Extended factory warranty

bangweulu

My 2008 LC is approaching the end of its 3 year factory warranty (May 2011). Toyota have offered another 3 years full factory warranty for $1800 (approx.). Sounds like a lot of money but I wonder what other owners think? Any 200 series owners extended their car's warranty? From a resale point of view it would have a lot of appeal. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

You raised a point that might be worthwhile looking into, with regards to the resale aspect. Does the extended warranty go with the car when there is a change of ownership? like original factory warranty.

...2008 LC. Toyota have offered another 3 years full factory warranty for $1800 (approx.).

Personally, if it as true as it seems, I'd jump at it.

From other forums - the price of the extended warranty, if buying a new car today (for a LC200) is around $1600-$1700. This price has a small amount of wiggle/negotiation room, so perhaps you can haggle a bit.

Yes, if it is FACTORY warranty, then it goes with the car (therefore improving resale).

However - I am skeptical. Perhaps it is the pessimism in me - however, I have approached (previously) my dealer, to get the factory warranty extended and they have knocked me back. I was told (and again, it has been relayed similarly on other forums) that Factory warranty can only be purchased at time of buying the new car.

There is another warranty, that kicks in (at your option -money involved) which is covered by an insurance company. It has NOTHING (what so ever) to do with Toyota (except, they sell it). So, if an item is found and your Toyota service says that is a manufacturer fault/warranty item, they pass this info on to the insurance company. The company then looks up the records (that they have been given access to by Toyota) and it isn't mentioned, or falls outside of "Toyota guidelines", they won't pay out. It is always the insurance company's discretion (regardless of what Toyota say).

My point here is - read the contract before you sign up and hand over your heard earned dollars. If it is a Toyota Factory one, personally, I would jump at it (and pm me which dealer you are using, because I will approach him to get leverage with my dealer). If it the insurance one - read the contract (and imho, I think it would be throwing money away).

Of course - you still have some recourse with Toyota, even if out of warranty, if it can be demonstrated that others were replaced under warranty. In the case of the LC200, that would include things like the vacuum pump (for excessive oil usage) the tailshaft (re: the clunk), and the list goes on. You might be hard pressed to claim things under warranty (when outside of the normal period), but there is some argument to be had and it should be 'represented' back up the line, on your behalf.

Good luck

Regards

Geoff (I have a 2008 LC200 TTD)

G'day all

I purchased my 2007 LC200 Sahara (used) last month and as the original factory warranty was about to expire I was offered a 3 year extended factory warranty (which I took up) for $1944.

No insurance company involved, it is a genuine warranty.

Regards

Tubby

Its pretty much your personal choice if you want to get extended warranty..

In the last 5 years i have only made one warranty claim which was the alternator.

Have you made any warranty claims in the last 3 years.

$1800 sounds like alot. if you can get it for less then $1200 then that may be ok.

If it was my personal choice id let this one slide :)

I was told that NRMA do a full end of warranty vehicle inspection for a few hundred dollars. this way you can take your vehicle to toyota and give them the list of parts that needs to be replaced under warranty :)

Gent's, I think Chadstone Toyota were doing a deal on ($1400 rings a bell but might be wrong) this and was covered on LCOOL. With some of the issues still ongoing and one injector costing around $1200 MAYBE it is worth looking at. Do a search on LCOOL to see the relevant thread for further discussions on it.

Cheers

...2008 LC. Toyota have offered another 3 years full factory warranty for $1800 (approx.).

Personally, if it as true as it seems, I'd jump at it.

From other forums - the price of the extended warranty, if buying a new car today (for a LC200) is around $1600-$1700. This price has a small amount of wiggle/negotiation room, so perhaps you can haggle a bit.

Yes, if it is FACTORY warranty, then it goes with the car (therefore improving resale).

However - I am skeptical. Perhaps it is the pessimism in me - however, I have approached (previously) my dealer, to get the factory warranty extended and they have knocked me back. I was told (and again, it has been relayed similarly on other forums) that Factory warranty can only be purchased at time of buying the new car.

There is another warranty, that kicks in (at your option -money involved) which is covered by an insurance company. It has NOTHING (what so ever) to do with Toyota (except, they sell it). So, if an item is found and your Toyota service says that is a manufacturer fault/warranty item, they pass this info on to the insurance company. The company then looks up the records (that they have been given access to by Toyota) and it isn't mentioned, or falls outside of "Toyota guidelines", they won't pay out. It is always the insurance company's discretion (regardless of what Toyota say).

My point here is - read the contract before you sign up and hand over your heard earned dollars. If it is a Toyota Factory one, personally, I would jump at it (and pm me which dealer you are using, because I will approach him to get leverage with my dealer). If it the insurance one - read the contract (and imho, I think it would be throwing money away).

Of course - you still have some recourse with Toyota, even if out of warranty, if it can be demonstrated that others were replaced under warranty. In the case of the LC200, that would include things like the vacuum pump (for excessive oil usage) the tailshaft (re: the clunk), and the list goes on. You might be hard pressed to claim things under warranty (when outside of the normal period), but there is some argument to be had and it should be 'represented' back up the line, on your behalf.

Good luck

Regards

Geoff (I have a 2008 LC200 TTD)

Gent's, I think Chadstone Toyota were doing a deal on ($1400 rings a bell but might be wrong) this and was covered on LCOOL. With some of the issues still ongoing and one injector costing around $1200 MAYBE it is worth looking at. Do a search on LCOOL to see the relevant thread for further discussions on it.

Cheers

The offer is a 3 year extension of the full factory warranty. The letter said the offer was being made as the car had travelled less than average kms (50,000kms) and (I think) something to do with its complete service record. Going on my faulty memory here. Anyway I'll probably take it up despite the fact that I've had zero problems with the vehicle (touch wood). Murphy's law is alive an well.

PS The dealer is Ballina Toyota.