Timing belt & Tyres

Hi mates

I am dumb in car domain as I am an IT expert :)

I intend to buy a car but concern about the subject items . upon inspection of the car , how would i know that this car need tyre change and timing belt change.

are Kms give some clue ?

I guess these items incurs significant amount of money.

thanks in adv

If you check your service book it will tell you when to change the timing belt. Mainly it's a certain kms and time (from memory it's 100000km or 10 years). Tyres have a wear indicator on the water channels. I would replace the tyre even before the level of rubber is level with the wear indicator because you would most likely be aquaplaning when it reaches there.

If you check your service book it will tell you when to change the timing belt. Mainly it's a certain kms and time (from memory it's 100000km or 10 years). Tyres have a wear indicator on the water channels. I would replace the tyre even before the level of rubber is level with the wear indicator because you would most likely be aquaplaning when it reaches there.

thanks for your response

The car I am looking at the moment all are 10 years old and got around 180k + kms . Looks like i must need to ask about the timing belt details at the time of the deal otherwise i must need to get it changed immediately after the purchase.

pls comment

thnx

It will probably depend on if the car is a 4 or 6 cylinder. I have a '99 Camry V6 and the timing belt is changed at 150,000 or 10 years. If it's a 4 cylinder, then it maybe 100,000. If the timing belt was changed the repairer should have placed a sticker on the timing belt cover, indicating the date and mileage the timing belt was replaced.

Also, check the colour of the oil in the engine (oil should be clear - light brown), and if an automatic (oil should be a pink colour and not a burnt smell).

Edited by Ozzcaddy

thanks Guys , appreciated

I never done the RACV inspection before , do they cover timing belt and tyres as well?

secondly , i heard that RACV guys bit fussy about place where to inspect and so many conditions to fulfill.

please advise

thanks