suspicious oil leak

SCOOTA44

I have noticed an oil leak on the right side of the engine which has coated the power steering pump with oil and down to the bottom of the engine, but not enough to leave a puddle under the car. I had the vvti hose replaced on a recall a long time back, could it be this? as i cant source the leak.

The best thing to do would be to get some degreaser in there and clean it up. Then continue to monitor it, looking for anywhere that oil starts to appear. Hopefully there won't be any leaks.

Oil does have a tendency to stick around for a bit and changing the VVT-i oil line could have created a bit of spill which they may not have cleaned up.

The best thing to do would be to get some degreaser in there and clean it up. Then continue to monitor it, looking for anywhere that oil starts to appear. Hopefully there won't be any leaks.

Oil does have a tendency to stick around for a bit and changing the VVT-i oil line could have created a bit of spill which they may not have cleaned up.

Thanks Daryl, we did clean it off once,and it has returned. The leak is very hard to trace as its above the power steering pump, so I spose it could either be the vvt-i hose or the rocker cover, have to change spark plugs shortly so they may get a better idea with the intake chamber removed.

• 4 weeks later...

Was told yesterday that when they took the engine out the oil leak was coming from the timing chain cover, would take 14 hours to fix at a quote price of $2800 !!!WTF?

Was told yesterday that when they took the engine out the oil leak was coming from the timing chain cover, would take 14 hours to fix at a quote price of $2800 !!!WTF?

wow , that is pretty pricey. i have seen a few klugers and aurions with timing case leaks and a few for vvti controller replacements - in both cases the engine is required to come out as the timing case will not fit out between the engine and chasis rail.

i did have 1 guy who thought it could be done but the crank snout is too long and the alloy timing case will not fit over the end to pass through.

the reseal does involve a few parts , both rocker covers have to come off the 2 piece sump , inlet manifold plenum chamber and all associated gaskets and orings. hi pressure oil feeds thru the rocker covers to the vvti control valves and its important to change them.

its is annoying if your vehicle isn't under warranty , all the ones ive sen so far have been warranty jobs.

wow , that is pretty pricey. i have seen a few klugers and aurions with timing case leaks and a few for vvti controller replacements - in both cases the engine is required to come out as the timing case will not fit out between the engine and chasis rail.

i did have 1 guy who thought it could be done but the crank snout is too long and the alloy timing case will not fit over the end to pass through.

the reseal does involve a few parts , both rocker covers have to come off the 2 piece sump , inlet manifold plenum chamber and all associated gaskets and orings. hi pressure oil feeds thru the rocker covers to the vvti control valves and its important to change them.

its is annoying if your vehicle isn't under warranty , all the ones ive sen so far have been warranty jobs.

I can see why it would take 14 hours to do. Not easy to work on, and i think the sealant is durable enough, as i had sealant failure on my camry V6 as well. Im starting to feel disapointed with it all.

I can see why it would take 14 hours to do. Not easy to work on, and i think the sealant is durable enough, as i had sealant failure on my camry V6 as well. Im starting to feel disapointed with it all.

do you have any rattle noises on startup ????. if the car sat for a few hours and you start it can you hear a distinct rattle for 2 -5 secs ?. if you did you might ask the dealer to try for toyota assistance with a vvti controller rattle (recognised as an issue with a small amount of 2gr's) replacement. i know yours has a few klms but its no skin off the dealer nose. just a warranty administrator inputting a warranty request.. just a thought ??? :unsure:

do you have any rattle noises on startup ????. if the car sat for a few hours and you start it can you hear a distinct rattle for 2 -5 secs ?. if you did you might ask the dealer to try for toyota assistance with a vvti controller rattle (recognised as an issue with a small amount of 2gr's) replacement. i know yours has a few klms but its no skin off the dealer nose. just a warranty administrator inputting a warranty request.. just a thought ??? :unsure:

No apparent rattles other than the ABS self check, I dont think I will push them, im getting the radiator replaced at no extra cost. new tranny and tourqe converter hopefully finished tomorrow, cant afford anything else to go wrong.