Dude, where's my plates?

Morequick

My plates got stolen yesterday!

my beautiful Euro plates =(

I haven't had a chance to pop-rivet them yet but I wasn't expecting them to go this quickly. My car was parked in the carport too, next to the garage.

mega-sigh, have to use boring default plates now, looks so ugly on my Aurion :(

Maybe.

But I don't have too much faith in the Police force for that too happen. When my mum's plates were pinched, I pop-riveted all my family's plates. But didn't get a chance to do mine yet because the car is new.

I suppose I should find some consolation in that my car still has 4 wheels ...

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm with you mate, I don't have much faith in the police force in catching them either. Who says I was thinking of them getting caught by the police? :whistling:

But you're right, could have been worse, not that it makes it any easier to swallow.

Wow that avatar of yours is distracting - but don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! :clap:

Why the fuk would any1 stole some1's plate.. They wouldn't even be able to use it anw..

Want to bet? I used to work in a servo, and stolen plates are often used so they drive off without paying for the tank full of fuel they just put in without it being easily traced back to them, or for other such things like speed cameras, red light cameras, and so on. Also stolen plates are often put onto stolen cars to make it harder to find the car, or on to cars that are not registered so they don't stand out as much while being driven on the street. Also, I've heard of people stealing plates just because they liked them to put them up on the wall in their house or garage for whatever reason (maybe they used to have that combo on a previous car), and finally some people are just pricks that enjoy trying to make life difficult for others.

Why the fuk would any1 stole some1's plate.. They wouldn't even be able to use it anw..

Want to bet? I used to work in a servo, and stolen plates are often used so they drive off without paying for the tank full of fuel they just put in without it being easily traced back to them, or for other such things like speed cameras, red light cameras, and so on. Also stolen plates are often put onto stolen cars to make it harder to find the car, or on to cars that are not registered so they don't stand out as much while being driven on the street. Also, I've heard of people stealing plates just because they liked them to put them up on the wall in their house or garage for whatever reason (maybe they used to have that combo on a previous car), and finally some people are just pricks that enjoy trying to make life difficult for others.

Apart from the possible illegal things you could do, I don't see the reason why any1 would want to steal some1 plates. Well, for filling petrol, that would be dumb coz cameras I've seen in gas stations are clear enough to identify from face. Not saying they're gonna get caught straight away, but still.

With it being put on on unregistered vehicle, there's a chance (even though small) on getting caught from RBT and random pull on streets which I assume the pricks who stole em wouldn't risk that. Even when you run through a traffic light / speed cameras, you attract attention to yourself, expose yourself more to the crowd and possibly police.

I don't know in other states, but here in Sydney, there is almost no day where I didn't meet / pass a single police car, both when I drive and catch a public transport and they often pull people over.. In the last month, 2-3 members of the forum got ******ers stealing from them. I believe there are lots of other people who had incidents that we're not aware of, which explains the increase number of patrols in and out the streets.

It's not like somethin much of a use, like Ipad or wheels, etc

Apart from the possible illegal things you could do, I don't see the reason why any1 would want to steal some1 plates. Well, for filling petrol, that would be dumb coz cameras I've seen in gas stations are clear enough to identify from face. Not saying they're gonna get caught straight away, but still.

With it being put on on unregistered vehicle, there's a chance (even though small) on getting caught from RBT and random pull on streets which I assume the pricks who stole em wouldn't risk that. Even when you run through a traffic light / speed cameras, you attract attention to yourself, expose yourself more to the crowd and possibly police.

I don't know in other states, but here in Sydney, there is almost no day where I didn't meet / pass a single police car, both when I drive and catch a public transport and they often pull people over.. In the last month, 2-3 members of the forum got ******ers stealing from them. I believe there are lots of other people who had incidents that we're not aware of, which explains the increase number of patrols in and out the streets.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify it, far from it, I think anyone who steals should have their head placed in a vice, or some other equal punishment.

I can understand where you're coming from, I think for some of the things I mentioned it requires a level of "outside the box" thinking. Regarding the cameras in petrol stations, while I can see your point, fact is it makes it much harder to find the thief if they have false plates on a stolen car, which will most likely get dumped rather then parked at their place of residence. And regarding speed and red light cameras - automated systems - they're not going to care if it attracts attention from an automated system, because all it'll do is generate a fine which won't go to them, and they know it.

Here in Melbourne I don't often see a marked police car, and there is also the numbers game - if they're driving in heavy traffic, they effectively blend in, and so the odds for them getting pulled over - if there was a police car to do so - drops dramatically.

I have argued for years now that what we need is much more of a visible police presence, because almost nobody would do stupid stuff if they thought there was a much higher risk of being caught.

Finally, I think you might be making the assumption that those sorts of people are worried about getting caught, when psychologically, the thrill is what drives at least some of these lowlife scumbags - if there was no risk, they may not do it, but they get a buzz out of it. Also I have heard that there is an underground market for stolen plates, so people who are after their next dose of heroin or some other drug will do it - or anything else - to feed their addiction.

Once again, I'm not trying to justify it, I have no time at all for people who steal, but sadly this is the world we live in and there are people out there like that.

Anyway, I guess we should all take this as a reminder of how important car security is - including ensuring the plates are securely attached and not easily removed by someone with a small screwdriver, because these lowlifes sadly are out there.

Make sure you report the theft to the RTA or police in case they use your plates in an armed robbery, servo drive off or some other crime.

Contrary to popular belief, at least for custom plates, the RTA is able to issue you with the same plate again.

This just means though that you might get hassled by the cops in future because they think you were the one that stole the plate!

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm with you mate, I don't have much faith in the police force in catching them either. Who says I was thinking of them getting caught by the police? :whistling:

haha ic where u're going.

Wow that avatar of yours is distracting - but don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! :clap:

it is, isn't it ;)

Ye I called the Police first, as they issue you with a Police Report Number which u take to the RTA so they can re-issue you with plates & new rego. Then have to call insurance to update them on your new plates. Such a hassle, I don't see any way around this other than pop-riveting (or 1 way screws) all my plates instead of leaving them with the standard screws.

V-FX, who knows what goes on inside the heads of these people, but if they're being used to commit a crime, I rekn the crime would probably attract more attention than the stolen plates. I don't think they'd steal it to remain incognito and below Police attention. More of a use once and dispose of item I think, than something of perpetual value.

Edited by Morequick