Lights on during day, Yes / No?

I have seen this topic being thrown about by various motor groups as a way to reduce accidents. The question is should it be made law to drive with your lights on during the day? and I guess secondly do you already do it?

Personally I do. I drive a Prius company car and an Aurion for personal use. Both have the setting where the lights come on as soon as the car starts and turn off automatically as soon as the engine is stopped and you open the drivers door.

This means you never forget to turn them off and run the risk of a flat battery.

I got my driver licence in Europe 12yrs ago and it was then law in my home country to have lights on at all times when driving so for me it is also a natural thing. The argument was that reduces accidents as even in sharp sunlight it is easier to see other cars.

My pet hate is also when people do not have their lights on when it rains - it does make a difference.....

If I was to answer you initial question, I would have to say no to it being the law... and no I don't drive with my lights on during the day unless it is raining.

Personally, the way people drive as it is over here, having lights on or not during the day isn't something I would see as an effective way to reduce accidents.

Also, definitely not be law. I don't drive with them on during the day unless the light is dull, it's raining or I'm in a tunnel. The only other time is late in the afternoon when the sun is low, and those drivers driving into the suns direction, I will put the lights on if I'm traveling in the opposite direction just to highlight my position on the road.

i agree with those who think the lights should be on only when necessary, meaning during nighttime or when the visablity is poor. what is the difference between having the lights on and off during the day where visability is normal?

Hmm, having done a fair bit of country driving, you see signs everywhere telling you to turn on your lights - even during the day. I personally think that on long roads, it does make yourself more visible from a further distance (cos you see the shimmer of the headlights as people drive towards you).

Having said that though I only do this out in the country, not on my day-to-day commutes.

Hmm, having done a fair bit of country driving, you see signs everywhere telling you to turn on your lights - even during the day.

Ive seen alot of those signs aswell in country areas. I guess thats because of weather conditions, extra saftey, slow coaches and caution for tired drivers coming from the opposite direction.