Corolla GTi... Random air intake box??

Hey All

Currently I'm needing to replace one of the air pipes on my '92 4A-GE GTi Corolla, and I stumbled across a random box attached to the pipe. I've recently had the box off and there doesn't seem to be anything connected to it or inside of it, so I was just wondering:

a ) What the heck is it; and

b ) Whether it is vital to my car running normally.

I then went on to try and find if there was anything inscribed in the plastic, and didn't end up with much. The only thing I came across was the manufacturers name 'Denso'... :g:

Here are some pics:

post-22969-0-61396000-1296813235_thumb.jpost-22969-0-90304000-1296813264_thumb.jpost-22969-0-04594000-1296813277_thumb.j

As I said, I haven't got the slightest clue as to what it could be or its purpose, so any information on it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

It's a resonance baffle. Well, not sure if that's the correct name for it, but what it does it reduce the intake sound.

There is another one located in behind the passenger side front 1/4 panel, if you take out the intake piping from behind the headlight up to the airbox, you'll see a hole down next to the battery, that leads to another one of these plastic boxes which is much bigger.

What it does is exactly the same as when you blow over the top of a bottle to create a whistle. Now I can't explain it correctly, but if you have that being done the right way, it can cancel out other noises. That's what these do, they cancel out some of the induction roar and make the engine seem quieter.

It's not vital to the engine running, however you can't just remove it, you'd also have to plug the hole it would leave somehow. Unless it's cracked, I'd leave it there.

The other one behind the guard you could remove if you want for a cheap cold air intake and a tiny bit more induction roar,