that a serviceable item could not be detected by their processes and procedure, but a local mechanic with his head screwed on properly figured it out. The car is just perfect now. Wife has never been happier.

Edited by topari