crossing double line roads?

EK1

hey

apparently you are allowed to cross double lines as long as you are turning into a driveway.. so i was wondering if you would get let of or fined if you crossed the double line to turn into a driveway for a few seconds and reverse back and do a sort of 3 point turn?

Im not 100% sure but i think you cant. And you cant park on the same street as your previous spot either. I think you also cant do a 3point turn on single lane roads too. Last i read of the VicRoads New Laws update anyway. Correct me if im wrong?

Might help if the OP states what state they are in (no pun intended), as little niggly rules like this have a habit of being slightly different depending on what state you are in.

hey

apparently you are allowed to cross double lines as long as you are turning into a driveway.. so i was wondering if you would get let of or fined if you crossed the double line to turn into a driveway for a few seconds and reverse back and do a sort of 3 point turn?

You said you are in NSW, but just if other people chime in with their State; QLD it is illegal to cross double white lines regardless of purpose. Same applies to a solid single line. But if there is a gap in the solid line that matches the driveway, then yes you can enter the driveway in that case.

You said you are in NSW, but just if other people chime in with their State; QLD it is illegal to cross double white lines regardless of purpose. Same applies to a solid single line. But if there is a gap in the solid line that matches the driveway, then yes you can enter the driveway in that case.

Correction on your wording. In QLD, you can cross a single white line to enter or leave a road, including entering or leaving a property, but it is illegal to cross one to do a u-turn or overtake.

Then there is the solid line with broken line on one side... but everyone should know the go with that.

Evrythin comes back to the point whether you get caught or not really... :lol:

I saw heaps of cars especially taxis do 3 point turn, U turn and evrythin and they get away with it.

With ur specific question of whether it's legal to do a 3 point turn, just don't get caught and affect the traffic flow on either side...

Evrythin comes back to the point whether you get caught or not really... :lol:

I saw heaps of cars especially taxis do 3 point turn, U turn and evrythin and they get away with it.

With ur specific question of whether it's legal to do a 3 point turn, just don't get caught and affect the traffic flow on either side...

I wouldn't really give advise like that... but hey, if you think it's right to do, then so be it.

It's like saying it's fine to run a red light at an empty intersection late at night. Despite it causing no problems because there is no one else around, a majority of people will still wait till the light turns green... because it is the law.

hey

Are you in the driveway or part in? either way you are using it as a type of u-turn so you could get booked if seen, but again depending on the officers mood and traffic flow on that particular road I guess..

Also lines or no lines you could still get booked for that,because Its against the law to reverse out of a driveway but its just one of those things you can't police,If they did no one would leave their homes :o

I wouldn't really give advise like that... but hey, if you think it's right to do, then so be it.

It's like saying it's fine to run a red light at an empty intersection late at night. Despite it causing no problems because there is no one else around, a majority of people will still wait till the light turns green... because it is the law.

The level is different. It's like stealing $5c and $10,000.

Some people won't make a u turn or 3 point turn in the city or like a toll / freeway with double lines, but some do occasional turns in residential areas with lines like those.

But traffic lights, never. Unless you can when there's a sign that says so.

But again, I agree with not advising people to break the laws. These things are those kind where drivers need to weigh with its consequences if they were caught.

Not to sure if it's still valid (someone can confirm this) but it used to be illegal to reverse out of a driveway,you had to reverse in and drive out for saftey to people walking past...more of a chance seeing them driving out nose 1st.

so breaking a solid line into a driveway and then reversing out could still be illegal...my cop mate basically told me this law is never enforced and i have never heard of anyone getting nabbed for reversing out of a driveway,but you never know. :(

this was or still is a Victorian road laws

According to NSW road users handbook

"Unless a sign tells you otherwise, you can cross any type of dividing line when turning

right at an intersection. You can also turn to the right across a dividing line to enter or

leave a property (eg home or shops) by the shortest route"

And I call BS on the "no reversing out of a driveway" law, it's the kind of thing that is applied in public carparks but defies logic and sense when you apply it to driveways. Think about it this way - if it is legal to drive nose-first into your driveway, then how are you going to turn around in your property in order to drive out nose-first again? I guarantee that NO-ONE who lives on a busy road would reverse into their driveway in traffic, otherwise it'd be absolute chaos - much easier to drive straight in, and (giving way to pedestrians of course) and wait for a gap in traffic when reversing out onto the road.