Corolla Exhaust Options - AE101R Hatch

Hey guys,

After the wedding, I'm contemplating putting an exhaust on the rolla. Only problem is I'm not quite sure which way to go. I used to own a Honda Civic (EG) and I bought a cheap cannon off a forum and got it put on and it sounded wicked. Nice note, not too farty, not too drony or loud, just right - a goldilocks muffler if u will. I didn't have extractors or a hi-flow cat or anything like that, just a cannon. Obviously Hondas are different, however I wanted to know what the general opinion is around here.

I know cannons are w a n k y most of the time, and also most of the time they sound like crap. Like I said, I had one lucky experience, but does anyone have any recommendations on what I could go with for an axle back set up just to make it sound a bit better in the short term, and something that could obviously be retained when / if I eventually go to a full exhaust set up with extractors, hi flow cat, etc... Especially if anyone has actually done it to this model or knows of someone who has, that would be a big bonus and a big help.

Cheers,

Edited by Stewbie

Yeah when i went to buy a sportivo the old lady had a canon on it because she likes a bit of noise and i was spewing considering te fact i thught it was a full exhaust but my exhaust guy said it wasnt a cheap one and i reacon it sounded heaps better then my full exhaust system.

2" or 2.25" oval muffler from redback or wat ever the cheap aussie brand is.

had one on my ae86 and did the job pretty well

Did some research, and Lukey mufflers aren't that expensive, depending on what ur definition of expensive is i guess Ash... for a good muffler I was expecting to pay anywhere up to $220 or so... so by definition at $115 for the one I think I'm going to need, I'm doing well...

Gonna see what Rite Price can get me one for or how much they'd charge to put it on if I purchased it... Or even what their recommendations are... They've always done me right with exhausts in the past. How they managed to make the cannon on my civic sound mint is beyond me because it was an old clapped out cannon and I had an old cat (OEM one to be precise) so as dodgy and random as they may seem, I swear by them (until they **** something up) lol...

In all honesty, if I purchase it myself, including installation, I'm gonna come in at under $200, which I can handle, but I think this is the way i'm gonna go...

next on the list... headers lol...

That was for the most expensive one. Just went to right price and asked them and they told me lukey mufflers are so cheap now because they're not hand made anymore. And that they're no better than a red back. They quoted me a cat back 2" system with tip, installed, custom and guaranteed to sound good for between $205 and $270 depending on what tiP I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Stick a turbo or chuck in a 4agze/gte in it and the bitch will be fast.

Btw Stewby, i have a set of pacemaker or was it genie headers for a 4afe laying around (ae 101 4a-fe too). And bonus they're ceramic coated in black. PM me if you're interested.

How about a remus muffler? Some of them sound super horn! Bit exy though but maybe find one second hand?

• 1 month later...

A couple of months late, but incase you have not already got an exhaust on our AE101R we went a 2 1/4" cat back. Using a long hotdog under the back seat and a offset straight through glass packed muffler on the back, existing via a s/s tip. Sounds pretty decent, way better than a farty cannon.

An idea of the muffler I'm talking about it here; but make sure it is glass packed.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/popup_image.php?pID=530&osCsid=af019aa4e1c2a203a1a4c87234ff6dba

QldKev

Edited by QldKev

appreciated... still haven't done the exhaust yet... i think i'm gonna go a 2" cat back system in the same configuration as you suggested with a redback muffler. The exhaust shop I frequent has done several of them before on AE101 - AE112's and says its the best result they get... 2 1/4" could run the risk of losing some compression they said... i'm happy with a 2" anyway... i had an epic cannon on my civic but i know i won't be that lucky twice... lol it wasn't farty either...

appreciated... still haven't done the exhaust yet... i think i'm gonna go a 2" cat back system in the same configuration as you suggested with a redback muffler. The exhaust shop I frequent has done several of them before on AE101 - AE112's and says its the best result they get... 2 1/4" could run the risk of losing some compression they said... i'm happy with a 2" anyway... i had an epic cannon on my civic but i know i won't be that lucky twice... lol it wasn't farty either...

When I come up for the National meet I'll show you what a 2 1/4" cat-back (extractors and 2" pre-cat) with hotdog and Lukey Ultraflow sounds like on a 7AFE :P

Lol U'll have to give me all the specs so I can give my performance shop mate at the coast a shopping list. Goodbye tax return. Lol.

When I come up for the National meet I'll show you what a 2 1/4" cat-back (extractors and 2" pre-cat) with hotdog and Lukey Ultraflow sounds like on a 7AFE :P