Traction

bryanml

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2nd hand Aurion and I find it has pretty poor traction when I try to take off fast from the lights or from standstill into a T-intersection. It has the original (Dunlop Sport Maxx?) tyres on it.

How much better traction would I get if I had say 17 inch alloys and Bridgestone Turanza ER300 in 235 mm wide?

Thanks for any help.

To state that the traction is pretty poor in such scenario is a misunderstanding of the car's abilities. Yes the traction may not be the gratest when you try to accelerate heavily from a standstill, but what were you expecting from a FWD with a fair amount of power and torque? Personally, for the car it is, I think the traction levels are appropriate... not poor.

Anyways, that aside you can get more traction from grippier tires. The common trade-off with this though is that you sacrifice longevity as well as cost efficiency. Grippier tires tend to be more expensive and are usually a softer compound and therefore wear quicker. Personally, if these are two factors that you don't really want to make sacrifices on, learning to apply the power smoothly and at the right rate can overcome that simple issue.

You can find lots of information on different tire brands etc by searching both the Aurion forum here as well as the Wheels and Tires section of this forum.

Also, if you were to use 17 inch wheels with a common width of 7 inches, then I would go no wider than 225. A wider tire does not always necessarily mean more grip as you don't always increase your contact patch, just alter it. As well, 235 wide tires on a 7 inch wide wheel is probably going to end up costing you more for pretty much no gain.

Rain + busy T-intersection + FWD = Worst combination ever :lol:

My car spins the wheels but aint going no where fast, hate it when that happens. Then traction control kicks in but that doesn't do much in the rain, lol.

Like DJKOR said, find the right amount of acceleration. That really does help getting you going.

Edited by unique

its not just fwds that suffer from loss of traction... rwds also suffer loss of traction from a heavy foot at the lights...

as daryl was saying, you need to learn to feed the accelerator on rather than just stomping on the loud pedal...

if you feed the gas on, you'll find that you rarely will spin the wheels... :)

Dont know if it was my GT tyres which were on their wear limit, but giving a bombadore a thrashing the other night, the traction control lit up going into second gear ! btw the boys didn't look happy. :angry:

Geez i dunno these rough Knuckle taxi drivers we have in tassie haha! Oh Scott we went down to the country club last night to check up on Foster Djiing you know making sure he was doing us proud lol and guess what i seen out the front? a Black Sportivo taxi think his rego was FLASH? So theres another taxi getting about now:P

Geez i dunno these rough Knuckle taxi drivers we have in tassie haha! Oh Scott we went down to the country club last night to check up on Foster Djiing you know making sure he was doing us proud lol and guess what i seen out the front? a Black Sportivo taxi think his rego was FLASH? So theres another taxi getting about now:P

OMG its good to know there are more out there. :yahoo:

haha yeah, far out it looked that tough out the front in a slightly dark area too looked real nice aftermarket wheels on it, pretty meanacing, thats what caught my eye and then i was like sh!t that's an Aurion

I used to be on the 17" with the stock Michelins. Everytime I wanted to make a turn after stopping it feels like the front wheels going to break the traction.

Then I went +1 to a set of 18s with the 225. I find there's more grip. The trade off is you get a lot more noise.

Edited by conroe