Which Toyota?

My brother recently got his P's, so we need to get him another car since he'll need one to travel to university in when he starts next year.

He usually takes my car out to places. Mine is a 2003 Corolla, but as I also go to university at a completely different campus, the car isn't available to him and both my parents need their cars for work, plus it's my car so I don't want him writing it off or anything alike.

Public transport isn't really an option as the university is on a completely different train line all the way out west, so it will take ages to get there, thus it's best if he goes by car.

He likes the way my Corolla drives and feels, but obviously that's my car so he won't be driving it for too long. Anyway, I'm looking for something that has the same amount of performance and also easy on petrol and most importantly safety features. V6 is out of the question here because it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to fill up, plus he's a newbie P-plater so I'm not gonna let him go anywhere near a V6.

So with his budget of under $5000, I was leaning towards an '97-00 EK Honda Civic, but maintenance costs and continual failures of the automatic transmission steered me away. So I moved on to look at the AE101R/102X series Corolla, but then I remembered why I sold my AE101... cause it wasn't very powerful and used more petrol than my ZZE122R when i worked out the fuel consumption figures.

So, I'm down for the Toyota Camry because I haven't seen any major issues with them and also because the insurance is cheap with a Camry. Plus it has a 4 cylinder 2.2L engine and fits nicely into our budget.

Now, what I want to know is would a 2.2L 1997-2000 Camry be suitable? He also asked if the Camry would be as powerful as my ZZE Corolla? I'm currently looking at the 2.2L CSi models and they don't have a drivers airbag as standard, but the conquest model on the other hand does. Would it even be merely possible to buy a cheap CSi and add an airbag to the drivers side? I have however seen a few rare CSi Camry's with a drivers airbag on carsales. Or would I be better off buying a conquest with an airbag? cause I've been told an airbag installation sometimes costs more than pay that extra $$$ for the next model up?

Thanks.

If you are concerned about the safety feature of an airbag, get a model that comes with them. Fitting them to a car which did not have them (but had it as an option on a higher grade), though possible, is not really recommended as it can cost a bit and it's function is not guaranteed.

can your brother drive a manual, stevo? because i would recommmend you getting him something with a manual gearbox, because they're perform better, more fuel efficient and apperently they cost less to buy and repair.

Unfortunately he can't drive a manual and neither can I. I spoke to a few family members who also drive Camry's and they all drive the V6 versions. They said it was better to opt for the V6 model because it offered better performance response, was more quieter and that the 2.2L isn't really worth it because it only uses a few litres less in petrol per 100KMs, and also the V6 model is more reliable in some aspects... or so I've been told. So I guess I'll be looking for a V6 MCV20R instead... but of course the Conquest model (comes with dual airbags and power windows too) and not the CSi.

Let's just hope newbie P-plater + V6 Camry = no stupidity on the road. O.o

I want to be able to use this car as well on those long road trips down the coast...

Edited by stevo1210

Unfortunately he can't drive a manual and neither can I. I spoke to a few family members who also drive Camry's and they all drive the V6 versions. They said it was better to opt for the V6 model because it offered better performance response, was more quieter and that the 2.2L isn't really worth it because it only uses a few litres less in petrol per 100KMs, and also the V6 model is more reliable in some aspects... or so I've been told. So I guess I'll be looking for a V6 MCV20R instead... but of course the Conquest model (comes with dual airbags and power windows too) and not the CSi.

I want to be able to use this car as well on those long road trips down the coast...

I have a gen 4 camry..the MCV20R..its simply flawless..and the fuel consumption is pretty good making the 4 cyl version really not worth at all. Plus its a nice V6 to drive..although i have to admit a V6 camry can be used in a stupid way if you need to..dont undestimate it ;)

hmm I learnt to drive on my mum's 5th gen Camry V6 and drove it for half a year on my red P's before I got my own car. I've always found it to be like a rock, acceleration was really slow, and you had to use some force on the gas pedal for it to move with any urgency, I don't see how you can hoon around in it lol, despite being V6 (unless extensive mods were made).

My current Aurion SX6 on the other hand goes much faster from a standstill haha, the gas pedal is so much softer compared to the gen 5 Camry and wants to be floored. Even though the Aurion has a lot of power at hand, I try to drive as responsibly as possible as I'm still on my red P's and my work necessitates me having my own transport, as well as setting a good example for younger siblings soon to get their licence.

I do understand the concern to try and minimise the chances for your brother to hoon around, you would know your brother better than your parents lol and I think you have nothing to worry about with the V6 Camry, its really too big/heavy and not powerful enough to do considerable damage.

hmm I learnt to drive on my mum's 5th gen Camry V6 and drove it for half a year on my red P's before I got my own car. I've always found it to be like a rock, acceleration was really slow, and you had to use some force on the gas pedal for it to move with any urgency, I don't see how you can hoon around in it lol, despite being V6 (unless extensive mods were made).

My current Aurion SX6 on the other hand goes much faster from a standstill haha, the gas pedal is so much softer compared to the gen 5 Camry and wants to be floored. Even though the Aurion has a lot of power at hand, I try to drive as responsibly as possible as I'm still on my red P's and my work necessitates me having my own transport, as well as setting a good example for younger siblings soon to get their licence.

I do understand the concern to try and minimise the chances for your brother to hoon around, you would know your brother better than your parents lol and I think you have nothing to worry about with the V6 Camry, its really too big/heavy and not powerful enough to do considerable damage.

LOL the Aurion i can totally understand. it's soooo powerful with over 200KW at hand... compared to the Camry with only 140-something KW's at hand. But yes, I would want it to be in a reasonable range like your description of a rock cause it can minimize some stupidity behind the wheel.

I on the other hand will probably spend more time hooning around in that Camry when I can get my hands on it. So far on my modifications list is 17" alloys and subwoofers in the boot. :)

My ZZE will still remain a virgin till the day I sell it. I can bare to see it with any modifications apart from a set of decent set of alloy wheels or maybe a new head unit and that'll be about it.

I on the other hand will probably spend more time hooning around in that Camry when I can get my hands on it.

Goodluck,, Hope u dont get caught or knock someone off the street :ph34r:

i've been in a gen 5 camry('99 v6 CSI), and it just wasn't fast enough to be driving unresponsibly-it has about 120-130kw in their engines. the cars light as well, weighing in at 1300kg thererabouts, meaning better handling resulting in more safety. there's something to make you less worried, stevo.

i've been in a gen 5 camry('99 v6 CSI), and it just wasn't fast enough to be driving unresponsibly-it has about 120-130kw in their engines. the cars light as well, weighing in at 1300kg thererabouts, meaning better handling resulting in more safety. there's something to make you less worried, stevo.

Are you talking about the Toyota Camry (XV20)? Isn't that the 4th gen Camry as the 5th gen wasn't out until 2001/

its the person not that car :P ive seen newbie p plater + 3 cyl daihatsu do many stupid things :rolleyes: !!!!

go the v6 :)

Are you talking about the Toyota Camry (XV20)? Isn't that the 4th gen Camry as the 5th gen wasn't out until 2001/

Depends if you count the Celica Camry or not :P

Besides, the XV20s had the 1MZ and 140kw (not 120-130, even the widebody had 136kw from the 3VZ)

its the person not that car :P ive seen newbie p plater + 3 cyl daihatsu do many stupid things :rolleyes: !!!!

Forget about the difference between V6, 4 cylinder, model number etc. IT IS THE DRIVER who determines 99% of the safety of the passengers in a car. Sure, some idiot can take you out & being in a "safer" car will help you (depending on impact of course). I've driven plenty of slow cars that I could still have died in if I wasn't concentrating on "good driving".

Good driving means excellent awareness of what is around you at all times. Other cars, people, conditions on the road and experience are all more important factors than speed alone. Being a young P plate driver means the experience is not there, the other factors are under your control though & if you make good judgements you will be safe.

Most fatal road accidents in WA are on country roads, often with no other cars around for miles, even on straight roads!! Why you ask??

Usually because the driver has made a mistake, not the car, not the speed limit set (110) but driver error.

Learn to drive properly and consider others on the roads and you will stay safe.

Forget about the difference between V6, 4 cylinder, model number etc. IT IS THE DRIVER who determines 99% of the safety of the passengers in a car. Sure, some idiot can take you out & being in a "safer" car will help you (depending on impact of course). I've driven plenty of slow cars that I could still have died in if I wasn't concentrating on "good driving".

Good driving means excellent awareness of what is around you at all times. Other cars, people, conditions on the road and experience are all more important factors than speed alone. Being a young P plate driver means the experience is not there, the other factors are under your control though & if you make good judgements you will be safe.

Most fatal road accidents in WA are on country roads, often with no other cars around for miles, even on straight roads!! Why you ask??

Usually because the driver has made a mistake, not the car, not the speed limit set (110) but driver error.

Learn to drive properly and consider others on the roads and you will stay safe.

Yeah, it's definitely the driver. In my opinion it's not the speed that kills but the in-experience. All those stupid television ad's with "you speed, you die" etc. slogans would be totally wrong... if that were the case, anyone who speed automatically dies.

Then one day the RTA decided to restrict P-platers from driving V8's and super/turbo charged cars. That is also wrong as I have seen many V8 commodores and falcons not be able to take on a 3.5L V6 Aurion, yet the Toyota Aurion is still faster and stronger... why not ban the Aurion from P-platers then? Even speaking of cars from the same company say a 1980's V8 Holden vs. a Newer V6 Holden. The V6 Holden Commodore would be much, much faster and powerful that the older 1980's V8, but the V8 gets a ban.

It should be a power to weight thing and not purely based on just engine displacement.

It should be a power to weight thing and not purely based on just engine displacement.

Pretty sure the Vic Roads P plater laws used to be power to weight ratio, something like 125kW per tonne.. but I think they got rid of that :blink: