Fart Can

Hey guys,

Im finally starting to mod my car,

Im on a really low budget though,

I want to get a beefier sound from the exhaust as all I can hear when I rev at the moment is the engine.

I cant go spending heaps of money, so I was thinking of just getting a cannon from supercheap for $100 and getting it welded for $40.

Should I or shouldnt I? Just worried about the quality and sound levels that it will produce.

Is there something better that I can get for not much more?

hmmmmmmmm.

Want, Growl.

Need, Dignity.

save the $, save for how ever long u need to get a custom exhaust, just dont get a canon, i saw 1 yesterday, great western HWY, at Kingswood station, at subway, auto, it had a canon, worst sound ever....

get cat back exhaust or just straight through muffler to start with to see whether you can bear it or not.

Here's an example of how "gay" and loud a cannon on ZRE sounds... not a bad note but geez can you imagine how annoying it'll get when cruising ;) :P

Yeah, you dont want a cannon mate. Cannon exhausts are sorta been there done that, and you get over the whole loud note it produces and the drone at lower rpms/idle just isnt worth it.

Try an exhaust shop to do a custom muffler axelback, still quite silent with a nice burble and only roars when you punch it. Might be the cheapest alternative atm.

A few of us have got TRD muffler axelback, subtle, quiet until you give it some. Be prepared for some pain in your wallet though.

Others have done custom mufflers, XForce Twinloop S10 and Varex Mufflers. Try sourcing the muffler yourself, Ebay/exhaust shops/Importing and get a shop to just install it for you. Dont go cheap supercheap auto/autobarn gear and expect the best quality.

You can try whatever you want, end of the day its your car, catback can be quite loud and attention grabbing, unless thats what you want.

See how you go.

The cannon causes an increase in back pressure and a loss in power because of it. Save the $140 for something worthwhile. Cold air intake, brake pads, exhaust, suspension, strut bars, anti-roll bars. Those items will improve the car greatly and will be more rewarding. If funds are low, just hold off until funds are available.

Well when I've got my dubstep blasting, I should just be able to hear it.

Plus I can put a silencer in it which will allow me hear it, but it won't be overpowering.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind so you might as well buy the damn thing and put it on.

dw mate. I've got a red ZRE ascent and its also my first car. What tends to happen with people like us is we've got little money but want to mod our car with inexpensive mods. In the end its going to cost you more to buy a canon, dislike the sound after 2 weeks then look for a better muffler. I did things like different hub caps, sony subwoofer and amp, cheap lock nuts, and i've just ended up selling them for less than what i purchased it for or they sit in the garage now.

So my advice is to just take it slow, save your money and time and do it right the first time

Hey guys,

Im finally starting to mod my car,

Im on a really low budget though,

I want to get a beefier sound from the exhaust as all I can hear when I rev at the moment is the engine.

I cant go spending heaps of money, so I was thinking of just getting a cannon from supercheap for $100 and getting it welded for $40.

Should I or shouldnt I? Just worried about the quality and sound levels that it will produce.

Is there something better that I can get for not much more?

CES CAI FTW. Just ask the brissy guys, they have heard it :)

CES CAI FTW. Just ask the brissy guys, they have heard it :)

Since you said it, now I don't have to keep my mouth shut! Lovin' it Pete? :P

Like others have said already, money can be spent better on something else. Money you said was an issue, definitely save it then and buy something better. In my opinion, get a cold air intake; it might be twice as much but at least 10 times more enjoyment than a canon. I personally do not like when I see cars with a canon on the road, for many reasons I will not say.

And please do not take it personally, I'm just offering my opinion (like the others) and do not mean to offend you in any way (just to make that clear). End of the day, if you want one, no one can stop you because it's your car, and you decide what look what you're after. :)

Peter.

if its just the muffler, it wont be very loud, assuming the model corolla you have has a centermuffler/resonator.

cat back would make that **** loud, depending on the gear you use.