ZRE wheel wobble

dutchie101

Hey'all,

Ok heres the deal. Lowered the ZRE with pedders coilovers. All seemed good enough.

The went back in for check up, 7mm more rear drop and install endless pads and rear C-one chassis brace.

The problem.

After this i noticed considerable left pull torque steer.

Major issue is passenger front wheel wobble from around 20-35 or 40kpm, it goes away after around 50kpm. Far more severe when passenger present.

Went back told Pedders the deal.

They said the changed nothing except the pads, installed the rear bar and dropped the rear 7mm. I suggested sticky caliper. They dont think so.

They re aligned it, I wasnt happy, tried another alignment, no go again. Checked that everything was tightened. They then say the front drive shaft angle may be too far out as it has been lowered so much. I think it may be the case, so we raise the front 10mm to see. No different. Im not sure if they actually took the calipers off to check the wear. I cant see how within 4 or 5 hours and putting pads in this can happen.

Eventually get a good alignment im happy with the feel. Well hursed pedders guy (15 years on the job and seems pretty cluey) thinks the wobble is gone. It isnt. Every passenger i have in the car can feel it the wobble is far worse with passengers. Driving by myself it is still there but ever so slight.

PS, im very very sensitive to my car, as the Pedders guys found out.

So could the drive shaft/joint be screwed already with only 14,000k on the clock? Could it be something else? WTF?!!

Ps, also, the increase in torque steer in FF with larger rims is due to the shift of the scrub radius point. Generally when the car is initial designed with the correct OEM size wheels, the geometry of the weight coming down on the car is centred in the moddle of the wheel. As we increase the offset, this shifts the point of contact and the decreased offset acts almost like a lever, initiating more torque steer.

Although torque steer was always lightly increased with the addition of the Works, something changed. If you install adjustable camber tops, dial in top camber, then use camber pins lower down to dial out that added camber, you can in effect, change the SR.

Also, the caster of the OEM setup will cause left pulling torque steer from the factory. Im looking for some offset caster bushes to dial this out 2 degrees out... Let you know what i find.

See here

Here

and here

File:Lenkrollradius.jpg

ok AC i dunno wth is wrong wif ur car if u just painted ur rims.... and u feel like ur car is going offroad? did u put the rims back on the hub properly....

anyways back to the actually topic :)

hmm how low is ur car now dutchie? bcos i had my car dumped til credit card gap just for a shoot and with my offset bound to scrub but thats not that point... the thing is i never did get the torque steer... even wen i was that low on my xd9s...

i personally would go around checking the bolts... on the strut... i dunno how pedders installed ur coilovers... bcos i did mine myself and it seemed to be pretty straight forward...

not sure if its related but ever since i painted my rims car feels like its off road even though road is smooth, worse if theres a passenger in teh front

Sounds like a balance issue Will...you should get all 4 wheels balanced because even a thin layer of paint can put a wheel out of whack.

and Duthchie it definatley sounds like the issue is with Pedders and what they have done,as it was working fine before the latest install...hope you or Pedders find the problem soon,if not maybe bite the bullet and see what Toyota say.

Good luck mate :)

Ask them if they had adjusted your steering wheel alignment. I'm saying it, because my car was also pulling to the left upon acceleration up until 80kms and then it disappears.

As for the low speed wobble:

Tyre pressures? Check the tread of the tyre that wobbles, might be a pebble, nail or some other foreign object wedged in it.

Is the wheel correctly aligned to the hub and nuts tightened in a star pattern?

Was the new brake pads correctly bedded in with your existing rotors?

Was the brakes bled to get rid of any air bubbles in the brake lines?

Thanks guys,

to answer a few questions:

pete when u say wobble (bounces) is it usually in the morning when its the sus is at its coldest ?

Cant say i have noticed more wobble when cold, but i will take note and let you know.

hmm how low is ur car now dutchie? bcos i had my car dumped til credit card gap just for a shoot and with my offset bound to scrub but thats not that point... the thing is i never did get the torque steer... even wen i was that low on my xd9s...

Not credit cad gap, but close. I didnt have any wobble issue before the pad swap...i did have slight torque steer but this seemed to worsen with the pad swap. i still think something else is going on here.. Oh you have adjustable camber tops tho dont you? and you would have had them cranked over to fit those wheels in? thats would affect the SR and reduce the torque steer,so thats why you probably didnt get such bad TS.

Ask them if they had adjusted your steering wheel alignment. I'm saying it, because my car was also pulling to the left upon acceleration up until 80kms and then it disappears.

like i said above, ive had 3 or 4 alignments, but there was no alignment done the day of the wobbles starting, just pads, brace and rear lowering.

tyre pressures?

Will check today but doubt it.

I would bloody hope so.

I bedded them in myself. Did it the correct way. till hot and stinky. This is when i noticed the increase in torque steer initially.

Again Pedders did this, and yes, im sure they bled the line. The wobble isnt upon braking, its actually happening with acceleration.

not sure if its related but ever since i painted my rims car feels like its off road even though road is smooth, worse if theres a passenger in teh front

Sounds like a balance issue Will...you should get all 4 wheels balanced because even a thin layer of paint can put a wheel out of whack.

and Duthchie it definatley sounds like the issue is with Pedders and what they have done,as it was working fine before the latest install...hope you or Pedders find the problem soon,if not maybe bite the bullet and see what Toyota say.

Good luck mate :)

really a thin layer? i use to over spray my R34GTT rims onto the tyres by accident all the time and nothing felt like that :)

Thanks guys,

to answer a few questions:

pete when u say wobble (bounces) is it usually in the morning when its the sus is at its coldest ?

Cant say i have noticed more wobble when cold, but i will take note and let you know.

Not credit cad gap, but close. I didnt have any wobble issue before the pad swap...i did have slight torque steer but this seemed to worsen with the pad swap. i still think something else is going on here.. Oh you have adjustable camber tops tho dont you? and you would have had them cranked over to fit those wheels in? thats would affect the SR and reduce the torque steer,so thats why you probably didnt get such bad TS.

like i said above, ive had 3 or 4 alignments, but there was no alignment done the day of the wobbles starting, just pads, brace and rear lowering.

tyre pressures?

Will check today but doubt it.

I would bloody hope so.

I bedded them in myself. Did it the correct way. till hot and stinky. This is when i noticed the increase in torque steer initially.

Again Pedders did this, and yes, im sure they bled the line. The wobble isnt upon braking, its actually happening with acceleration.

didn't the ZRE have like a drive shaft issue ?

who swapped your brake pads? did you bleed your brake fluids? is your tyre bruised/damaged from some unknown reason LOL?

Pedders swapped the pads, i bedded them in, thats when i noticed the issues. Yep the brakes were bled too, and we even rotated the wheels to check for wheel defects! I might just have to bite the bullet and see what the W@nkers at Toyota service say..

Putting my stockies on with the hub rings still on = [fail] and; mass wheel wobble on the way to winton track day. if this wasnt rectified at the servo on the way there might have been game over for my zre. Kudos to kenshinx who brought a jack and helped me rectify it. I didnt think that putting ur wheels and nuts on properly made such a difference. And the star pattern tightening can be the difference between smooth ride and wobbly ride.. or worse case.. wheels falling off. ekkk!

Lesson has been learnt.

• 2 weeks later...

how can this be fixed?

will i dunno how u screwed up putting your stockies on... just take it off and make sure u line the OEM rim back on the hub make sure theres no gaps.... if there is a gap and u cant put the rim back on properly then you got a problem... but if do it and u no that the rim is sitting on the hub properly then who ever balanced your rim is a doosh bag

Edited by Ray89